A day of Firsts and Reflection.......

Well it goes without saying that we needed that and a slight air of belief was visibly seen creeping back into some of the fans exiting the ground over the somme (car park) back to their cars and making their way home.

But yesterday apart from having my first legal alcoholic beverage in the chaddy I did something that really shocked me to the core!

I found myself watching the Football League show and agreeing 100% with Steve Claridge!!

When it was suggested to Steve that Simon Corney would quit if we got relegated he was rightly so bemused.
He went on to say it’s easy for people to offer critique but how many people would step up to the mark and take over?

“You have got to be careful what you wish for at times".

Everyone on here has an opinion about Simon Corney but in the cold light of day and if we were to look at the books realistically The three Amigos saved us and Simon carried on throwing good money after Bad and continues to operate this club to the best of his abilities both financially and ethically.

The reason for the tone of my post is that after being shocked at myself agreeing with steve, it reminded me that I found myself sat in my seat looking at the Rocky yesterday wondering why on earth such a fuss was made and decisions reversed for what seemed to be so few fans that actually stayed in the Rocky?

Has social media, Facebook & OWTB become the scourge of the Oldham Athletic boardroom and decision making process for the greater good?

We have a Chairman that has put his all on the line for us and continues to do so when many more would have walked away and did.

He's come out and made such a sweeping statement and I can’t help but feel its partly down to the attitudes of some people on here and the tedious rigmaroles we have to go through when trying to keep the cyber fan happy!!

Personally I think we should have more dialogue with the club through the trust and feedback should be fed through that way rather than the 'fan' who may or may not attend games that make their voices heard loudest on decisions that don’t really affect them whilst sat at home on their PC's.

Thoughts Welcome....
(I appreciate the contradictions in posting on here saying this, but Barry and a meeting is nowhere to be seen....YET lol)

Its more about how detrimental owtb forum is and has been to latics over the years. Do the positives outweigh the negatives or vice versa.

If the decision makers at Boundary Park use owtb and other social media as a way of gathering an understanding of different views, taking time to read between the lines and identify balance where it exists, then it's a positive.

If they're stupid enough to make decisions based on short term mood swings of the masses then more fool them. It's like running your business based on the inane noises of a drunk in a pub.

I've seen some nonsense spouted on here. Doubtless I've supplied a bit of it. But there are a lot of balanced and sensible views expressed and reasoned debate does take place.

If owtb has been detrimental to the club that's the fault of those running the club. Not the messageboard.

If the decision makers at Boundary Park use owtb and other social media as a way of gathering an understanding of different views, taking time to read between the lines and identify balance where it exists, then it's a positive.

If they're stupid enough to make decisions based on short term mood swings of the masses then more fool them. It's like running your business based on the inane noises of a drunk in a pub.

I've seen some nonsense spouted on here. Doubtless I've supplied a bit of it. But there are a lot of balanced and sensible views expressed and reasoned debate does take place.

If owtb has been detrimental to the club that's the fault of those running the club. Not the messageboard.

agreed.

Exactly.

If anyone connected with the club takes what's written on here with anything other than a pinch of salt, the club really is in trouble..

wheres my double vodke red bull and jagerbomb ???

As busy as the messageboards and Twitter can get, most people inside Boundary Park yesterday still just follows latics by going to the match and maybe reading the Chron.

Amazing though it may seem, there are people who don't bother accessing OWTB, Facebook, Twitter, the Chron, the MEN or the Club's OS, but they still turn up at BP regularly. They are worthy of consultation on proposals affecting them, but it can only be done via flyers given out on the turnstiles.

I was actually really pissed off at the tone of Claridges response.

For what it's worth I completely support Corney and am firmly in the camp that he has - despite the tough times and poor decisions at times - managed to support the club when others may have walked........

That said, Steve Claridge will know next to nothing about our club and I found his tone patronising and condescending. Would he have said the same about a 'bigger' club - I think not.

For what it's worth I completely support Corney and am firmly in the camp that he has - despite the tough times and poor decisions at times - managed to support the club when others may have walked........

That said, Steve Claridge will know next to nothing about our club and I found his tone patronising and condescending. Would he have said the same about a 'bigger' club - I think not.

Meant nothing, coming from the worst pundit in football history.

The stuttering "what's that?...Cos...he appointed the manager, you mean...?" start to his response said it all. Yeah, feel free to do no research before the programme on the points that you're giving your 'expert opinion' on, it's not like you're getting paid handsomely for this.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Yeah, there's always quality like Andy Townsend and Niall Quinn on other channels.

I can't believe no broadcaster ever bagged Jon Gregory.

They are just as :censored:e, Only i don't have to pay towards their over inflated sallaries O4u.