career record

was thinking about replying to the port vale thread below but then after reading Q1 on history as a fan started to think about my career record watching latics since late 80s

with our dire league record generally being around pl 46, w 12, d 12, l 22 .....and me watching roughly 20 games a season, to which i usually seem to pick the losses quite well, i rec my career watching record must be something close to

w 90, d 115, l 225

that means a loss rate of 50% or just higher. wondering if anyone on here recs they may have a lower than 50% loss rate for career games watched. and if so if you could message me the games ur planning to go to this yr that would help!!

Some more for you O4U

Last 124 league games at BP = 37 wins and only 130 goals scored at BP since Sheridan's sacking (March 2009) (Royle, Penney, Dickov, Johnson) (March 2009-August2014)

Previous 124 league games = 59 wins and 197 goals scored (Talbot, Moore, Shez) Dec 2003 - March 2009)

Edited by oafcprozac

Some more for you O4U

Last 124 league games at BP = 37 wins and only 130 goals scored at BP since Sheridan's sacking (March 2009) (Royle, Penney, Dickov, Johnson) (March 2009-August2014)

Previous 124 league games = 59 wins and 197 goals scored (Talbot, Moore, Shez) Dec 2003 - March 2009)

Stark facts there.

And I don't remember being bowled over by the entertaining calavier teams of Talbot and Moore at the time.

With 18 years in this division, and the previous few battling and eventually losing to relegation in the division above, we have had nothing other than a couple of FA Cup upsets and 2 play-off semi-finals to entice us down the ground formally known as boundary Park.

No tangible success for a generation.

In addition to the faithful that are finding it harder and harder to summon up the energy to get themselves along on matchdays, I'd guess that the old guard are dying off quicker than new blood are joining.

That pretty much sums it up. We're not going to attract the same number of young fans we did pre- the Premier League TV deal era.

Maybe.

But then again there is potential out there.

There is a lapsed generation of Latics fans that did watch during the first Joe Royle era that can and have been tempted back for the odd big game that we have had over the last 20 depressing years, and with them will be a younger generation of children that could be enticed if the circumstances are right.

The interest in the Premiership has its downsides, but the popularity of football is bigger as a result. Again get the right circumstances and this general popularity can be turned into bums on seats.

The ground is one set of circumstances that needs to be right. Once the current development is completed we would have a ground good enough for people to come - so as long as the stand continues (it does seem to have stalled at the moment but could easily hit the timescales of the back end of this season) I don't think we need worry about that.

The second and most important point is success. Success is what always changes attendances. Prior to cup success of the 'pinch me' season I recall some pretty dismal attendances at BP, but a season of big cup games built the league attendances up, and the following year a sustained period of winning football games, and winning them in style had people flocking to watch. We have not had anything anywhere close for 2 decades.

You see it at other sides. I used to live in Beverley and on occassions went to watch Hull at Boothferry Park if Latics were playing away from home. Poor football (and had been for years) = poor attendances.

Better faciltites and a winning team changes everything.

If we somehow can put a team together that wins most of its home games, scores goals and gets promotion from this division we will see the crowds back - some new, some old faces amongst them.

But we desperately need a season of relative success soon. In a pretty poor standard division, is it too much to ask to finish in the top 25% and have a bit of luck across 3 games???

Maybe.

But then again there is potential out there.

There is a lapsed generation of Latics fans that did watch during the first Joe Royle era that can and have been tempted back for the odd big game that we have had over the last 20 depressing years, and with them will be a younger generation of children that could be enticed if the circumstances are right.

The interest in the Premiership has its downsides, but the popularity of football is bigger as a result. Again get the right circumstances and this general popularity can be turned into bums on seats.

The ground is one set of circumstances that needs to be right. Once the current development is completed we would have a ground good enough for people to come - so as long as the stand continues (it does seem to have stalled at the moment but could easily hit the timescales of the back end of this season) I don't think we need worry about that.

The second and most important point is success. Success is what always changes attendances. Prior to cup success of the 'pinch me' season I recall some pretty dismal attendances at BP, but a season of big cup games built the league attendances up, and the following year a sustained period of winning football games, and winning them in style had people flocking to watch. We have not had anything anywhere close for 2 decades.

You see it at other sides. I used to live in Beverley and on occassions went to watch Hull at Boothferry Park if Latics were playing away from home. Poor football (and had been for years) = poor attendances.

Better faciltites and a winning team changes everything.

If we somehow can put a team together that wins most of its home games, scores goals and gets promotion from this division we will see the crowds back - some new, some old faces amongst them.

But we desperately need a season of relative success soon. In a pretty poor standard division, is it too much to ask to finish in the top 25% and have a bit of luck across 3 games???

Decent post.

But, there's just too much of Latics whole outlook that's too "if only".

If only we had a better ground, and if only more people would come and watch, and if only we had a better side with better players, we might actually do something.

I hope the new stand brings a few more in. And i hope it means from non-football monies come in. But i can't help but think the stumbling block will always be the sodding football!!!!