The Daily HateMail -vs- The Grauniad

OAFCM35

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear that no matter what changes that could be made it will all be "too little too late" but standing independent from the EU so we can govern our own boarders in a similar fashion to how Australia deal with immigration certainly would be a start

Assuming independence was attained how would you deal with the existing migrant populations (both legal and illegal)?

Assuming independence was attained how would you deal with the existing migrant populations (both legal and illegal)?

Make benefits contribution based (you can't take out if you haven't put in)

If they commit a crime or haven't found work in a year they get deported back to their home country

Illegals sent back no questions asked- asylum seekers are allowed to claim asylum at the first country they arrive at.. So we shouldn't be getting people crossing Europe to claim asylum here because they want a piece of our open door & soft benefits policies

Neither does that.

I'll emphasise a key part of the question: Why are jobs not getting filled by British nationals?

Read through the thread i have been over this

Foreigners are getting a helping hand in to uk jobs, companies offer cash incentives for taking on foreigners over Brits

Read through the thread i have been over this

Foreigners are getting a helping hand in to uk jobs, companies offer cash incentives for taking on foreigners over Brits

There have been other perfectly erudite responses already, no need for me to tread familiar ground.

The

That article was in 2011, there was also an article in the Telegraph (same side of the fence) from 2012 that goes into why immigrants aren't taking British Jobs, how papers like the Express misquote official reports to make it sounds like immigrants are bad. I quite liked the point that it takes 13 migrants to displace 1 British job.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielknowles/100129096/why-immigrants-arent-taking-british-jobs/

'Even Cameron....'???

As for EURES, it does seem to be reciprical in nature i.e. Brits can use it in other countries to.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Let's face it, we are an attractive proposition regarding jobs, The low pay here is still a lot more than in other less well off countries.

I have worked with a few foreign migrants and that they have every right to come over here and find work The EU insisits they be treated like any other job applicants. and why not.I also think that it takes a brave person/s to upsticks leave behind their families and settle into a country that they may well have difficulty with language/ culture and someone to turn to when needed. I think potential employers see them as hungry to work and willing to put the extra hours in at minimum wage or there abouts, Where some brits think 38- hours is enough.

The only down side i see to this is that some of these migrants bring their families children etc and would probably be entitled to working tax credits , I'm not sure that it is all that beneficial to the tax payer on the whole,that goes for british families too, It's a bit of a :censored: when both parents work up to 40 hours a week and yet they still need handouts. there is of course a fair amount of benefit abuse going on too.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Working tax credits just subsidise low wages and are very hard to administer. They would have done better to just raise the income tax starting threshold.

That's still not enough Lee.

Let's face it, we are an attractive proposition regarding jobs, The low pay here is still a lot more than in other less well off countries.

I have worked with a few foreign migrants and that they have every right to come over here and find work The EU insisits they be treated like any other job applicants. and why not.I also think that it takes a brave person/s to upsticks leave behind their families and settle into a country that they may well have difficulty with language/ culture and someone to turn to when needed. I think potential employers see them as hungry to work and willing to put the extra hours in at minimum wage or there abouts, Where some brits think 38- hours is enough.

The only down side i see to this is that some of these migrants bring their families children etc and would probably be entitled to working tax credits , I'm not sure that it is all that beneficial to the tax payer on the whole,that goes for british families too, It's a bit of a :censored: when both parents work up to 40 hours a week and yet they still need handouts. there is of course a fair amount of benefit abuse going on too.

Fair points, the UK worker probably works longer then its continental counterpart...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/dec/08/europe-working-hours#data

To be honest, the Mail wasn't the only :censored:rag to get it wrong this time.

https://fullfact.org/blog/daily_mail_foreign_worker_statistics_immigration-2819?eol=false

Fullfact have repeatedly told the Government that these claims are wrong, and it needs correcting.

We haven’t been shy about pointing out this misunderstanding in the past, and have even asked the Office for National Statistics to include a note of explanation to accompany the figures to guard against this inaccuracy, so we hope that the mistake can be quickly and easily put right.

...and isn't that the same Anthony Browne (politco-banker) who is an advocate for the UK to join the European single currency?

You just keep pulling the same old "I want Britain to be about British" bull:censored: seemingly from up your arse.

You've zig-zagged from one collapsible argument based on poor reporting to the next,I refer you to the answer Z gave earlier.

You just keep pulling the same old "I want Britain to be about British" bull:censored: seemingly from up your arse.

You've zig-zagged from one collapsible argument based on poor reporting to the next,I refer you to the answer Z gave earlier.

No I posted my source and you quibbled over them and then produce your sources that was far from conclusive

There's no zigzagging here just find myself answering similar questions to different people

To be honest, the Mail wasn't the only :censored:rag to get it wrong this time.

https://fullfact.org/blog/daily_mail_foreign_worker_statistics_immigration-2819?eol=false

Fullfact have repeatedly told the Government that these claims are wrong, and it needs correcting.

...and isn't that the same Anthony Browne (politco-banker) who is an advocate for the UK to join the European single currency?

No I posted my source and you quibbled over them and then produce your sources that was far from conclusive

There's no zigzagging here just find myself answering similar questions to different people

Now your just being silly.

Neither does that.

I'll emphasise a key part of the question: Why are jobs not getting filled by British nationals?

In part because harder working, reliable adult Eastern Europeans will work long term for the same money that unreliable, 18/19 year old British kids used to short term before moving on to what they really wanted to do.

You can't blame companies for looking after their own best interests but the social costs will be huge in years to come.

We'd already had a couple of generations of formerly working class people who never worked and now Labour have recruited a load more.

All for a "fairer society".