Lee Johnson Feature In Article

Appearances, international call ups, sell-all clauses are all fair game I think - the the promotion angle does bring the potential for people to question a team's motivation.

Even appearances / goals can create some conflicts - I seem to recall players being dropped and sold to prevent then triggering another payment.

Schmeltz? something was said about his lifestyle choices.

I had a brief chat a while ago with a Dutch journalist who almost wet himself when I told him I was an Oldham fan - apparently Sidney Schmeltz was public enemy number one in Holland after he conducted himself like an absolute ballbag. Got busted slagging off a club who had gone bust and left him a bit short of cash: slagged off the town, the fans, the staff.

Sloped off to England after a payday, was rubbish. Isn't he at Shrewsbury now?

I had a brief chat a while ago with a Dutch journalist who almost wet himself when I told him I was an Oldham fan - apparently Sidney Schmeltz was public enemy number one in Holland after he conducted himself like an absolute ballbag. Got busted slagging off a club who had gone bust and left him a bit short of cash: slagged off the town, the fans, the staff.

Released by bottom of the FL Hartlepool.

#duedilligence

Appearances, international call ups, sell-all clauses are all fair game I think - the the promotion angle does bring the potential for people to question a team's motivation.

Even appearances / goals can create some conflicts - I seem to recall players being dropped and sold to prevent then triggering another payment.

Didn't we get Gregan from Leeds because he'd played 74 games for them and they had a clause to pay after 75?

Didn't we get Gregan from Leeds because he'd played 74 games for them and they had a clause to pay after 75?

Was that it? I thought they more usually counted games per season. Stories like that make me think smaller increments make better sense all round, if it was a payment each 5 games it's still an incentive to get picked but doesn't put the club in a position where one game costs them a fortune and everyone is screwed.

Was that it? I thought they more usually counted games per season. Stories like that make me think smaller increments make better sense all round, if it was a payment each 5 games it's still an incentive to get picked but doesn't put the club in a position where one game costs them a fortune and everyone is screwed.

A nice little butty every month or so too, for a regular starter.

I wouldn't expect anyone attached to football to consider anything so simple anything time soon though.

There are still problems with deals like this though. I read the Secret Footballers book and in that he talks of a lot of players getting frozen out because their clubs don't want to or can't pay an appearance fee. When Seth Johnson was at Leeds, Leeds had to pay Derby £250,000 every time he played 15 games for them so in the end they just stopped playing him. A similar thing happened with us and Lee Hughes goal scoring bonus.

Just gave it a search and found this:

In that time he played only 59 times, his availability limited by injuries, at least until the final months. As part of the deal that brought him to Yorkshire Leeds were to pay a further £250,000 every 15 appearances, up to a maximum of £1.25m. In April 2004, his 53rd game, Johnson sustained a knee ligament injury that was to keep him out for 11 months. When he came back Leeds, by then practically destitute, refused to trigger the next bonus. "He's cost us £230,000 a game," complained Ridsdale's replacement, Ken Bates. "Both himself and Derby must have been laughing their socks off at that deal. What sort of value is that for this club and its fans?"