What is Dean Holden's realistic challenge for the rest of the season?

127 members have voted

1. 1. Where can Dean Holden get Latics to finish this season?

• Top 6
    • Top 10
    • Top half
    • Bottom half but safe
    • Relegated

After a period of 4 games in hiatus, we now have a semi-permenant manager in for the remaining 11 games of the season.

There are plenty of thoughts on the rights and wrongs of that appointment on the other thread, but I thought it would be interesting to guage what people think is achieveable in his currently approved tenure period.

The OS states that the play-offs are still an aim ("I firmly believe we have the capabilities of reaching the play-off places this season," said Holden) but many on here seem more concerned with the other end of the table. So what is a realistic ambition?

We have failed to finish in the top half of the table for 5 years, scoring no more than 56 points. If we continue our seasons average points per game we would just scrape 60 points.

The play-off positions (on the same basis of taking the average points per game of the current 5th and 6th teams) would see an all time low total getting you 6th spot from out time in this division with 68/69 good enough.

Looking at the relegation postions and the same approach, 48 points is likely to be enough to stay up (which is the average over the last 18 years).

Until it's mathematically impossible any manager and player should be striving to finish as high as they can, which at the moment is still top 6.

I'd question whether certain players are but Holden certainly will be. He's got 11 games of football to play and should & will play his strongest side until there's nothing left to play for at which point some of the kids should be thrown in.

To win people over so Corney can give him the job long term.

A different question - but I wonder what Deano has to do in the 11 games to get the majority of the fans wanting him to stay on?

I'd guess finishing Top 10 from where we are now would create a number of people wanting him to have a full season.

I don't think he seriously meant "we can make the play-offs"

He was saying that it was better to have the attitude of not giving up on them rather than a "season over" mediocrity mentality that could seriously land us in trouble.

Ironically he is arguing against the 'no ambition' approach that many are hammering the club for...and then taking exactly the reverse stance in seemingly implying Holden should be saying "play-offs gone, season's over, we're just aiming for the two wins that should see us crawl over the line"...

A different question - but I wonder what Deano has to do in the 11 games to get the majority of the fans wanting him to stay on?

I'd guess finishing Top 10 from where we are now would create a number of people wanting him to have a full season.

No chance. Playoffs, maybe....

He can't really come out at the moment and say he is aiming for anything short of the play-offs but I think we all know that has gone.

Realistically I think a top ten finish would be a great achievement now for Dean. It would mean stopping the slide and then getting some consistent results. I don't for a moment think it would result in him getting the job permanantly.

But we can..............?

It's unlikely, yes, but there's a lot of football to be played and allsorts that can happen. Not just to us but to the teams above us.

Barnsley are an example (sadly) of what a run can achieve...

I'd say PLay Offs, as that would be a great achievment.

Top 10 a good achievement, but harder to justify keeping him on.

Keep us out of the drop zone and beat Dale finish higher than 15th ill be happy. I see this as a really risky move appointing Holden by those in charge. They seem to think we can't go down. Keep playing like we are and gifting teams goals and points and we can

Holden has been dropped right in it. Lacks experience, Players will know he's on his way at end of season so possibly won't be fussed about playing for him.

and we desperately need a home win to boost morale....With all of the first choice back line out..and a top scorer who isn't scoring

Edited by bluehobbit

Keep us out of the drop zone and beat Dale finish higher than 15th ill be happy. I see this as a really risky move appointing Holden by those in charge. They seem to think we can't go down. Keep playing like we are and gifting teams goals and points and we can

Holden has been dropped right in it. Lacks experience, Players will know he's on his way at end of season so possibly won't be fussed about playing for him.

and we desperately need a home win to boost morale....With all of the first choice back line out..and a top scorer who isn't scoring

Ditto

A lot of the players are contracted for next season so see no reason why they should be thinking of Ibiza or Vegas yet.

This idea that form has suddenly fallen off a cliff since Johnson left is flawed.

Half the team falling off a cliff would explain the injury list though!

We're clearly not safe yet. What's safe this year is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't mind it if we scraped it on goal difference. The problem is that we've been up there until very recently and everyone will find it difficult to change mindsets from possible-with-the-grace-of-God to we-need-to-fight-like-dogs.

12th and above is heaven and beats expectations. 13th would be great but meh. Below that would be "at least we survived".

We're 10/1 to get relegated, so if you fancy taking the edge off the bitterness and anger...

We're clearly not safe yet. What's safe this year is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't mind it if we scraped it on goal difference. The problem is that we've been up there until very recently and everyone will find it difficult to change mindsets from possible-with-the-grace-of-God to we-need-to-fight-like-dogs.

12th and above is heaven and beats expectations. 13th would be great but meh. Below that would be "at least we survived".

We're 10/1 to get relegated, so if you fancy taking the edge off the bitterness and anger...

Latics are around 30/1 for relegation with most bookies.

Oldham to win the League One championship, FA Cup, The Grand National and London Marathon.

That's the only way I'd be won over...nothing against Holden but an uninspiring appointment.

Reminds me of Wolves appointing Terry O'Connor when Big Mick got the sack. Big names bandied about, talk of over a hundred credible and exciting candidates before that was all scratched and appointed from within by a coach who didnt think he would be a candidate full time and was just keeping the seat warm. A cheap option as Wolves knew they were doomed...we're not there yet but we've effectively thrown in the towel too...if the board can't be bothered, why should the fans?!