The Golden Era under Joe Royle

He should have done. I think it may have been one of John Keeley's rare appearances. Argh.....

Must have been his first - I remember watching him in his second appearance against Middlesbrough in the Prem. Granada Reports did a feature on him the night before calling him "the unluckiest man in football" - we won the game 4-2 and it's a good job we had the "we'll just score more than you" mentality cos we looked likely to concede every time the ball went near the bloke - made Dean Brill look like De Gea

Go to Droylsden Mr Shankly, they have played that way for the last 10 years, success and failure.

....their recent failures are however more to do with an unpaid tax bill (allegedly) that meant the playing budget was reduced to peanuts (I assume literally) for the best part of 3 years....!

I saw only 3 home defeats in my first 41 home games between 86-91 when palace beat us in Sept '91 with masterclass in counter attacking and finishing I walked out of the ground numb with disbelief I just wasn't used to losing at home - it was the first home defeat if seen in 3 years!!!!

24 wins 14 draws scoring 82 conceding 44

I only saw us fail to score ONCE during that time v Everton in the league cup.

I didn't see a goalless draw until Exeter at home in October 1992 in the cup. It was another year before I saw a goalless draw at home in the league v Arsenal

Edited by oafcprozac

He's excellent but many of his captions are inaccurate

And a good looking bastard may I add :)

I'm guessing from memory and google mate Corrections are welcome and it can only be the years between 89 90 91 overlaps that may make the result wrong?

Edited by palmer1

With Dunn in the middle, Croft on one flank, Poleon or Forte or Yeates on the other and then two from the five or six strikers we have up front then we should be scoring goals and winning games.

I've forgot to add Jones in the middle too, Kelly also..oh and Green behind the front two....

Just work through that squad list and it makes you laugh that some are questioning the strength of the squad and then why we have just the 7 points in the season so far.

If the current management can't get that lot together I'm a cohesive attacking eleven that should be winning games then we seriously need to look at what influence they have on the team. Ironically the likes of Dowie or Shez would have them creating and converting those chances. I'm not against Kelly but I'm really frustrated that the team hasn't won more games in the league.

If only DK had the balls to take off the shackles.......it would bring in more people for sure and at least create a bit more interest than the dross we are generally used to