Please use this Barry Owen list thread, saves every thread highjacking

This is one of the problems people have with Barry. It isn't that he's to blame for everything (hi Simon!) but he's too connected to too many disasters to be a credible figure. He really is at the point where, even if he does a good thing (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head) people can never see it that way. When anything truly outrageous happens at the club, such as bringing in a manager you know you're going to sack when a soon-to-be-ex-player shows you a bit of cash, people naturally wonder about Barry's role.

We won't think any less of you for giving it up. Promise. And I know how deeply you care about what people think.

It's not just the fans who have no time for him. I was in the main stand paddock when he did the ice bucket challenge thing and a club employee stood at the bottom of the tunnel steps turned to us and said "should have :censored:ing drowned the tosser" did make me chuckle

We don't need evidence, as long as we think something's true it is.

That's not strictly true. We can only speculate and hypothesise. Good luck to you if you think you're looking at a traditional arrangement of someone offering someone a job because of their PowerPoint skills or football nous or winning personal style.

For me, the observations (every manager since Penney, and the manners of their departures) are very strong inidcations that Corney decided after the Penney fiasco that he was going to take a different tack on managerial recruitment. This tack may involve not paying managers, and possibly even inviting them to pay to manage.

One test of this hypothesis was the latest recruitment round. I suggested back then that, if my hypothesis is true, the successful candidate will be an ex-player or someone coming to the end of their career whose got the self-confidence to back themselves financially. If successful in the job, that manager is free to bugger off at the earliest opportunity to more lucrative work. Behold Darren Kelly! Behold David Dunn!

The incentives are clear. The manager backs himself to be successful and thus secure one of only 91 other such jobs in the country. The chairman doesn't rate the activity of managing or doesn't understand it, and therefore would prefer if the person in that position (it could be anybody!) has skin in the game.

It hasn't worked that well, but it's not been a disaster either: we've stayed up and stayed away from those perilous promotion places. I like Dunn a lot as a player and I think he's got great potential as a manager. I hope it works out for him...but as soon as it does he'll be off. Mark my words.

It might be a bit Kremlinologist but in the absence of anyone asking for and getting an honest answer from Corney (or Dickov or Johnson or Kelly or Dunn), we won't know for certain. But please don't ignore the testament of your own senses.

True, and to be fair I have no evidence for thinking that it is utter bollocks

We don't need evidence, as long as we think something's true it is.

Is there any evidence for this?

I'd absolutely love to hear your rationales of Corney's recruitment strategy and tactics almost as much as I'd like to know his.

That's not strictly true. We can only speculate and hypothesise. Good luck to you if you think you're looking at a traditional arrangement of someone offering someone a job because of their PowerPoint skills or football nous or winning personal style.

For me, the observations (every manager since Penney, and the manners of their departures) are very strong inidcations that Corney decided after the Penney fiasco that he was going to take a different tack on managerial recruitment. This tack may involve not paying managers, and possibly even inviting them to pay to manage.

One test of this hypothesis was the latest recruitment round. I suggested back then that, if my hypothesis is true, the successful candidate will be an ex-player or someone coming to the end of their career whose got the self-confidence to back themselves financially. If successful in the job, that manager is free to bugger off at the earliest opportunity to more lucrative work. Behold Darren Kelly! Behold David Dunn!

The incentives are clear. The manager backs himself to be successful and thus secure one of only 91 other such jobs in the country. The chairman doesn't rate the activity of managing or doesn't understand it, and therefore would prefer if the person in that position (it could be anybody!) has skin in the game.

It hasn't worked that well, but it's not been a disaster either: we've stayed up and stayed away from those perilous promotion places. I like Dunn a lot as a player and I think he's got great potential as a manager. I hope it works out for him...but as soon as it does he'll be off. Mark my words.

It might be a bit Kremlinologist but in the absence of anyone asking for and getting an honest answer from Corney (or Dickov or Johnson or Kelly or Dunn), we won't know for certain. But please don't ignore the testament of your own senses.

I know you've said this for a while and to be honest I haven't wanted to believe it, but after the last two appointments I can see it being a realistic possibility.

In a purely business sense I can see why Corney would do it. Demand for Football League jobs far outweighs supply, so he's likely to regularly get people willing to pay. However the more his process becomes common knowledge the more likely he is to get chancers that have next to no managerial ability who will take us down just because they can afford it. Corney obviously thinks it's worth the gamble but it doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I know you've said this for a while and to be honest I haven't wanted to believe it, but after the last two appointments I can see it being a realistic possibility.

In a purely business sense I can see why Corney would do it. Demand for Football League jobs far outweighs supply, so he's likely to regularly get people willing to pay. However the more his process becomes common knowledge the more likely he is to get chancers that have next to no managerial ability who will take us down just because they can afford it. Corney obviously thinks it's worth the gamble but it doesn't sit well with me.

Behold Darren Kelly.

Well my take on Barry is this:

He is a truly divisive figure at the club, and one who should never be allowed anywhere near a microphone, newspaper journalist or indeed supporter.

I'm sure he must bring something to the table, as I can't see any other reason that Mr. Corney would want to keep him around, I'm sure it's not as a result of any significant financial input. IF Mr. Owen does things behind the scenes that are beneficial to the club then great, I'm glad we have him on board.

But for the love of God, it's a total brain fart every time he opens his mouth, just stop him being the mouthpiece of the board, surely we have a board member who'd be better at speaking to the masses!

Is that the Darren Kelly with a successful top level career behind him who has millions stashed away from being paid silly money throughout?

Like the Mighty Boosh says, when word gets out, everyone and no one will want a piece of it. My impression is that the "greatest managerial recruitment campaign of all time" was anything but, with serious people declining the club's kind if unorthodox offer, leaving Corney with...Daz. Dunn might get the gig on the cheap because of the club's obvious desperation (we're very lucky to have him too).