Passing without penetration

Having seen only my 4th game this season which for me must be a 24 year low for me by the end of October. What I saw yesterday and the trend I have seen so far which is a continuing trend from last season appears to be our slow passing.

That might seem like it's a statement of the bleeding obvious however rather than suggesting that we need to "gerrit forward" or that the solution is 2 uptop The passing needs to to speed up, our players need to think quicker and be prepared to release the ball quicker. Rather than miander the ball across the back 4 or midfield we need to get the ball wide quickly so the wide players get it in space. Not only that but when we get the ball wide in crossing positions our wingers or full backs are always taking a touch which allows the defenders to get set to clear the cross. I'd like to see more first time or early crosses. Poleon or whoever plays uptop needs to anticipate the ball coming to them. Two crosses came into him yesterday 1 in the first half 1 in the second half where he didn't anticipate fully the ball coming to him he's got to be an optimist and be ready for when it drops to him in the box. If he did that yesterday he could have turned 0 points into 3.

Is also like to see Fulton or jones or whoever is playing next to Kelly take more risks and get into the box. We came closest to scoring yesterday when Fulton made that run into the box in the first half got on the end of a cross I'd like to see him make more of those late runs into the box.

Speed is what we need, we need speed!

But more in thought process rather than running speed it's not something "the special players" alone are capable of, players at this level can do it just look at Burtons goal yesterday. Do that and we will create more chances and score more goals.

Edited by GlossopLatic

For the first 12 minutes yesterday, Latics had all the possession, and the only times Burton had the ball they hoofed it downfield. Eventually Latics started, and then continued for the rest of the game, giving the ball to yellow shirts, and Burton showed how to go forward using few passes, instead of meandering crab-like and giving defenders time to get in position.

For the first 12 minutes yesterday, Latics had all the possession, and the only times Burton had the ball they hoofed it downfield. Eventually Latics started, and then continued for the rest of the game, giving the ball to yellow shirts, and Burton showed how to go forward using few passes, instead of meandering crab-like and giving defenders time to get in position.

Indeed Hasselbank has them very well organised both going forwards and defensively they work very hard to track back, and move the ball forward quickly and incisively. He plays a 4-2-3-1 and makes it work with not necessarily a massively talented group of individuals. They may struggle to keep hold of him.

Indeed Hasselbank has them very well organised both going forwards and defensively they work very hard to track back, and move the ball forward quickly and incisively. He plays a 4-2-3-1 and makes it work with not necessarily a massively talented group of individuals. They may struggle to keep hold of him.

He appears to be a man of great loyalty, but time will tell.

Having seen only my 4th game this season which for me must be a 24 year low for me by the end of October. What I saw yesterday and the trend I have seen so far which is a continuing trend from last season appears to be our slow passing.

That might seem like it's a statement of the bleeding obvious however rather than suggesting that we need to "gerrit forward" or that the solution is 2 uptop The passing needs to to speed up, our players need to think quicker and be prepared to release the ball quicker. Rather than miander the ball across the back 4 or midfield we need to get the ball wide quickly so the wide players get it in space. Not only that but when we get the ball wide in crossing positions our wingers or full backs are always taking a touch which allows the defenders to get set to clear the cross. I'd like to see more first time or early crosses. Poleon or whoever plays uptop needs to anticipate the ball coming to them. Two crosses came into him yesterday 1 in the first half 1 in the second half where he didn't anticipate fully the ball coming to him he's got to be an optimist and be ready for when it drops to him in the box. If he did that yesterday he could have turned 0 points into 3.

Is also like to see Fulton or jones or whoever is playing next to Kelly take more risks and get into the box. We came closest to scoring yesterday when Fulton made that run into the box in the first half got on the end of a cross I'd like to see him make more of those late runs into the box.

Speed is what we need, we need speed!

But more in thought process rather than running speed it's not something "the special players" alone are capable of, players at this level can do it just look at Burtons goal yesterday. Do that and we will create more chances and score more goals.

Yes I agree entirely- not all this get a new manager nonsense which seems obligatory for some after any loss. That was my 3rd game so i am one behind you.

My observations from yesterday were that I thought Brian Wilson looks very accomplished in the middle and I like the look of Dummigan, although it looks he was caught out with their goal. I was also amazed at the amount of negative comments made about Yeates .

For me Yeates is the one player who nearly always takes responsibility and produces an end product- too many of ours always hand over to someone else. That was my impression yesterday and the extended highlights seem to confirm that.

I also thought the introduction of Fuller should have been made at half time or much sooner- specially when Dunn mentions we could have played another hour without scoring!

Dunn needs time and I hope that he can learn and heed and change things when needed.

At least he did remain positive in the after match interview.

We will move on.