21st Anniversary

That should be 24 th anniversary -!!

Of when Eric Cantona played his first match in England

Dirty Leeds came to BP and were handed a deserved 2-0 spanking by Latics

Good game , loads of press photographers, and another in the many defeats of Leeds we handed out in the 80s and 90s

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/24-years-ago-today-eric-cantona-makes-leeds-united-debut-1-7721233

Edited by LaticsPete

A plethora of press and photographers surrounded the dug out before the game, camped behind our goal waiting for the shot of Eric scoring.....

"Cameras what's the score? Cameras cameras what's the score?" Sang the Chaddy to the amusement of some of the massed ranks of journalists.

I think it was later joined with a suggestion of where they might want to put the cameras.

Edited by Scapegoat

That was one of Latics' best ever home performances - I watched it from the Ford Stand paddock. We were dominant from start to finish and yes the Leeds fans behaved according to type. Just seen the goals on You Tube and Andy Barlow scored!

One of my top 10 favourite Latics matches without a doubt. Even now the memories come flooding back:

1) Absolutely packed Rochdale Road End - par for the course when one of the 'big boys' came to town;

2) The camera going absolutely nuts for Cantona, but Jobbo and the defence barely giving him a kick apart from his first touch when he had a brilliant run;

3) Latics playing brilliantly. I mean brilliantly.

God that was a good day....

Edited by perfectOzblue

I didn't realise he only scored 9 goals for them.... 2 of which were at BP the following season.... With 2 from Ian Olney in reply, the 2nd of which was sublime.

Two Leeds fans, who had traveled with us from Burton, were convinced that Olney's two late goals proved what they already believed, namely that a curse was put on Leeds when they went through at BP to the Play-off final on the away goals rule, which was dropped after that season.

One of my top 10 favourite Latics matches without a doubt. Even now the memories come flooding back:

1) Absolutely packed Rochdale Road End - par for the course when one of the 'big boys' came to town;

2) The camera going absolutely nuts for Cantona, but Jobbo and the defence barely giving him a kick apart from his first touch when he had a brilliant run;

Video of 2nd half:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cbf74_oldham-athletic-v-leeds-united-91-92-2nd-half_sport

The

I didn't realise he only scored 9 goals for them.... 2 of which were at BP the following season.... With 2 from Ian Olney in reply, the 2nd of which was sublime.

The latest of late late shows.

0-2 down going into stoppage time (before you know how much there was going to be) and Leeds doing some of the first I can remember holding the ball in the corner. Seemed the referee didn't like the tactic and added time on accordingly and gave enough time for Ian to score two late goals and the "Leeds animals" destroyed a large section of the seats in the Earl Barrett stand

saw a pic of cantonas first touch of the ball with Marshy and Jobbo in very close attendance and about to give him a welcome to english football that he wouldnt forget

The

The latest of late late shows.

0-2 down going into stoppage time (before you know how much there was going to be) and Leeds doing some of the first I can remember holding the ball in the corner. Seemed the referee didn't like the tactic and added time on accordingly and gave enough time for Ian to score two late goals and the "Leeds animals" destroyed a large section of the seats in the Earl Barrett stand

Found it.... it was Olney's first that was the belter.....

Marshy had him in his pocket. He was a very good centre forward, but i agreed with Joe. I thought he could've been a superb centre half.

I agree. I think Marshall was a class centre half who could have gone on to have international recognition. Pity he fancied himself as a striker (like Warhurst) but hey, Latics legend and definitely one of my favourite ever players just below your Ritchies and Palmers.