Top six finishes

Ok so am bored with preseason and clearly this shows just how much but here goes.

In the 19 seasons we have been in league one there have been a total of 496 top six places up for grabs across the football league (ie number of divisions x 6 x 19). Say there has been 105 different clubs in the football league during that time then that means on average teams have finished top 6 on 4.72 occasions.

The average amongst clubs which have been in the football league for the full period (such as latics) will clearly be higher.

We have been in the top six on 2 occasions during that period. I reckon only Coventry and possibly villa will beat that.

Not highlighting anything new just a different perspective on something we already know.

Back to work

Ok so am bored with preseason and clearly this shows just how much but here goes.

In the 19 seasons we have been in league one there have been a total of 496 top six places up for grabs across the football league (ie number of divisions x 6 x 19). Say there has been 105 different clubs in the football league during that time then that means on average teams have finished top 6 on 4.72 occasions.

The average amongst clubs which have been in the football league for the full period (such as latics) will clearly be higher.

We have been in the top six on 2 occasions during that period. I reckon only Coventry and possibly villa will beat that.

Not highlighting anything new just a different perspective on something we already know.

Back to work

That's not how averages work, sorry.

Back to work

So if we had been relegated three times in that time and got promoted back to L1 each time we would have been more successful than maintaining L1 status throughout?

Nowhere in my post do I indicate that. I am merely stating facts.

The point you raise is a different one entirely. Getting relegated three times and then promoted three times is no more or less 'successful' than staying in the same division throughout that period. You start at the same point and finish at the same point.

As a football fan would I prefer us to get relegated three times and then promoted three times or stay in the same division throughout that period? Without a shadow of a doubt I would prefer the former. We would be no more successful but it would be far more enjoyable I can assure you. Problem is, getting relegated doesn't mean you get promoted so its not a choice one gets to make.

Nowhere in my post do I indicate that. I am merely stating facts.

The point you raise is a different one entirely. Getting relegated three times and then promoted three times is no more or less 'successful' than staying in the same division throughout that period. You start at the same point and finish at the same point.

As a football fan would I prefer us to get relegated three times and then promoted three times or stay in the same division throughout that period? Without a shadow of a doubt I would prefer the former. We would be no more successful but it would be far more enjoyable I can assure you. Problem is, getting relegated doesn't mean you get promoted so its not a choice one gets to make.

giphy.gif

Indeed it is but then this is a message board and exists for the purposes of dumping useful and unnecessary facts, observations and opinions on other people which you won't dream of passing on in real life and conducting ones self in a manner which is socially unacceptable