Latics v Watford - December, 1973

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the crowd for the Liverpool match with 42000. There was no segregation and the ground was mostly standing. The Rochdale Road End was higher in those days and completely open. The top half was just an earth mound coated in coal ash. It was before the building of the Ford Stand so except for about 50 seats that was all standing. The rear of the Chaddy was wooden boards.

it was 79 snowed off at stoke whilst 2-0 down won replay 1-0

I remember that replay and I think the highlights were on TV. The goal we scored was proper lucky - it got stuck in the mud and trickled over the line - was it Ian Wood who scored?

Stoke keeper could not believe what happened :laught30:

I remember that replay and I think the highlights were on TV. The goal we scored was proper lucky - it got stuck in the mud and trickled over the line - was it Ian Wood who scored?

Yes it was Ian Wood who scored in the replay, Tuesday evening game.

I went to the original Saturday game that was called off with us 2-0 down, but couldn't make the replay as it was a school night.

Yes it was Ian Wood who scored in the replay, Tuesday evening game.

I went to the original Saturday game that was called off with us 2-0 down, but couldn't make the replay as it was a school night.

I was at both. One of the great injustices. Stoke absolutely battered us in both games.

It's funny, I always remember it as a twenty five yard screamer.