Tony Carss v Richie Wellens

oafcprozac

Carss v Wellens  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer in Midfield?

• Tony Carss
    • Richie Wellens

Guest sheridans_world

Tony Carrs was never more than a winger at Latics.

Wellens has run that midfield for two seasons, if Wellens has a bad game, Oldham have a bad games, its been said many times, that shows how much he ran the team.

Tony Carrs was never more than a winger at Latics.

Wellens has run that midfield for two seasons, if Wellens has a bad game, Oldham have a bad games, its been said many times, that shows how much he ran the team.

Carrs was never more than a winger. Erm, he never played there we had Eyres on the left wing in all the time he was here!

Your right that when Wellens had a bad game Oldham performed poorly, probably a good thing that he's gone as we became too reliant on him. We also won't see anymore of the rubbish short corners with Liddell, and the daft quick free kicks that hardly ever came off (apart from against Wolves!)

My mate coaches with Tony Carrs, he sometimes joins in with the game at the end, his knee has completely gone now, hes knackerd after 5 minutes.

Your right that when Wellens had a bad game Oldham performed poorly, probably a good thing that he's gone as we became too reliant on him.

Absolutely agree with that. We need a good team, not a bunch of excellent individuals.

Absolutely agree with that. We need a good team, not a bunch of excellent individuals.

Totally agree Mads, perhaps we can have a team without any real stars, that just work their backsides off for the good of the collective. Looks like we'll have much more pace next year and Blackpool proved just how devastating a sprinkling of pace can be in a team that when looked at on paper wouldn't rip up any trees. Yeovil's performance at Forest was a prime example too.

I would have to go for Carss

he player his heart out for us in every game

that he pulled the Oldham shirt on!!!

Wellens is a good player as well but if he does

not want to play or if he did not get a pass when he

asked for it he would then not be intrested for the

rest of the game!!

I would have to go for Carss

he player his heart out for us in every game

that he pulled the Oldham shirt on!!!

Wellens is a good player as well but if he does

not want to play or if he did not get a pass when he

asked for it he would then not be intrested for the

rest of the game!!

I could never see this 'Wellens wasn't interested lark' I think people expected him to be on the ball all the time and box to box, but he wasn't a box to box player. In some of those last few games, when we suffered a bit of an 'indifferent' spell, Wellens was one of the few who never stopped trying to get a foot in and get the side going again IMHO.

I just feel fans' expectations at times were high of Wellens. If he was so much better a player than the one that the fans saw week in week out, then he certainly wouldn't have played at this level for the majority of his career.

Wellens inspired me a lot more than Carss ever did on the pitch, though personality wise it would go to Carss each and every time.

But purely on a football basis - this belongs to Wellens.

Some of the things he did (when they worked!) were magical, some of the best I've seen in my reasonably lengthy time as a ST holder at 'Tics.

I'll miss his footballing skill and ability, but not how reliant we became upon him.

Saying that, I can't really remember Carss as a player, what was it 5/6 years ago?

Christ, I feel old at 18. :)

Keep the Faith

Wellens inspired me a lot more than Carss ever did on the pitch, though personality wise it would go to Carss each and every time.

But purely on a football basis - this belongs to Wellens.

Some of the things he did (when they worked!) were magical, some of the best I've seen in my reasonably lengthy time as a ST holder at 'Tics.

I'll miss his footballing skill and ability, but not how reliant we became upon him.

Saying that, I can't really remember Carss as a player, what was it 5/6 years ago?

Christ, I feel old at 18. :)

Keep the Faith

Carssy signed on the same day as David Eyres back in October 2000. Admittedly his technical ability wasn't as good as Wellens but Carss was a true box to box player, great in the tackle and a good passer of the ball. He also had a vicious shot on him. Remember his winner v Bristol Rovers on Easter Monday 2001? A screamer of a half-volley at the Chaddy End, and his equaliser at the Galpharm on the final day of 02/03 - that proved to be his last league appearance for the club (apart from v Play Offs) as despite holding on throughout the summer of hell he finally moved to Huddersfield on the same day Dux moved to Bury. If he's have waited another 3 days or so he may have been given a contract as the Jarvis/Joy transfer came into force. IMO Cartssy was just as pivotal as David Eyres in turning round a certain relegation season in 2000/01 as Andy Ritchie looked to have run out of options and ideas but yet again he pulled two rabbits out of the hat and we went on and had a decent miod-table season and at one point from Dec-Feb we threatened to break into the top 6 with Wins over Oxford, Wigan, Luton, Brentford and Wrexham. Draws v Bury, Brentford, Walsall, Peterborough, Port Vale and Colchester with the only defeats coming at Notts County and Wigan.

Edited by oafcprozac

Carssy signed on the same day as David Eyres back in October 2000. Admittedly his technical ability wasn't as good as Wellens but Carss was a true box to box player, great in the tackle and a good passer of the ball. He also had a vicious shot on him. Remember his winner v Bristol Rovers on Easter Monday 2001? A screamer of a half-volley at the Chaddy End, and his equaliser at the Galpharm on the final day of 02/03 - that proved to be his last league appearance for the club (apart from v Play Offs) as despite holding on throughout the summer of hell he finally moved to Huddersfield on the same day Dux moved to Bury. If he's have waited another 3 days or so he may have been given a contract as the Jarvis/Joy transfer came into force. IMO Cartssy was just as pivotal as David Eyres in turning round a certain relegation season in 2000/01 as Andy Ritchie looked to have run out of options and ideas but yet again he pulled two rabbits out of the hat and we went on and had a decent miod-table season and at one point from Dec-Feb we threatened to break into the top 6 with Wins over Oxford, Wigan, Luton, Brentford and Wrexham. Draws v Bury, Brentford, Walsall, Peterborough, Port Vale and Colchester with the only defeats coming at Notts County and Wigan.

i'd go for carrs,you just knew what you were getting from him from the first whistle to the last.