League Table for years without success

19 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

...our consistency over the last 8 years or so in terms of league position is extraordinary !!!

....ly depressing.

Just thought I'd finish the sentence.

The attendance link is interesting.  Sub-5000 on a couple of occasions in the second tier and almost totally below 8000.  Not sure what people think we would get with a season of promotion from this league, and then in the next league up.

I'd guess 6000 in a promotion year, and maybe 7,500-8,500 the next season at best.

36 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

....ly depressing.

Just thought I'd finish the sentence.

The attendance link is interesting.  Sub-5000 on a couple of occasions in the second tier and almost totally below 8000.  Not sure what people think we would get with a season of promotion from this league, and then in the next league up.

I'd guess 6000 in a promotion year, and maybe 7,500-8,500 the next season at best.

Important to remember that we were relegated to the second division after an extremely successful period in the clubs history.

With away fans and that bounce all clubs get from promotion, it's difficult to imagine crowds of sub 10k in the league above.

Edited by dec666

13 minutes ago, dec666 said:

Important to remember that we were relegated to the second division after an extremely successful period in the clubs history.

With away fans and that bounce all clubs get from promotion, it's difficult to imagine crowds of sub 10k in the league above.

That seems ambitious to me. Say 8 or 9 Championship sides filled the JFS so the average away crowd was around the 2500 mark, that'd mean 7500 home fans alone. I think, even with a bit of success, that we'd struggle to be able to double our current crowd on a consistent basis.

The only way I reckon we'd manage to generate that would be if we had a couple of seasons where we challenged at the business end of this division, and then eventually got promoted.

Average crowd inc. away fans would be around 9k mark.

Edited by NewBlue

14 minutes ago, dec666 said:

We didn't get anywherre near that for a decade in the championship, even when we made the first play offs.

7,500 would be just about achievable.
Here are our historic averages

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/olda.htm

Edited by singe

10 minutes ago, dec666 said:

We'll settle for somewhere between 9 and 10 as an average then. But we'd see plenty of crowds over 10k in that league throughout a season, I reckon.

First season after promotion. Mid-October, Leeds at home, £20 a ticket, we're mid-table. How many home fans do we have in attendance, assuming they sell out whichever away end we decide to allocate that week?

Less than 7000 in a season where we finished 3rd in the Second Teir; less than 10,000 in the pinch me season.

In fact, not averaged 5 figures outside the top flight since the mid seventies!  And that followed a period of 2 quick promotions and then they reduced to half her over the next decade when competing in a new higher division.

IMO a successful season in this division - top 6 finish - would see us getting on average 5800.  If that ultimately resulted in promotion, then I'd expect 7,500 to following season.

7 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Less than 7000 in a season where we finished 3rd in the Second Teir; less than 10,000 in the pinch me season.

In fact, not averaged 5 figures outside the top flight since the mid seventies!  And that followed a period of 2 quick promotions and then they reduced to half her over the next decade when competing in a new higher division.

IMO a successful season in this division - top 6 finish - would see us getting on average 5800.  If that ultimately resulted in promotion, then I'd expect 7,500 to following season.

We averaged just shy of 7k last time we made the play offs in this league.

2 minutes ago, dec666 said:

We averaged just shy of 7k last time we made the play offs in this league.

6300, and that was about a 10-15% bump on previous season.

We are well down on the attendances we had prior to that successful-ish season (and we'd had a couple of seasons of being almost competitive around that time as well).

7 seasons of struggle has damaged attendances - all below the 5,000 mark.   5,800 would be a 30% increase on current, maybe I am being optimistic with that.

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

Including or excluding away fans?

8 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I honestly think that in that case 7500 in the Championship would mean we were getting smaller home gates than in League 1

Yes, considering away fans would average about 2000.. I think it would be upwards of the 8000 mark 

No success?  Avoiding the drop last year was a bloody miracle. Avoiding the drop this year (given our position at New Year, and competing against the teams at the top for our last 11 eleven games) would be even better!  My glass isn't half full - it's over-flowing!