Macclesfield Town – 18 years
6. Ipswich Town – 16 years
7. Bolton Wanderers – 15 years
Fulham – 15 years
8. Blackburn Rovers – 14 years
9. Plymouth Argyle – 12 years
10. Accrington Stanley – 10 years

Afternoon Latics, 

just thought I'd pop over and say hello, from the depths of the non-leagues.

Anyway, saw this table the other day which indicates the number of years without success in the top 5 tiers of English football. So now Coventry have won the Checkatrade, it falls to TRFC and your good selves to head the success-starved league. Obviously we still have aspirations this season, although Lincoln are in the driving seat, and if it turns out to be the playoffs, no doubt we will feck that up. As for yourselves, I guess you will survive in League 1, but ffs, both our clubs have a whole generation of fans who can not remember a promotion or a trophy, and in our case, much much worse. Mad innit?

Haha, yeah, we won't the National Masters in 2010 (i.e. Seniors 5 a side), although I must say, it was a pleasure to beat Bolton in the final, so clearly that and the Manx Cup you won have been shockingly ignored! ?

15 minutes ago, 24424 said:

Haha, yeah, we won't the National Masters in 2010 (i.e. Seniors 5 a side), although I must say, it was a pleasure to beat Bolton in the final, so clearly that and the Manx Cup you won have been shockingly ignored! ?

1 hour ago, 24424 said:
Longest Wait for Success, Top 5 Divisions of England

1. Coventry City – 29 years
2. Oldham Athletic – 25 years
Tranmere Rovers – 25 years
3. Everton – 21 years
4. Aston Villa – 20 years
5. Forest Green Rovers – 18 years
Lincoln City – 18 years
Macclesfield Town – 18 years
6. Ipswich Town – 16 years
7. Bolton Wanderers – 15 years
Fulham – 15 years
8. Blackburn Rovers – 14 years
9. Plymouth Argyle – 12 years
10. Accrington Stanley – 10 years

Afternoon Latics, 

just thought I'd pop over and say hello, from the depths of the non-leagues.

Anyway, saw this table the other day which indicates the number of years without success in the top 5 tiers of English football. So now Coventry have won the Checkatrade, it falls to TRFC and your good selves to head the success-starved league. Obviously we still have aspirations this season, although Lincoln are in the driving seat, and if it turns out to be the playoffs, no doubt we will feck that up. As for yourselves, I guess you will survive in League 1, but ffs, both our clubs have a whole generation of fans who can not remember a promotion or a trophy, and in our case, much much worse. Mad innit?

Yeh, sure is but our crowds have dropped alarmingly over the last few years whereas yours have held up remarkably well.

Could be that our fans are bored shitless with the same division and seemingly never ending relegation battles year after year!

Good luck with the promotion bid...might even be playing you again next season....it's a fixture that I definitely miss!!

18 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Yeh, sure is but our crowds have dropped alarmingly over the last few years whereas yours have held up remarkably well.

Could be that our fans are bored shitless with the same division and seemingly never ending relegation battles year after year!

Good luck with the promotion bid...might even be playing you again next season....it's a fixture that I definitely miss!!

Taken straight from the Ernieflag report on this from a couple of years ago so it doesn't show the impact from Tranmere's relegation out of the league or our continued shrinking fanbase, but the fall in crowds isn't significantly worse for us than Tranmere.

Oldham.png.9b891a38fd905aa4b30f65cda47feda4.pngTranmere.png.7a48be33482080c76ba069b5c27f6507.png

Ernieflag - Yearing for Success

Edited by Latics and England

As mentioned in the 20 years thread, Villa won the Intertoto in 2001. Whilst it mightn't be the greatest competition, its prize of a place in Europe surely means it would class as success. Likewise, Everton qualified for Europe as recently as 2 seasons ago.

I was surprised about Forest Green. I didn't think of them as being so established in the Conference

19 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Taken straight from the Ernieflag report on this from a couple of years ago so it doesn't show the impact from Tranmere's relegation out of the league or our continued shrinking fanbase, but the fall in crowds isn't significantly worse for us than Tranmere.

Oldham.png.9b891a38fd905aa4b30f65cda47feda4.pngTranmere.png.7a48be33482080c76ba069b5c27f6507.png

Ernieflag - Yearing for Success

It would be interesting to see both graphs updated and on the same scale.

9 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

As mentioned in the 20 years thread, Villa won the Intertoto in 2001. Whilst it mightn't be the greatest competition, its prize of a place in Europe surely means it would class as success. Likewise, Everton qualified for Europe as recently as 2 seasons ago.

I was surprised about Forest Green. I didn't think of them as being so established in the Conference

No me either, re FGR, very surpised by that.

Interesting attendance stats!

i think like yourselves, some years of stagnation in the third tier took its toll, but then for us, the two consecutive relegations could have seen our attendance really fall away. However, the first season in non-league was something of a novelty, and I was surprised we remained around 5K, even though we missed the playoffs. This season we have been more competitive, but attendances have fallen, so the worry is that if we don't go up, we could end up as a run of the mill conference side like Wrexham, and interest will wane. 

To be honest, not entirely sure how your crowds have been as don't laugh, but looking at the football league is quite painful from down here so I tend to put it out of mind mostly.

On 05/04/2017 at 0:35 PM, singe said:

It would be interesting to see both graphs updated and on the same scale.

Also - we had a few seasons in the top flight which will skew the peak before the trough.

If extended back to the early 80s it would be interesting.  Seem to recall some pretty poor crowds when I first started going.