Michael Ricketts

Just hope he puts in the effort & doesn't pile on the weight again. If not we could be stuck with an expensive liability for 3 years. If he keeps the weight off he could be an excellent signing as we certainly need a big target man in this league.

Put him & Gregan in a wall and won't need anyone else !

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldhamathletic.co.uk can confirm that Ricketts has been allocated squad number 7. Is he Wellens' replacement? :grin:

If he's in midfield I'll burning my ST in the centre circle. His England debut revealed a player with severely limited ability to trap a pallet of cement. 20+ goals from him though I reckon. Thinking about it in fact, if both him and Hughes get firing on all cylinders we could have our most lethal strike partnership since, erm, ever?

Just think though.... what would you have said at the end of last season... if someone would have said that next season you up front you will have:

2 ex-premiership strikers, both under the age of 32, both of whom have scored 15 goals+ in the Top Flight, Plus a Welsh international who was playing in the Championship last season....

Looks good on paper... mind you, paper can eat pies, have ego's or go to jail...

Oh well... every cloud!

Does look a powerful forward line now IMO....

Hughs and Ricketts playing together would give Latics a front-two who had been involved in transfers totalling £11,750,000 when was the last time that happened! Somehow don't think they've come here for the money! Perhaps boh want to prove a point!

Hughs and Ricketts playing together would give Latics a front-two who had been involved in transfers totalling £11,750,000 when was the last time that happened! Somehow don't think they've come here for the money! Perhaps boh want to prove a point!

Do you ever think that players who already have loads of money get together and think 'let's get a team promoted for a laugh?'. No? Just me then!

Do you ever think that players who already have loads of money get together and think 'let's get a team promoted for a laugh?'. No? Just me then!

Yeah, unfortunately it was Wigan. :angry:

but they also paid them lots of money, the pie eating morons....

I think is a great signing the first proper target man we have had for a long while. All the others have either been lightweight or fall over.

Hope we give the guy a chance he could be awesome at this level, He is big, strong,quick,good in the air and can head a ball.And is skillfull for a big man, the ball should stick to him like glue at this level. Especially away from BP when we have come under preessure because of our forwards have given the ball away to easily.

He may not score as many as Porter but will scare the c**p out of defences. Good signing in my opinion, he probably realises this his is last chance and should be chomping at the bit this could be scary for the rest of league 1. If the Hughes deal works out this could be the best forward line we have had in years.Not forgetting Davies and hopefully the emergence of Wolfboy.

With the exception of Allott which I think will turn out to be a good signing most of the other confirmed signings have had International experience.

Is this it now personally I still think we need another defender and a midfielder,another winger would be nice but maybe that will be filled by loanees.

Robert

ive always hoped Scholes may have thought it be fun to drop down and get us promoted!!:)

Guest sheridans_world
Yeah, unfortunately it was Wigan. :angry:

but they also paid them lots of money, the pie eating morons....

Haha! :lol:

Good signing for me, looking forward to next season more than ever now. Think we are still lacking 2 players, a LB and a midfielder, would like to know what Shez's plans with Allott, Kalala, Macdonald and Liddell. I believe Taylor will always have the spot on the left, well for the short-term anyway. Its been mentioned about different formations, depending on tactics etc.

Way i understand it, we play 4-4-2 and we need a midfielder and a left back.

We play 3-5-2 and we need one midfielder. I.e. Lidds, Macca, Kalala, Allott, Taylor. Thus having three players available for cover (AN Other, Wood and Pearson) While Wood isnt up to a 4-4-2 midfield he could work in a five-man midfield, Pearson has to get experienced then i think he will be a great prospect.

if we get him fit and interested he'll be great for us, he's big strong and mobile

was a little underwhelmed when the signing was announced, but i'm warming to it, i certainly think he gives us a different option to the rest, and at the very very worst, he'll give us slightly better options up there than chris hall did. he only needed one chance to score against us for leeds even when he was out of form, so hope it goes well for him

my worry is that from watching at bolton (family are bolton fans), even when he's on form he'll give the impression of not being interested, he's got the body language that will attract the boo-boys, and lets be honest we've got plenty of those

if we get him fit and interested he'll be great for us, he's big strong and mobile

was a little underwhelmed when the signing was announced, but i'm warming to it, i certainly think he gives us a different option to the rest, and at the very very worst, he'll give us slightly better options up there than chris hall did.

:blink: underwhelmed! why? Surely you didn't believe the rumours of Scholes', Cole and Yorke!! :wacko:

Only slightly better options than Chris Hall!!! Michael Palin would have give us better options up front than Chris Hall... never mind Michael Ricketts!!!

But yes if fit a very different option and imo like Hughes, could be fantastic for the club next year! or not!?!?

:blink: underwhelmed! why? Surely you didn't believe the rumours of Scholes', Cole and Yorke!! :wacko:

Only slightly better options than Chris Hall!!! Michael Palin would have give us better options up front than Chris Hall... never mind Michael Ricketts!!!

But yes if fit a very different option and imo like Hughes, could be fantastic for the club next year! or not!?!?

I think this could be a very good signing for us and with

loads of choice up front

but i still think that we need a left back, winger, center midfield and an other forward.

really looking forward to the start of the season now only 4 weks on saturday!!!!

no, of course i didn't believe those rumours, but i was sure it would at least be robbie fowler :grin: i just worry that ricketts has gone from team to team on a downward spiral and failed to show an increased impact

and i also said at the very very worst before the chris hall bit, thanks! :huh:

this is an absolute quality signing bar none, proven goalscorer - he will be the power striker you need at this level and shez has played the trump card with this signing.

Ive mentioned b4 only unhappy bout 1 signing and that is ALLOTT - who i dont think is good enough to do the job but thats my opinion and i hope deep in my heart he will prove me wrong and you can all have a go at me during the season

people mentioning left backs - i for one would have stam there again only my opinion,

cant wait for the next signing

Marhar, did you see how 'good' Fowler was at Citeh and Dirty Leeds?

what in the premiership? was he as good as ricketts at that level?

anyway i'm not arguing, i think ricketts is a good signing, as i was getting at in my post when the relevant parts are quoted in full

was a little underwhelmed when the signing was announced, but i'm warming to it, i certainly think he gives us a different option to the rest, and at the very very worst, he'll give us slightly better options up there than chris hall did. he only needed one chance to score against us for leeds even when he was out of form, so hope it goes well for him

my worry is that from watching at bolton (family are bolton fans), even when he's on form he'll give the impression of not being interested, he's got the body language that will attract the boo-boys, and lets be honest we've got plenty of those