League 2 - no mans land

Have been trying to succinctly describe how crap it is being in league 2. Having watched my local team on Saturday in tier 9 with just short of 1k in attendance, I would characterise it as follows.

League 2 takes the worst of the premier league and the worst of non-league and combines the two. It takes none of the good from from either That’s the package.

- Price: it’s expensive (prem)

- stadia: few grounds with charm and character, most grounds are soul less, most all seated and dull, can’t drink and watch the game (prem)

- atmosphere: as a home fan, it’s usually crap (non-league) 

- quality of football (non-league standard)

It’s total no mans land. Not got the charm of lower league and not got the quality and experience of the premier league. It’s not five star luxury, it’s not camping beneath the stars. 

it’s a huge turn off. 

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We won't need to worry about it in a few weeks time...

Ha ha. I suspected that response. Am not sure national league is any better. Got to go significantly lower before there is any fun to be had!!

14 hours ago, Andy b said:

Have been trying to succinctly describe how crap it is being in league 2. Having watched my local team on Saturday in tier 9 with just short of 1k in attendance, I would characterise it as follows.

League 2 takes the worst of the premier league and the worst of non-league and combines the two. It takes none of the good from from either That’s the package.

- Price: it’s expensive (prem)

- stadia: few grounds with charm and character, most grounds are soul less, most all seated and dull, can’t drink and watch the game (prem)

- atmosphere: as a home fan, it’s usually crap (non-league) 

- quality of football (non-league standard)

It’s total no mans land. Not got the charm of lower league and not got the quality and experience of the premier league. It’s not five star luxury, it’s not camping beneath the stars. 

it’s a huge turn off. 

I think this is more prevalent because we’re shit. 

For example- I’d have very little problem with league two if we were in top 7. 

Agree with a lot of that.

For all the extra money floating about in League Two, the football isn't much better than the top half of the National League.

I wouldn't overstate the charm of non league though. For every trip to York or Southport there's one to the likes of North Ferriby or Eastleigh.

Visiting a shed in the middle of nowhere with no functioning roof at all, watching a local businessman's vanity project with 90 home fans loses its charm pretty quickly. 

And the National League manage to make the EFL look competent.

This all making me nostalgic for the League One days...

Archived