A Latics Novel??

This is a very strange question... A mate has said that when he was a kid, mid 90s, he remembers reading a book about kids that came through our youth system and ended up at Spurs and Arsenal.

I think he's on the waccy baccy.  

Anyone?

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's not your book, is it?

I remember there was one about Rochdale along those lines when they were (even more) our inferiors around the mid-90s...

Mine was slightly more credible. Slightly...

Wasn't as good as my film script.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been voyeuristically following the banter on OWTB for a number of years, but felt I needed to add to this thread.

Living in Germany in the early 90's, in the glory days, I was lucky enough to be able to pull on my Latics top a few times, and head down to the Irish pub in Cologne's old town to enjoy a match on Sky.

I met some crazy German fans of the English game there (Freddie, the Newcastle fan springs to mind), including a lad, Thomas Leitheiser, who was an avid Blue. From recollection, this stemmed from time he had spent during his studies in Ashton-under-Lyne. Poor chap.

Anyhow, Thomas (great guy) let it be known that he had written a German-language book called "Come on Oldham", and was trying to get it published. Long story short, he lent me a copy, which I duly photocopied and read. In fact, I still have most of it - save for a few pages from the first chapter, which have gone AWOL.

It was really rather good - and a fun read; a crime/detective story (of the Köln Krimi genre), and whilst my memory of the storyline is vague, I seem to recall it involving the kidnap of an Oldham player who was jogging along the banks of a canal when the team were on a pre-season friendly, playing SC Fortuna Köln. With action in both Cologne and the UK, it featured cameos from the likes of Roger Palmer etc ...

I have long harboured (but sadly not actioned) the thought of getting back in touch with Thomas, and getting the damned thing published - in both languages. Much easier these days - even if only as an e-book. Possibly fun for fans and local schools alike, but even if not, it's a shame for it not to ever have seen the light of day.

Interestingly, the tale and timeline of Fortuna rather mirrors our own. Whilst they never made the Bundesliga, they missed out by a whisker in the late 80s, but have been on a slow decline since, aided and abetted by corrupt owners, currently play in the 5th tier (I think) but are now a more stable footing and on the up.

Come on Oldham, indeed!

• Like 6

Talking of German football, last week at the Barnet home game, I got talking to the young chap in front of me in the JRS  who was over from Germany on a business trip in York, and was flying out from Manchester Airport following day, and who chose to come and watch Latics for his first experience of proper English football. He was a Kaiserlauten fan and shared some of his similar fan experiences. At least we won!

1 hour ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Talking of German football, last week at the Barnet home game, I got talking to the young chap in front of me in the JRS  who was over from Germany on a business trip in York, and was flying out from Manchester Airport following day, and who chose to come and watch Latics for his first experience of proper English football. He was a Kaiserlauten fan and shared some of his similar fan experiences. At least we won!

What were the alternatives that evening?