LOTW - 9/8/07 - Nick Henry

Stevie_J

lotwhenryzt7.jpg

Welcome to the eighteenth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's midfield man, Nick Henry.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

N.B. Sorry there was no LOTW last week - you can all blame Ackey for that! :wink:

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Nick Henry

Date of birth: 21 February 1969, Liverpool

Oldham Athletic record:

Appearances: League 264(9), FA Cup 21, League Cup 30(4)

Goals: League 19, League Cup 3

Debut: Hull City (a) 19 September 1987, lost 0-1

Also played for: Liverpool Schoolboys, Halmstad(Sweden) on loan, Sheffield United, Walsall, Tranmere Rovers, Scarborough

Managed:Scarborough

When Nick Henry arrived at Boundary Park, a fresh-faced 15-year-old in January 1985, Athletic were, at the mid-point of the season, fourth from the bottom of Division Two.

Ah, the lovely Nicky Henry. He was my first favourite player. We even had a cat named after him. Was a bit embarrassing standing at the door shouting him in. Not as embarrassing as the fact that his twin brother, my mother named. Her favourite player was Jobbo :blink: .

Anyway...... Was at a 'celeb' cricket match (Royton I think) in 1992, and Nick was there. Knowing he was my favourite player, my particularly embarrassing father went up to him and said (and I quote) "My daughter thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread". This was the result: (No comments about the hair please...I was young.... :grin:)

nickhenry.jpg

Edited by maddog

Nick Henry was a great little player who along with Mike Milligan were the engine room of our successful early 90's team.

Extremely hardworking and willing runner who really made the team tick.

He used to get forward more than Milligan who played more of a holding role which allowed Henry to get forward.

He chipped in with some very useful goals, none more important than the one he scored away in our 1-0 win at Aston Villa when we won our last three games to survive in the Premiership in 1992/93.

That goal also confirmed Manure as champions that day as I always remind them.

Great little player and a real grafter for the team, he played a massive part in our success and his contribution should not be underestimated.

Latics Legend :imnotworthy:

Definitely one of my favourites.

A great player and the the way he just turned up, knocked on the door and asked for a trial was class! When I was a kid I went to Latique and asked for number 4 on my new orange (it was orange) away shirt and was more than a bit disappointed when she said "are you sure you want number 4 on it, you really want 4, that's Nick Henry?" like it was a bad thing!

Still only 38 too, Shez was still going then. Didn't Henry's back stop him playing in the end?

Definitely one of my favourites.

A great player and the the way he just turned up, knocked on the door and asked for a trial was class! When I was a kid I went to Latique and asked for number 4 on my new orange (it was orange) away shirt and was more than a bit disappointed when she said "are you sure you want number 4 on it, you really want 4, that's Nick Henry?" like it was a bad thing!

Still only 38 too, Shez was still going then. Didn't Henry's back stop him playing in the end?

Yep think it was his back that prematurely ended his career. Funnt thing was that when he first came into the team he couldn't shoot for toffee but over the years who could forget his wonderful goals v Arsenal, his screamers at Sheffield United and Grimsby, his half-volley v Coventry and the one in the return fixture with the outside of his foot at Highfield Road.

true legend,was in the same bar as him and his family in playa den bossa,ibiza,about 6 years ago.the missus would'nt believe me when i told her who it was,one of my all time favourite players.she told me to go and talk to him and have a picture with him but i totally bottled it.well i could'nt i was in awe of him.a true legend.

I remember heading to County Cork to see Latics in a pre-season friendly against Cobh Ramblers (ended up a 0-0 draw). Me and my dad weren't exactly chuffed with what was happening with the club at the time - Graham Sharp was manager and Andy Richie was gone.

Anyway, I remember my dad shouting 'bring back Andy Richie' at the top of his voice right beside the Latics subs bench. He got a filthy look from Sharp and, as the team and management were walking off the pitch at half time, Sharp even gave me - a young lad at that time - a scowl.

I wasn't at all pleased, but then it all changed - Nick Henry strolled right over to myself and my pal (my dad was having a pint at this stage) and gave us a big smile, a big thumbs up, and had a brief chat.

I say 'brief chat' because I was awestruck and couldn't think of anything to say - but Nicky made my day. He actually approached me and my friend and it made us feel like kings for a week.

Legend.

Is that where your pedant characteristics come from? I'm disappointed that not enough teachers are pedants these days - anything goes! :angry:

My Dad's the sort of guy who, when someone says "it's 10 past 12", he will say, "actually it's 9 and a half minutes past 12".

:grin:

That wasnt a cricket match, that was a lickle holiday cabin in Rhyl!

Anyhoo!

I remember the goal at Villa, fantastic strike.

Yeah. At least I wasn't interviewed for Close Up North after that game with same horrendous hair. Ahem :blush: