shef wed fans being sued...by shef wed!

Guest sheridans_world

That is pretty sad. The SWFC board are acting like they are still in the playground.

Oh My God i said something detremental, help me defend my libel case!

I think this is even more serious than that - dunno if the Mods could comment on this...

If the fans are genuinely being sued for comments on a chatboard - if succesful - where does it leave a board such as ours??

Should Coco be looking for a lawyer?? :mmm:

Edited by BigfinLatic

I think this is even more serious than that - dunno if the Mods could comment on this...

If the fans are genuinely being sued for comments on a chatboard - if succesful - where does it leave a board such as ours??

Should Coco be looking for a lawyer?? :mmm:

I don't know the ins and outs of this case nor what was said but it is something to be aware of.

Having opinions is absolutely fine and of course we still have freedom of speech in this Country but there are laws in place covering libel; slander; incitement to violence etc.

I think in Sheffield Wednesday's case, there has been a long-running campaign about Dave Allen and I imagine that some of this has got highly personal and he is now sueing for defamation of character. Let's face it, where football is concerned, it is all too easy to get over-emotional and common sense and reason flies out of the window quickly.

Despite what some have said, we, as a Moderating Team, rarely remove posts - I think there have only been 2 or 3 occurrences in the past couple of months - and those have been down to standards of decency. If someone where to submit libellous posts, then we would be doing them a favour in removing them. There are frequently negative (as well as positive) comments about OAFC and its staff and that is fine - just as long as people don't overstep the mark and come out with some outrageous, non-factual statement that is offensive and could be seen as defamation of character. Personally, I knwo that Latics are an open Club and if people truly have a beef with OAFC Staff/ Board, then hopefully, they would take it up directly without recourse to hiding behind a Username. Just my opinion though.

Individuals post at their own risk on Messageboards and we would only become liable if we condoned those words by showing support or agreement. Fortunately, that has not happened and as I said a few days ago on a different topic, that is down to the Members.

I guess things may have been different in the aftermath of the Chris Moore era and I remember thinking at the time that should he have wanted to, then he could have sued many posters on The Official Messageboard and JKL should he so have chosen.

Guest sheridans_world
I guess things may have been different in the aftermath of the :censored: era and I remember thinking at the time that should he have wanted to, then he could have sued many posters on The Official Messageboard and JKL should he so have chosen.

That is DISGUSTING language, if i were a mod i'd have to moderate that post. :wink:

Edited by sheridans_world

Defamation is any published material that damages the reputation of an individual or an organisation. This covers material on the internet. You can only publish defamatory material if it comes within one of the recognised legal defences. If it doesn’t, the publication will amount to libel and you may have to pay substantial damages.

Unfortunately in the UK, libel law protects individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. The burden of proof lies with the defendant. In the US however, their laws are the other way around - which is the way it should be - the defamed party must prove that the statement are false.

• 11 months later...

Had to search for this! Remember reading it way back. Football 365's Media Watch have a piece on it today. Very interesting and oddly enough Wednesday have dropped their action. Strange.....

(long read but well worth taking a look at)

Fanning The Flames

Here's a good news story during these dark times. The author and political activist George Monbiot is now free 'to write about the worst example of legal bullying I have ever seen'. As good as his word, Monbiot has duly devoted his weekly column in The Guardian to the tale of how Sheffield Wednesday brought almost complete ruin to the lives of supporters of the club over trivial and heartflelt posts on an obscure internet site.

For Monbiot, 'the point of this story is not that the directors of Sheffield Wednesday have behaved like a bunch of petulant bullies [but that] It's that the law equips them to do so and the internet ensures that the law of defamation now threatens anyone who stands up for what he believes to be right.'

Others will see it as indicative of the crumbling relationship between football clubs and those they were originally founded to represent. Either way, it's one that deserves retelling and greater public awareness. So Mediawatch makes no apology for the lengthy extracts from Monbiot's column that follow.

'The club has had serious problems, on and off the pitch, and many of its fans use an internet forum - owlstalk.co.uk - to discuss them. They make the kind of comments you would expect to find on any talk board, and which would normally be forgotten within 15 minutes. Two and half years ago the club launched its first suit. Only now have the people who posted these comments emerged blinking from the labyrinthine nightmare of English law.

'Here are some of the comments over which the club complained. "What an embarrassing, pathetic, laughing stock of a football club we've become." "Another day, another blunder. I doubt even Leeds were in such a mess this time last summer, and look what happened to them." "I am waiting with bated breath to hear who the Chuckle Brothers have signed after their trip to watch players abroad. With the amount of money they have to spend and the wages they can offer the best we can hope for is that little known Transvestitavian International I Sukblodov, who last scored in a brothel."

'Such comments were deemed by Sheffield Wednesday's lawyers to be "false and seriously defamatory messages" which had caused grievous injury to the delicate flowers who ran the club. Wednesday went to court to demand the names and email addresses of 14 people who had posted comments on owlstalk. The lawyers threatened "proceedings to include claims for injunctions, damages, interest and legal costs (which could be substantial)". The judge threw most of the application out, but instructed the forum's host to reveal the email addresses of four of the posters, whose remarks seem to me to be almost as trivial as those he dismissed. This took place a year ago, and the long shadow of the law hung over the posters until the club's lawyers dropped the case last week.

'Another case dates back to February 2006, when the club sent a warning letter to a fan called Nigel Short. When he received the letter he offered to apologise and to change his comments, but the club rejected this. He was able to fight it only because he found a lawyer - Mark Lewis of George Davies Solicitors in Manchester - who was incensed by this case and was prepared to represent him. "I've had two and a half years of worrying I was going to lose my house," Short tells me. "It's been hell. If Mark hadn't done this no win, no fee, I would have been bankrupt by now."

'In November 2007, Short was diagnosed with throat cancer. The case continued. But on Wednesday September 3 he announced that his treatment had been successful. On Friday September 5, the club dropped the case and agreed to pay his costs. It issued a press release which suggested it had done so because of "Mr Short's medical condition". I asked the club whether it had abandoned the case because it knew that Short would now live to fight the action. It has refused to answer my questions.'

Defamation is any published material that damages the reputation of an individual or an organisation. This covers material on the internet. You can only publish defamatory material if it comes within one of the recognised legal defences. If it doesn’t, the publication will amount to libel and you may have to pay substantial damages.

Unfortunately in the UK, libel law protects individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. The burden of proof lies with the defendant. In the US however, their laws are the other way around - which is the way it should be - the defamed party must prove that the statement are false.

So if Posh Spice read (assuming she can read) our "Posh Spice is a Slapper" thread? could we be in trouble?

I don't know the ins and outs of this case nor what was said but it is something to be aware of.

Having opinions is absolutely fine and of course we still have freedom of speech in this Country but there are laws in place covering libel; slander; incitement to violence etc.

I think in Sheffield Wednesday's case, there has been a long-running campaign about Dave Allen and I imagine that some of this has got highly personal and he is now sueing for defamation of character. Let's face it, where football is concerned, it is all too easy to get over-emotional and common sense and reason flies out of the window quickly.

Despite what some have said, we, as a Moderating Team, rarely remove posts - I think there have only been 2 or 3 occurrences in the past couple of months - and those have been down to standards of decency. If someone where to submit libellous posts, then we would be doing them a favour in removing them. There are frequently negative (as well as positive) comments about OAFC and its staff and that is fine - just as long as people don't overstep the mark and come out with some outrageous, non-factual statement that is offensive and could be seen as defamation of character. Personally, I knwo that Latics are an open Club and if people truly have a beef with OAFC Staff/ Board, then hopefully, they would take it up directly without recourse to hiding behind a Username. Just my opinion though.

Individuals post at their own risk on Messageboards and we would only become liable if we condoned those words by showing support or agreement. Fortunately, that has not happened and as I said a few days ago on a different topic, that is down to the Members.

I guess things may have been different in the aftermath of the Chris Moore era and I remember thinking at the time that should he have wanted to, then he could have sued many posters on The Official Messageboard and JKL should he so have chosen.

I think everybody is great. Can I have that noted as I would never say anything bad about anybody :lipsrsealed2:

So if Posh Spice read (assuming she can read) our "Posh Spice is a Slapper" thread? could we be in trouble?

Certainly as regards her unorthodox practices in the bedroom go, there might be a defence in that she has never brought libel charges against several hundred thousand people who has sung about them in the past...