Neal Eardley

THE BOYS A BIT SPECIAL

Neal Eardley, Oldham

Born 06/11/88, Llandudno Position Right-back

Nickname Eards

Club Supported As A Boy I've always been a huge Liverpool fan and grew up watching the likes of McManaman and Fowler.

Strenghts As a right back, I love getting forward and getting crosses in for other people to get on the end of. As a defender, obviously I'm there to do a job at the back but you can't beat the buzz of doing some damage in the opposition half.

Weaknesses My heading's not the best and my physical conditioning needs a bit of work but I'm much stronger this season than I was when I made my debut. It takes time to adjust to the hurly-burley of League One but the more I play the fitter and stronger I'm becoming.

I play a bit like I don't like to compare myself to ther players but I look up to the likes of Gary Neville - much as I hate United. He's a great pro and a brilliant example to any youngster coming through. He's never in the papers after a late night or a boozy session, he's just a top player.

Highlights Making my Oldham debut and coming up against Peter Beagrie when he was at Scunthorpe was great. Making my senior debut for Wales was a real honour too. I came on the second half against Bulgaria and think I did myself justice. I'm still in John Toshack's squad so he must have agreed!

Lowlights Losing in the play-off semi-final against Blackpool was devastating.

Toughest Opponent Martin Petrov. He was so quick and strong it was frightening.

Best player played with To train with Craig Bellamy and Ryan Giggs with Wales was just unbeleivable. To start with I was a bit overawed. I don't think I spoke for half an hour.

Biggest Influence My mum and dad were always there to ferry me from North Wales to Oldham when I was a kid so they've always been fantastic. At Oldham, Tony Philliskirk was the head of the youth team and was a brilliant coach.

Biggest practical joker Andy Liddell, by a country mile. He's always in the mix with the banter and you can't ever shut him up!

Latest car I've got a Peugeot 207 Sport at the moment. I was driving a Seat Ibiza but I got it written off. I had it parked outside my girlfriends hourse and some idiot smashed into it at 3.30 in the morning.

Flicks I went recently actually to go and see Mr Woodcock because it had that bloke from American Pie (Sean William Scott) in it. It wasn't the best to be honest, not side splitting.

Chicks Apart from my girlfriend, I've always had a thing for Kimberley Walsh from Girls Aloud.

Preferred holiday destination This summer I went to Zante with the lads and it was superb, I'll be back there.

If I hadn't been a footballer I was never the brightest at school - the GCSE's didn't go too well - but I would have gone back to college and got a sports diploma. Then who knows?

Tell us something we don't know I once had a trial at Oldham with Micah Richards. I can't remember how he did and he shot off to Manchester City soon after. Lucky, because I might struggle to hold down the right-back slot if he'd stayed!

If I could play alongside any player I would love to play in the same team as Steven Gerrard. He's just a superb player - one of the best in the world.

Most embarrassing moment I was playing for Wales Under-21s against France in Grenoble. It was 0-0 and everything was going nicely until I popped up and scored an own goal. We lost 1-0. I was gutted.

In five years time I want to be playing at the highest level and testing myself against the best players in the world.

Edited by carrabanana

THE BOYS A BIT SPECIAL

Neal Eardley, Oldham

Born 06/11/88, Llandudno Position Right-back

I've always been a huge Liverpool fan and grew up watching the likes of McManaman and Fowler.

much as I hate United.

I would love to play in the same team as Steven Gerrard. He's just a superb player - one of the best in the world.

In five years time I want to be playing at the highest level and testing myself against the best players in the world.

C'ya Neal. :D

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

If he keeps developing there's not a cat in Ricketts' kitchen's chance of us keeping him, but good luck to the lad. He comes across very much as if he's got his head screwed on, you can see why Shez gave him the captaincy (as well as to add to the fee of course)

I remember after Sean had to retire so early with the heart problems he had, Neal said he was going to work harder than ever and that anything he achieved in the game would be for Sean. He's done pretty well so far!

As you say if the rate of progression continues like it has he'll go a very long way.

We must be able to come up with a chant for Eardley that mentions his dislike of ManUre, (without just nicking a chant off ManUre and changing the names).

There must be someone who posts on here who has a track record of coming up with clever, witty and catchy songs. If not, I'm sure Diego will cobble something together :D

I remember after Sean had to retire so early with the heart problems he had, Neal said he was going to work harder than ever and that anything he achieved in the game would be for Sean. He's done pretty well so far!

As you say if the rate of progression continues like it has he'll go a very long way.

What position did Sean play? Was he considered a better prospect than Neal?

Guest oa_exile
Defender shocker for Latics

Monday Apr 10 2006 09:31

Oldham Athletic have been rocked by the news that promising 19-year-old defender Sean Eardley has been forced to retire from the game due to a heart condition.

The youngster hadn't featured in Ronnie Moore's first team, but he looked set for a bright future in the game after captaining Wales at junior levels.

However, a medical revealed the problem and he has had no choice but to quit playing.

He said: "Doctors said my heart would not stand up to the rigours of being a professional footballer."

Eardley's revelation comes at the same time as the Latics offered fellow youngsters Matty Wolfenden, Matty Barlow, Chris Lever, Chris Bagley, Michael Pearson and Terry Smith one-year deals.

Now playing for >>Llandudno FC<< in the Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League

Young defender, a former pupil of Ysgol John Bright, who signed from Oldham Athletic after health problems ended his professional career. Sean represented Wales Under 19s and prior to this was a member of the National Development Squad.

We must be able to come up with a chant for Eardley that mentions his dislike of ManUre, (without just nicking a chant off ManUre and changing the names).

There must be someone who posts on here who has a track record of coming up with clever, witty and catchy songs. If not, I'm sure Diego will cobble something together :D

When Eardley's on the ball, we could sing "He only hates Man United"

Turn the words around to the gary neville song that they sing...

[To the tune of London Bridge Is Falling Down]

Neil Eardley is our boy

Is our boy

Is our boy

Neil Eardley is our boy

He hates Man U

To the tune of 'Deliah' (semi-intentionally celebrating his welsh roots)

"Neil, Neil, Neil Eardley"

and then like the weetabix advert: "He only hates Man United"

Plus I hope someone had the bright spark of checking his heart out fully as we don't want a repeat of Marc-Vivien Foe or Asa Hartford

Just got in and cobbled this together:

To the tune of Volare

Neal Eardley Oh! Oh!

Neal Eardley Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!

He's tangerine and blue

He only hates ManU

Or in recognition of his Welsh heritage

to the tune of Bread of Heaven:

Ne-al Eardley, Ne-al Eardley

He'll hate ManU evermore

He'll hate ManU ever-more

Edited by Diego_Sideburns