"I won't rule on latics"

Alan Hardy, Latics' chief executive, said officials' concerns had heightened when they saw the leaflet carrying the names of Cllr Bashforth and his ward colleague Cllr Phil Harrison.
M.EN , see the dateI won't rule on Latics' stadium, says planning boss

Carl Marsden

25/ 4/2007

PLANNING Committee chairman Steven Bashforth has denied any impropriety after assisting a residents' group opposed to Oldham Athletic's multi-million redevelopment plans for Boundary Park.

Concerned club officials sought clarification after learning that Cllr Bashforth was set to chair a protest meeting against their recently-submitted planning application tomorrow night.

Cllr Bashforth (pictured) also confirmed to the Advertiser that he had printed leaflets advertising the meeting for the 'Residents Together' group and booked their meeting venue.

However, the Royton South member insists he was simply helping his constituents in the same way he would assist any community group and has now pledged to remove himself from the final decision-making process.

"I have no intention to abuse my position as chair of planning and would not knowingly do so," he said.

"I do not believe I have acted improperly here and believe that I have a strong responsibility and moral duty to listen to constituents' concerns and give them the best advice I can."

He added: "However, I don't think it is now possible for me to chair the residents' meeting. I also don't think I will be able to chair the planning meeting that discusses this and will likely leave the room and defer to my deputy.

"It has been difficult but you often walk a tightrope with issues like this when you're obliged to help constituents on the one hand while also wanting to be careful not to be seen as taking sides."

Alan Hardy, Latics' chief executive, said officials' concerns had heightened when they saw the leaflet carrying the names of Cllr Bashforth and his ward colleague Cllr Phil Harrison.

"We were alarmed that a hand-out opposing the plans was distributed with the names of two councillors on it; one of whom chairs the planning committee making the final decision," he said.

"We had obvious concerns about rules and impartiality but - after consultations with Cllr Bashforth and colleagues - we understand he will not chair either meeting if he thinks his position has been compromised.

"I'd also like to stress that we've had several meetings to allow residents to express their concerns and our message to them is that our doors remain open."

Roy Bradbury, spokesman for Residents Together, claims a recent survey by the group which was returned by 131 residents found 98.5 per cent were against the development plans.

Their latest leaflet, citing concerns about traffic congestion and loss of light, chiefly focuses on the part of the application which seeks outline permission to build apartments around Boundary Park.

"We are not against Oldham Athletic," said Mr Bradbury. "But we are for our own privacy, the value of our own houses and whatever else may affect the daily lives of neighbouring residents."

l THE residents' meeting takes place at the Clayton Arms tomorrow starting at 7pm and is expected to finish at 8.30pm.

?

Edited by boboafc

Not wanting to appear podantic on this, as it is important at this time...but in the interview with Carl Marsden back on 25th April (?) as already posted by Diego), Mr Bashforth is quoted as saying...

“I do not believe I have acted improperly here and believe that I have a strong responsibility and moral duty to listen to constituents' concerns and give them the best advice I can.”

In the Chronicle interview featured on Friday 16th November Councillor Bashforth says...

Councillor Bashforth said: “I have never told residents I would come down one way or another or given them advice. "

Is it me or is that a contradictory statement? Another point to raise in the responses to the councillors and the leaders of the council?

:wink:

posted this on another thread, but would be worth making the point. Thank goodness we have access to some local papers that are prepared to be journalists not splinter cushions.

Wonder what reply we would get if everyone emailed bashforth with this :grin:

I've emailed all the councillors who voted against with the link and asked for their comments. I've had one reply. This said he didn't agree with Bashforth's actions.

I can't wait to read The Advertiser this week!

Is it out on Wednesday?

Been told that currently, the angle of their news story is changing by the hour, this week. I am still hopeful and led to believe the Advertiser will have something quite interesting in it this week on the story. Putting two and two together, I'm hoping it'll be that Bashforth will be removed from taking part on our next application. But that's only my guess, from what I was told last night.

I've emailed all the councillors who voted against with the link and asked for their comments. I've had one reply. This said he didn't agree with Bashforth's actions.

Jac, could you post up that email you refer to ta. (the reply you've recieved. I mean)

I emailed bash with the link on the night of the decision and asked for his comments...got a few words back, but nothing that relates to his 'quitting' of either post!! very poor!!!! :disappointed:

Bashforth won't quit.....he enjoys his fat cat ego-rubbing position far too much. I'm more inclined to think that others above ie. David Jones the Council leader etc. might state that he's relieved him from his planning committee duties. Or something like that. It's only a guess anyway, one I'd love to see happen and think it should. We shall see. Could be completely wrong, but I am led to believe something positive for us is coming out in the next day or so.

Jac, could you post up that email you refer to ta. (the reply you've recieved. I mean)

I already put this somewhere but not sure where it is! So don't shout at me for repeating!!

Good Morning if that was me who had done those leaflets and said that to the press then i would have declaired an interest of personal and predudicial and walked out of the meeting, however i presume steven took legal advice on what to do from the brough solicitior and her advice was its only a pesonal interest and this is what he declaired. I reittterate though if it was me i would have left the room Cheers Mr Rogers