Greegs & Lids

Just had a thought this morning.... I was thinking about the team for tomorrow and I realised that these forgotton, folorn figures are still not in the team! :wink:

Anyway, on a serious note, to be honest with all the excitement over the last few weeks (with the ground and winning games and everything...) I havent a bloomin clue what is wrong with them or when they will be back???

Can anyone enlighten me on what is wrong with them (other than being a little tubby, and legs that have gone respectively) and when they will be back??? - think we could really do with the bodies back soon...

Just had a thought this morning.... I was thinking about the team for tomorrow and I realised that these forgotton, folorn figures are still not in the team! :wink:

Anyway, on a serious note, to be honest with all the excitement over the last few weeks (with the ground and winning games and everything...) I havent a bloomin clue what is wrong with them or when they will be back???

Can anyone enlighten me on what is wrong with them (other than being a little tubby, and legs that have gone respectively) and when they will be back??? - think we could really do with the bodies back soon...

Lids has damage to his achilles and should hopefully be back in training very soon and Greegs has same problem but not been said when he will be back... think it may be a while longer than lids. :disappointed:

Guest sheridans_world
Wasn't there a page on the fishul with updates on injuries before? Can't seem to see anything. Did I imagine it?? :huh:

Used to be, got taken down when we moved to the new format. It wasnt updated much anyway...

even if greegs was fit he doesnt deserve a place captain or not, ruuuuuuubes trotters and stam have all performed much better and captain marvell has an unbeaten captains record

I knew this would spark this arguement.... but I utterly dont agree, we may be on good run but there is always space in the team for quality, how quickly we forget how good gregan was looking before he got injured - when fully fit, I am pretty sure he will be straight back in the side... Trotters will get his chance, but Gregan and Stammy are the number 1 centre back pairing....

As for Lids - well, surprise surprise i'm not to sure... would still start with Smalley, and then lids on for last half an hour is things not going our way...

More than anything i just think we need the bodies back... the squad for saturday is paper thin.... only kids on the bench (and 5 or 6 in the team) is not the best place to be heading into the xmas period... but hey - as is rightfully said these kid are doing us proud - so lets have faith in the,....

I knew this would spark this arguement.... but I utterly dont agree, we may be on good run but there is always space in the team for quality, how quickly we forget how good gregan was looking before he got injured - when fully fit, I am pretty sure he will be straight back in the side...

no he wasnt he just wasnt looking as bad as he had been, he still made 2 mistakes per match instead of 3 or 4 and thats 2 too many. swagger my @rse, its called wobbeling.

I wouldn't bring Greegan back into the side if he was fit... how can you change a side that's won 3 on the bounce!? And is playing with confidence and positivity instead of fear and negativity!

I dont think bringing Lids and Greegs back in the squad would effect us really, as for 3 on the bounce am i missing something Trannie, Port Vale?? and Donnie. With the Port Vale performance was rather tosh!! I think bringing greegs back would only be a positive move, bring some much needed experience to guide the kiddies through. Same with Lids.

I do agree bringing Lids on with 30 mins to go would damage a lot of teams instead of putting him in from the start. BUT who would we stick on the right from the outset. I dont think Smalley is consisten enough and showed against Port Vale its not his preferred place. Davies ?? May be but lacks the final ball and runs into trouble too much?? Decisions Decisions

I dont think bringing Lids and Greegs back in the squad would effect us really, as for 3 on the bounce am i missing something Trannie, Port Vale?? and Donnie. With the Port Vale performance was rather tosh!! I think bringing greegs back would only be a positive move, bring some much needed experience to guide the kiddies through. Same with Lids.

I do agree bringing Lids on with 30 mins to go would damage a lot of teams instead of putting him in from the start. BUT who would we stick on the right from the outset. I dont think Smalley is consisten enough and showed against Port Vale its not his preferred place. Davies ?? May be but lacks the final ball and runs into trouble too much?? Decisions Decisions

Agree 100% - however i think Smalley could develop into a cracking player if some of the pressure was taken off him, especillay at home.... by knowing he is not the only option, and Lids was there to support him, and come on if things need changing, then I think he will come on leaps and bounds - he is just the brunt of the boo boys at the moment, and Shez does not have the option to change it....

By the way - you are missing Bournemouth... bt its still not 3 on the bounce (but 3 out of 4 aint bad :wink: )

I think we all know - greegs is a better player under pressure.... and a fired up Trotters and Ruubs waiting in the wings should bring out the best in him...

Guest sheridans_world
Trotters will get his chance, but Gregan and Stammy are the number 1 centre back pairing....

I dont agree, Hazel and Gregan for me...

Unless you have factored in loosing Eardley ($$$$$$$$$$) and Bertrand.

I dont agree, Hazel and Gregan for me...

Unless you have factored in loosing Eardley ($$$$$$$$$$) and Bertrand.

Its a close call - and you are probably right - as gregan and Stam are both left sided CB's.... whilst Trotters, hazell and Thommo are right sided... so you need to look at balance...

So is that how Eardley will be permanently referred to - Eardley ($$$$$$$$$$$)!!!! maybe we should get it on the back of his shirt! :wink:

Guest sheridans_world
Its a close call - and you are probably right - as gregan and Stam are both left sided CB's.... whilst Trotters, hazell and Thommo are right sided... so you need to look at balance...

So is that how Eardley will be permanently referred to - Eardley ($$$$$$$$$$$)!!!! maybe we should get it on the back of his shirt! :wink:

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I would rather buy a decent goalkeeper than have Eardley playing for us. Pogs is getting on a bit (I know goalkeepers dont hit their peak until 67 and play until they are 106 but thats not the point) Look at Scunny last season, Joe Murphy, young good keeper, played very very well all last season and contributed a hell of a lot to their promotion. I know we missed out on him but again thats not the point.

I think we should have Pogs on the bench and get a proven 22/23/24 goalkeeper from somewhere. Division below maybe? Scotland? I dont know. What I do know is that Pogs has been a little injury prone and Crossley is far to old (See thread about reactions(oh and his kicking is rubbish)) while Bell and Ollerenshaw are far too young!

Anyway, that arguement aside. We have to think that its likley we will loose Eardley and Bertrand in January. I dont mind loosing either really, as long as the extra gap on the wage bill is filled. It would mean, Lomax would play left back (or you never know, could be Taylor, going off what i have seen he can work there) Stam and Gregan central and Hazel right back.

no he wasnt he just wasnt looking as bad as he had been, he still made 2 mistakes per match instead of 3 or 4 and thats 2 too many. swagger my @rse, its called wobbeling.

Harshest post of the day.

I'm sure Gregan will come straight back into the team as soon as he is fully fit, Shez didn't make him team Captain because he didn't think he'd be good enough to hold down a regular first team spot.

As for his mistakes, I've seen Trotman and Stam both make mistakes in the recent games we've been winning.

Players that never make any mistakes or errors of judgement during a game are usually playing at a higher level than League 1.

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I would rather buy a decent goalkeeper than have Eardley playing for us. Pogs is getting on a bit (I know goalkeepers dont hit their peak until 67 and play until they are 106 but thats not the point) Look at Scunny last season, Joe Murphy, young good keeper, played very very well all last season and contributed a hell of a lot to their promotion. I know we missed out on him but again thats not the point.

I think we should have Pogs on the bench and get a proven 22/23/24 goalkeeper from somewhere. Division below maybe? Scotland? I dont know. What I do know is that Pogs has been a little injury prone and Crossley is far to old (See thread about reactions(oh and his kicking is rubbish)) while Bell and Ollerenshaw are far too young!

Anyway, that arguement aside. We have to think that its likley we will loose Eardley and Bertrand in January. I dont mind loosing either really, as long as the extra gap on the wage bill is filled. It would mean, Lomax would play left back (or you never know, could be Taylor, going off what i have seen he can work there) Stam and Gregan central and Hazel right back.

Cash in on our most saleable asset and use the cash to strenthen the team elsewhere, whilst playing perfectly functional lower division players in their place...??? radical.....

Now where have I heard that before.... Hmmmmmm :mmm:

:wink:

Yeah, the same Joe Murphy that Freddie Boswell had on trial and included in the official photocall for 05/06 before releasing him. Great decision Ron!

Guest sheridans_world

Yeah, the same Joe Murphy that Freddie Boswell had on trial and included in the official photocall for 05/06 before releasing him. Great decision Ron!

i didnt know greegs was left sided? left footed? if thats the case hes even worse than i thought!

I didnt say he was left footed - but he is left sided... think back to last season, how many times did we get caught out down Hainings side on the right, and the start of this season where we constantly got caught out on Thommo's right side...?? Part of the reason whey Eardley sometimes looks so average is that he always gets the lesser CB...

... and please explain why being left sided makes him "even worse than you thought" ? Do you have a particulalr hatred of left handed/footed people, to go along with your dislike of good footballers? :wink:

yeah smeggin lefties i hate em all!!

seriously tho i just meant that whenever he makes his daily mistake its usually trying to cut inside an attacker from his left foot to his right, maybe a result of being right footed on the left side of centre half, all the more reason to play stam and ruuuuuuuuubes/ trotters.

yeah smeggin lefties i hate em all!!

seriously tho i just meant that whenever he makes his daily mistake its usually trying to cut inside an attacker from his left foot to his right, maybe a result of being right footed on the left side of centre half, all the more reason to play stam and ruuuuuuuuubes/ trotters.

fair enough point - the occasions where he does get caught out are exactly as you say... when the ball is either flighted down the left and he doesnt deal with it, or when he tries to cut inside on his right....

I personally think the correct solution would be to play greegs on the right with Stammy - however we all know that Shez is very particular in the sides he wants his players to play on... so if not, then i feel it is Mr Stam for the can - so far this season i still think greegs and Ruubs is the best pairing we have seen....