Porter or Davies?

Amsterdam_Blue

Davies or Porter  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Davies or Porter

• Chris Porter
    • Craig Davies

I am convinced that this TEAM is good enough to gain promotion this year and that is not being overly optimistic.

I agree, we are playing some really good football at the moment, but unfortunately we are drawing far too many games where we have been easily the best team but have failed to put away our chances and kill off teams.

I know Davies and Porter are 2 different types of strikers but they are both their to score goals at the end of the day.

As for putting a poll on for Davies or Warne?? I don't think Warne as half the ability Davies has so it would of been a pointless poll would it not? I liked Warne but i doubt many people can say they would prefer him over Davies.

The poll is simply to see how people are comparing Davies (our best striker so far this season) with Porter (our best striker last season).

Davies has the better potential of the two and I think if and when he does go, he'll warrant a fee higher than the one banded about which we got shafted by Motherwell for Porter.

Davies has superb pace. Can beat a man. Unfortunately he goes down far too easy and makes the more simple stuff seem difficult.

Porter. There's no doubt if he'd been playing this season that we wouldnt have dropped so many points this season. Particularly the 4 from the last 2 home games. Generally in the right place at the right time. Who needs pace to beat a man when you can do that?

I'd rather have Davies in the team. Purely because he's more entertaining to watch. Give him a season or two, like Porter had to adjust to playing regular 1st team football at this level and he'll be even better.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Two very different strikers....

I see Porter and Hughes as being similar type players and a discussion on who you would rather have, Hughes or Porter would be more sensible...

I would rather have Davies playing alongside Hughes than Porter... But who would I have in between Porter and Hughes ? I would say Porter at the moment, tried and tested, Hughes still has alot to prove...that said, I do belive Hughes will be the real deal!

Very difficult to compare a striker who has only just come out of prison for 3 years and played only a handful of games to our top goalscorer last term really.

I don't think we've seen anywhere near what Hughes is capable of yet so let's wait for that to come then compare with other players. Davies is playing very well at the minute and doing what he is paid to do which is score or create goalscoring opportunites which is why he is the best comparison to Porter.

Guest sheridans_world

Davies would be able to score a perfect hat-trick - being left foot, right foot and header.

Porters ideal hat-trick would be left knee, right arm and backside.

Guest sheridans_world
But he'd still score it would he not?

Yes but you miss my point.

While Porter is likley to score, he is nowhere near as skilful, pacy or dangerous as Davies is.

While Porter is likley to score, he is nowhere near as skilful, pacy or dangerous as Davies is.

You mean he scores prettier goals? They all count the same as far as I can tell. Porter did score a few nice ones as well, and Davies has bundled a few of his in, all while being less effective in linking play.

Davies is a mile more skilful than Porter but as i've said before strikers are judged on how many goals they score. Davies has had a great season so far and i reckon he'll go on to get 20 in all competitions.

Personally i don't care if a striker does score 3 goals of his left arse cheek as long as he scores!

I fully understood your point that davies is a more techincally gifted player but i wouldn't say he's an out and out better finisher than Porter.

I fully understood your point that davies is a more techincally gifted player but i wouldn't say he's an out and out better finisher than Porter.

Davies definately isn't a better out and out finisher than Porter, but given the choice of the two I'd take Davies every time as he has much more to his game than Porter with his pace and skill, which gives the team far more options.

I will go with Davies on the grounds that he is one of the most natrually talented players Ive seen where a Latics shirt. He can be a s good as he wants to be. Although it doesn't mean he is the best player yet I expect him to be long term. Still can't get my head around people who said that all Porter did was just knock in tap ins thats all strikers have to do. If football was all about moving about and looking like you gave 100% then Paul warne wouldn't be sat on the bench at yeovil and Gary Linekar wouldn't have been one of Englands greatest ever stikers.

Davies would be able to score a perfect hat-trick - being left foot, right foot and header.

Porters ideal hat-trick would be left knee, right arm and backside.

Taking out the goal at Huddersfield Davies hasn't really scored any other spectacular goals; they've either been nodded home from a couple of yards or one-on-one with just the keeper to beat. I'm not taking anything away from him, but there's not that many goals he's scored which Porter would have been unable to have bagged.

Porter was a very intelligent player, definitely more intelligent than Davies is at the moment.

Theres no doubt that Davies has more natural technique and skill with the ball, he can pass a good ball and put in a decent cross when he wants too as well. With the right attitude and coaching he will go a long long way. But football is not always just about skill.

Porter to me played to his strengths, didnt try to much that he couldnt do, he could finish, he could get in the right place at the right time and on the whole kept his game simple when he had the ball and to be fair thats what good players do keep things simple.

Both of the players in my eyes have a good quality in that they dont seem to let it get them down if they miss chances, they will turn up to score another one!

Disagree.. Half of being a good footballer is in the head. Porter has that intelligence. Davies is very headstrong and not a team player at the moment. Porter lacked Pace, Strength, fitness etc etc but he still managed to find the net on a regular basis at a much better chance to goals ratio. He did have skill. Davies will be a better player in the future but right now I would take Porter to get us up this season.

Disagree.. Half of being a good footballer is in the head. Porter has that intelligence. Davies is very headstrong and not a team player at the moment. Porter lacked Pace, Strength, fitness etc etc but he still managed to find the net on a regular basis at a much better chance to goals ratio. He did have skill. Davies will be a better player in the future but right now I would take Porter to get us up this season.

Agree, if we had someone like Porter who scores all types of goals whilst being an effective target man (of which we've missed all season as I'm not even going to mention the over rated turd that was Bentley Boy) we'd easily be top 10. As it is Shez left us weak on the left (square pegs in round holes) and weak upfront due to players being too samey. We need a big bugger up there, someone who can nick a goal when we need one (ala Luton or Donny) someone to a nuisance and someone who can make us look more threatening at set-pieceas. I think Davies has over achieved to get to 10 goals and I'll still be surprised if he gets past 15, in fact it wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes bag more than him overall. Whilst to a certain extent I rate Davies (even got his name on my shirt) he's not a team player, greedy with the ball and doesn't look up and stops working when we haven't got the ball, which is disappointing as he looked to be a real work horse during pre-season and early season. I think he likes to be the centre of the fans' adulation and Hughesy coming could has peed on his chips a little.

To be honest, Davies has really hacked me off lately. I still think he's a cracking player but I've seen a side of him I really don't like. It's clear that he had his nose put right out of joint by the incident with Hughes at Bournemouth (over the penalty) and Davies has become an even greedier player than he was before. And a few times, he's first off the pitch.

He got a lot of stick from others in the first few months saying he rarely played the right ball.....but he was still scoring goals and helping the team. So I didn't have too much of a problem with his play. Plus he helped others to score. Now though, Davies is only playing for Davies IMO. He'd rather score a goal than set one up....perfect example was when he should've slipped in KK into the box (who had lost his man) and instead wasted it by being greedy and lost possession. I'm certain it would've been a goal. Think it was the Luton game (2nd half).....and KK went ballistic at him and I would've too. Yeah, he's put in some good crosses at times (something I've questioned before if he can do and yeah, he can now it seems) but that's when he's had no other alternative (ie. to run into the middle to look for a goal.)

As much as it kills me to say it, I'd have Porter. Some have voted for Davies based on potential and I don't think that's the question being asked (correct me if I'm wrong on that Amsterdam.) As the player Davies is now, Porter would be ahead in my book. Maybe at the end of the season that might change as Davies might develop further (or lose this attitude I feel he's displaying lately and play for the team more) but as it stands, Porter without doubt is ahead in my book. A guy who knew exactly what he was doing rather than a guy gambles and looks very good when it pays off but very poor when it doesn't. I suppose you could argue that's what Porter was doing when he was being caught offside? Hence he looked poor at times. Davies has the potential to be as good as Porter, but he ain't there yet IMO.

(of which we've missed all season as I'm not even going to mention the over rated turd that was Bentley Boy)

BUT THEN YOU DO.......LOL.......

We need a big bugger up there, someone who can nick a goal when we need one (ala Luton or Donny) someone to a nuisance and someone who can make us look more threatening at set-pieceas.

I read on another thread that the 3 A's regularly look at OWTB forums. I only hope Shez does because he would see a growing section of the supporters who are getting fed up with the way Davies is playing at the moment. I have to repeat that I see a player of immense talent in Davies but he has to lose the attitude or else he will go the way of the Bentley Boy with his team mates. No One is bigger than the team in my eyes and I'm not sure Davies can or is willing to change. Just hope he is because him and Hughes could be formidable up front for us. I would have gone for Clarke from Sheffield as a front man. He knew his limitations and played to his strengths.