Dayton,Brown,Gros

Thought we might have heard a bit more from this Kelly considering it looks like he's going to be captain.

I know he was 8th choice at Bristol City but still...

Both B Wilson and Kelly need to up the ante.

Never thought I'd say it, but Connor Brown looked captain material, he was constantly urging on his team mates - and led by example.

Edited by BP1960

Dayton was decent. People need to look at JCH very lazy and didn't look interested

JCH is never going to Succeed up top on his own. He lacks the experience to play in defenders and he works better playing off someone who can do that in my opinion!

All three did well IMO, in contrast I thought B Wilson, Kelly and Forte were average, with JCH looking lethargic as he did against Newcastle.

Good performances from Kusunga, J Wilson and Jones (with his skills he needs to play much further forward).

For me B Wilson has added nothing to the team, and Brown would be ahead of him for that right back slot when Mills returns to left back.

JCH needs to show much more interest, Gros has performed better so far.

We are very strong at centre back, even so I would snap up Llera.

Forte took a knock in the first half.

Agree about B Wilson and Brown, Brown has looked the better player so far. Kusunga has looked a different player so far, more like the one we expected when first signed.

Not been that impressed with Kelly and Jones, although Jones was better today than against Newcastle. Been more impressed with Mellor and Winchester in CM so far.

Forte took a knock in the first half.

Agree about B Wilson and Brown, Brown has looked the better player so far. Kusunga has looked a different player so far, more like the one we expected when first signed.

Not been that impressed with Kelly and Jones, although Jones was better today than against Newcastle. Been more impressed with Mellor and Winchester in CM so far.

Jones has probably the best close control we have seen from a Latics player in many a year and his distribution is excellent, however he is wasted as a defensive midfielder and he needs to pay much further forward prompting and probing to make best use of his skills.

Jones has probably the best close control we have seen from a Latics player in many a year and his distribution is excellent, however he is wasted as a defensive midfielder and he needs to pay much further forward prompting and probing to make best use of his skills.

Don't often disagree with you BP but I'm not having it that Jones close control is better than Winchesters

Don't often disagree with you BP but I'm not having it that Jones close control is better than Winchesters

Think Jones shades it under pressure, he's a bit stronger on the ball IMO.

Edited by BP1960

Both B Wilson and Kelly need to up the ante.

Never thought I'd say it, but Connor Brown looked captain material, he was constantly urging on his team mates - and led by example.

Agreed.

I like Connor. He didnt start his latics career that well, but he has come on leaps and bounds.

I reckon LJ has told JCH to conserve his energy more and not chase hopeful balls. He has the pace an LJ said a few times lat season that he needs to stop chasing balls and save it fr when needed. He is built like a sprinter and can't run round like Paul Warne used to...the problem is with the way the team is set up he won't get many chances to use that pace or race beyond their defence.

I reckon LJ has told JCH to conserve his energy more and not chase hopeful balls. He has the pace an LJ said a few times lat season that he needs to stop chasing balls and save it fr when needed. He is built like a sprinter and can't run round like Paul Warne used to...the problem is with the way the team is set up he won't get many chances to use that pace or race beyond their defence.

Problem is it looks like laziness and Gros must have got a different message.

Edited by BP1960

Problem is it looks like laziness.

He didn't look lazy to me yesterday, but was selective. I don't think that's a bad thing if it reduces the risk of his fitness costing us points (e.g. Crewe away).

In many ways, he did well. He got into the right positions on numerous occasions. But their scorer had composure, JCH didn't. I'd stick with JCH because if somebody's smart enough to get in the right place at the right time the goals usually come.

I still think he'd be better with a strike partner.

Is he that quick though?

Happy to be corrected but don't remember seeing him tear past defenders too often.

Thought the wilsons , kusunga , jones and connor brown all had good games .

Big Lj fan BUT thought he'd get a mix of the first ten games and the last ten of 13/14 .

I know it's early days but seeing a 19 year old striker with little 'game intelligence' constantly 40 yards further up than any of his team mates is very frustrating and slightly worrying .

As easy as his chances were yesterday, especially the second one , I can't really blame JCH for snatching at his opportunities when he is starved of the ball and must have had about 20 touches tops in Newcastle and Melbourne games combined .

We are relying on picking up scraps and capitalising on mistakes for chances rather than pushing up the pitch as a fluid unit .

3-5-2 would make much more sense with the current personnel but it's looking like 4-5-1 is the way it's going to be .

On the plus side I think if we are looking at like for like from last season then mike jones seems a more rounded footballer than wes . He seems to have a little bit of everything in his locker and has impressed me far more than the disappointing Kelly . Early signs are that Bristol city have got A good deal in getting k.smith in for Kelly at a reported 200k difference .

Defence is sound enough (James wilson gets better every game) but if we get undone once have we got enough at the other end of the pitch to stop the now notorious home 0-1's ?

Kelly looks unfit to me, will need to give him time he hardley played at all last season due to bad injury and is only 2 weeks into Pre-season I'm sure we've not been ripped off, I'd have him play further up though and put Jones and Dieng in the centre with JCH a lone striker

i thought jones looked the real deal yesterday... and that's just in a friendly! he was that little bit better then korey smith when under pressure and a lot more clinical with his forward passing!

not sure if he's got the engine that korey smith had, but definitely got the potential to be a much more effective playmaker for us!