Simple tactics

When we went 3-0 down we did abandon the tactics that have stifled for most of this season. Only problem is we went all out to get back into the game only for our defence to go awol. Find the right balance and im sure we could start to turn things around but Dunn is not showing sings of being any different to the previous 2 managers that we have had.

When we went 3-0 down we did abandon the tactics that have stifled for most of this season. Only problem is we went all out to get back into the game only for our defence to go awol. Find the right balance and im sure we could start to turn things around but Dunn is not showing sings of being any different to the previous 2 managers that we have had.

spot the common denominator in that sentence ............. Holden look at our stats defensively since his arrival

Starting with 2 up front gave me hope for some kind of performance but awful defending put us on the back foot straight away. At 3 down with two decent sized strikers on the pitch and all or a sudden we were causing then problems and getting chances to cross into the box. The first goal cane from their 26 slipping but after that we had suddenly found how to attack.go long and try and pick up the second ball.Then we bring rasulo on who might be a player in time but he wants to tip tappy about when really we would have been suited going to long to higdon and fuller. It's depressing watching us do well to make a game of it and then throwing it away with poor defending and abysmal goal keeping..

Edited by bluehobbit

We have other issue that the last 100 minutes at Boundary Park expose:

1) our two goalkeepers are both poor.

2) we appear to be incapable of clearing a corner.

3) when there are three defenders and one forward we aren't smart enough to get a man either side of the forward.?

I hated the idea of giving Phil brown the job a couple of years back, but the simple "pass and move" game Southend played would entertain me.

Coleman had a good end to last season. A couple of mistakes this season but he's young I wouldn't have dropped him and kept chopping and changing the keepers like we have. Cornell should have done better for the possibley the last 3 goals last night.

Edited by bluehobbit

Coleman can't judge a cross. That's a major flaw in his game.

He also makes catching look difficult. Then there's the fact that he can't command his box. Finally, his decision making is dreadful which leads to more uncertainty at the back.

Cornell pulls off the occasional good looking save, but he can't judge a cross either. Come to think of it, he can't command his box either, and is also a soft :censored:er who doesn't like the aerial battle.

Other than that though, it's looking very positive in the goalkeeping department.

Edited by sjk2008

He also makes catching look difficult. Then there's the fact that he can't command his box. Finally, his decision making is dreadful which leads to more uncertainty at the back.

Cornell pulls off the occasional good looking save, but he can't judge a cross either. Come to think of it, he can't command his box either, and is also a soft :censored:er who doesn't like the aerial battle.

Other than that though, it's looking very positive in the goalkeeping department.

He finished last season very well in most of these areas. His confidence has certainly been hit since then as he has gone backwards!

i agree we need to be crossing more with higdon in there. he's slow, lazy, but has a 1 in 2 career return and last night when good supply came in he looked dangerous. flashed one wide and hit post first half and then scored twice in second. in the first half we barely got to the byline, philiskirk cant play right wing, he drifts in, never takes on the full back and behind him eckersley never overlaps. yeates cuts in too much but to be fair played well last night. its clear from the change when we went all out attack that the balance of the team from kick off needs working on and that they are restricted in the way they play going forward. thats dunn's job so for me he needs to take a fair amount of the blame for what is going on.

I think what's been noticeable to me this season, apart from the pretty putrid tactics, is how disorganised we've been at the back. In the few matches I've seen anyway. The goal's we're conceding are calamitous, to put it kindly. We're not being undone by total football or a Messi-like spell of genius. We're undoing things ourselves.

At home we're getting very easy to play against. Opposition teams know that our atmosphere turns vile after a remarkably quick amount of time. We were chatting to David Worrall on the train home from Chesterfield (He got on from Sheffield after playing at Sheff Utd). We all knew that Southend were going to turn us over, it was crushingly predictable.

Whilst the atmosphere is going to get moany and negative after a frustrating half we just need players in who are much stronger mentally. You could even forfeit certain skills for that mental strength. The 2002-03 team had the strongest will-to-win mentality I've seen in this generation but even they had 7-8 off days at home which eventually cost us promotion. My point being we'll always be pretty crap at home but nowhere near as crap as we are this season.