Scott Vernon

On the bench:

Midfielder

Matt O'Halloran

Midfielder

Carlos Roca

Forward

Mickael Antoine-Curier

I was at that game and can say, hand on heart, I've never heard of Rob Walker...

And, in answer to my own original question - yes, that was a far better side.

Had we already been in administration or were we about to go into it?

Rob Walker wasn't too popular with fans at the time as I remember and you wouldn't want Lord Kangana in today's team for sure.

Now that Prozac's listed the 99 team you'd happily take 8-9 of those over the current crop. Probably all 11 in all fairness. Shez and Dux in midfield? :censored:ing dream team.

It really is :censored: this season isn't it?

Yes it really that :censored:, It's the worst in my 27 yeas of watching us. I don't think we should get too nostalgic about that side it really was a poor team and was the symptom of poor leadership at the top of the club over a number of years sound familiar.

The difference really was in midfield atleast that team had the likes of Dux Shez and even the likes of Andy Holt and Rickers would chip in with goals. You don't need a 20 goal season striker to stay in this division you just need to atleast create a few chances and have a few players who will chip in with 5 -10 a season. Back that up by a relatively steady defence which we have had for most of this season and you should do enough to survive.

I am reading a book on Hibernian winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in over 100 years.

There are some photos in the middle , one of a Dundee Utd player missing a penalty against them .........

And to think there was a time when I thought a strike force of McCarthy & Barlow was rubbish .......would be like Greaves and Lineker compared to today's barn door missers.

2003/2004 team every day of the week.

Even the players who only made a handful of appearances had more character than this lot, Roca, Wes Wilkinson, Rodney Jack, O'Halloran, they were as :censored: as they come but you could cheer for them, they entertained.

Mentioning this current lot alongside the likes of Eyres, Pogs, Ernie, JJ, Betsy, Zola, Kilkenny, Vernon, Haining, 10 stone Croft is an insult to the latter, who regardless of how talented each one was, performed to their best and were vital to us staying up and they entertained!

Edited by PlayItLivo

Guest nonaenever

We had some epic performances that season; QPR at home (w 2-1)

Jeez - I remember that one like it was yesterday. The ground simply erupted when we scored the second - all the "older heads" in the Main Stand broke into spontaneous song. There had been a bit of needle with QPR anyway and everyone just went bonkers - I remember all their fans in the Rochdale just staring up at the Main Stand wondering how so relatively few people could make such a racket. Marvellous stuff.

Oh - and this team/squad is the worst I have watched since the 70s - no doubt. When you are talking of an "evergreen" Lee Croft being one of your best players; you realise how very poor we are.

• 3 weeks later...

Latics fan at work was talking about Matty O' Halloran after Moore left us in a mess. Seems to remember a story that the rest of the squad all chipped in to help keep at him at the club for another month.

Anyone here this claims it was mentioned on Sky.