Looks like the pro's and con's argument of Liddell are irrelevant for a while now.

March at the earliest if he needs surgery.

You'd think it may be an area where we are targeting cover/a first team player come January.

Liddels contract finishes at the end of the season, and I would guess he is one of the high earners, so maybe will free up some room on the wage bill?

No disrespect to liddell or gregan, on their day both fantastic players but we have started getting ourselves out of the position we were in in the league without them in the team, so not exactly a huge blow, but still a blow nevertheless.

Nevertheless, still hope he is fit asap small squad cost us big time last season

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Liddels contract finishes at the end of the season, and I would guess he is one of the high earners, so maybe will free up some room on the wage bill?

No disrespect to liddell or gregan, on their day both fantastic players but we have started getting ourselves out of the position we were in in the league without them in the team, so not exactly a huge blow, but still a blow nevertheless.

Nevertheless, still hope he is fit asap small squad cost us big time last season

Think you can say that about Liddell but Gregan would still be in my back four. I wouldn't be supprised if Liddell doesn't play again this season. Think he is on his last legs TBH.

I can see it now. Forgotten man Andy Liddell comes off the bench in extra time and scores the winning penalty at Wembley at the end of the Play-off Final, with what proves to be his last kick for the Club. Fans place him up there with Neil Redfearn in legendary status.

Many doubting fans honour their promises to show their arses on the Town Hall steps! :grin:

I can see it now. Forgotten man Andy Liddell comes off the bench in extra time and scores the winning penalty at Wembley at the end of the Play-off Final, with what proves to be his last kick for the Club. Fans place him up there with Neil Redfearn in legendary status.

Many doubting fans honour their promises to show their arses on the Town Hall steps! :grin:

Diego, I like Liddell. Just think this will be his last season with us. I hope you are right.

I have never understood why Andy liddel has often got grief from the fans particularly those wo say he doesn't put a challenge in. He's a winger for gawd sake! The best wingers in my time supporting latics Rick Holden, David Eyres and Neil Adams were any of them famed for putting in a challenge? maybe its the same people who were of the school that Paul Warne was the equivalent of white pele because he possesed that magical skill of running around alot.

The other night I went to see a match not involving Latics. Upfront for the away side was a player who never tracked back hardly ever put in a challenge all night and waited for the ball to come to him. Yet he occupied the back four on his own and was the best player on the pitch It was Dimitar Berbatov for Spurs v's City.

I have never understood why Andy liddel has often got grief from the fans particularly those wo say he doesn't put a challenge in. He's a winger for gawd sake! The best wingers in my time supporting latics Rick Holden, David Eyres and Neil Adams were any of them famed for putting in a challenge? maybe its the same people who were of the school that Paul Warne was the equivalent of white pele because he possesed that magical skill of running around alot.

The other night I went to see a match not involving Latics. Upfront for the away side was a player who never tracked back hardly ever put in a challenge all night and waited for the ball to come to him. Yet he occupied the back four on his own and was the best player on the pitch It was Dimitar Berbatov for Spurs v's City.

Eyres put tackles in though when there was a 50-50. Liddell nearly always ducks out of any challenge and that is what annoys people imo which makes it seem like he is not committed to the cause. You're right that wingers aren't meant to be remembered for their tackling ability, but it is very frustrating when a player just won't put a foot in. Liddell did really well for us last season and made so many goals but this season I don't think he has been worth a place although he did have a few redeeming performances just before his injury problems hit. I think we have better options available now, and Liddell will have to bide his time when he is fit and be content with cameo rolls which imo may suit him best anyway as he can't last the full 90 anymore.

Liddell keeps it very simple, but if it works then why not? His best runs with us have coincided with Chris Porter being fit, in form and not playing in Scotland. They very obviously had it worked out that whenever the ball was coming to Lids, Porter knew to expect that far post ball to be coming his way. Defences probably knew it too, but it's one thing knowing what's coming and another doing something about it. It's my feeling that Taylor's dip in form late last season and so far in this one might have affected Lids' game, he has a lot less space with Taylor less willing to beat his man and force the defence to commit men to him. As has been said, he is a model pro and I hope and expect him to return and play a role for us before the season is out.

Suppose it makes Shez's search for players in Jan even easier, if it wasnt already the number 1 priority is a creative right sided midfielder/forward....

Although never Lids' biggest fan *cough* I appreciate the value he would give in squad terms... we are now yet again very, very light in terms of bodies...

Allott, Taylor, KK, Macca.... and then Smalley (just) are our only available 1st team midfielders.... eeek!

Suppose it makes Shez's search for players in Jan even easier, if it wasnt already the number 1 priority is a creative right sided midfielder/forward....

Although never Lids' biggest fan *cough* I appreciate the value he would give in squad terms... we are now yet again very, very light in terms of bodies...

Allott, Taylor, KK, Macca.... and then Smalley (just) are our only available 1st team midfielders.... eeek!

i would imagine like has already been said he will be given until the end of the season,then the club always have an option of a 12 month extension.

if we get promoted one way or the other,i doubt he would feature in many games,and seeing as shez says he is one of his leaders,would hope the club offer him some form of coaching role to help out the young players coming through.

you cant knock his experience.

i would imagine like has already been said he will be given until the end of the season,then the club always have an option of a 12 month extension.

if we get promoted one way or the other,i doubt he would feature in many games,and seeing as shez says he is one of his leaders,would hope the club offer him some form of coaching role to help out the young players coming through.

you cant knock his experience.

I think thats what we will do at the end of this season providing that he does contribute between now and the end of the season we kept giving eyrsie 12 month contracts maybe that kept him on his toes the motivation to play for a new contract at the end of the season.

I don't think a right sided player would be a priority in jan I think the left side should be the main focus. On the right we have Liddell and while he doesn't offer width and isn't a natrual winger allot does a good job on the right side of midfield. Davies spends time out their, Taylor is essentially a right sided player who canplay on the left. Behind them we have Smalley who is still developing so 5 players can do a job for us in that position yet on the left we have only Taylor and Ryan Bertrand who is our only out and out left sided player and he maybe leaving in January.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I don't think a right sided player would be a priority in jan I think the left side should be the main focus. On the right we have Liddell and while he doesn't offer width and isn't a natrual winger allot does a good job on the right side of midfield. Davies spends time out their, Taylor is essentially a right sided player who canplay on the left. Behind them we have Smalley who is still developing so 5 players can do a job for us in that position yet on the left we have only Taylor and Ryan Bertrand who is our only out and out left sided player and he maybe leaving in January.

We essentially need bodies anywhere accross the middle of the park... in all positions... think the last place we will be looking is the defence, irrespective of what happens to bert....

You are right though, a left winger could work very well... especially with Mr Taylor showing he could be a natural full back... but the last thing that will happen is he plays on the right - irrespective of his rather effective cameo there on sat....

It is just a numbers game... with the possibility of KK bye bye, and Ricketts and JP in exile for being pants, we have to bring in numbers... I have to believe that Shez's statement of only one player coming in has to mean one player OVER the amount we are going to lose....

Uh oh... stable winning side lacking in numbers, heading into january... as has been said, we have seen this before.... the lidds injury situation just make things even worse..

We essentially need bodies anywhere accross the middle of the park... in all positions... think the last place we will be looking is the defence, irrespective of what happens to bert....

You are right though, a left winger could work very well... especially with Mr Taylor showing he could be a natural full back... but the last thing that will happen is he plays on the right - irrespective of his rather effective cameo there on sat....

It is just a numbers game... with the possibility of KK bye bye, and Ricketts and JP in exile for being pants, we have to bring in numbers... I have to believe that Shez's statement of only one player coming in has to mean one player OVER the amount we are going to lose....

Uh oh... stable winning side lacking in numbers, heading into january... as has been said, we have seen this before.... the lidds injury situation just make things even worse..

i cant honestly believe that after last seasons dramatic anti climax,tta's wont give some money for the team in january,yes we are still losing money,but now we have planning approval and they can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel,they have got to look at giving as much help as possible to push on and get out of this league.

players will move on naturally then and with all the freebies out there and the promise of new stadia we may be able to attract a better class of player.

but we defo need new blood in january.

i cant honestly believe that after last seasons dramatic anti climax,tta's wont give some money for the team in january,yes we are still losing money,but now we have planning approval and they can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel,they have got to look at giving as much help as possible to push on and get out of this league.

players will move on naturally then and with all the freebies out there and the promise of new stadia we may be able to attract a better class of player.

but we defo need new blood in january.

Didn't Sheridan gain approval to sign some fresh faces.. but chose not to?

Andy Liddell - Outstanding.

Who started this amazing run we are on? Whose ball was placed PERFECTLY on the head of mr craig davies?

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a Latics fan who believes Liddell doesn't possess such a cross in his armoury. The problem is getting into them areas to produce them crosses. Thankfully it was the awesome work by Hughes that led to their fullback going missing and Lids being completely free to get in that area of the pitch to be able to deliver that kind of ball. Sadly, that's only the 2nd time this season he's been there (the first time was after a new-found willingness to beat his man, which I applauded.) That's where the gripe is.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lids is a great player technically but I really don't think he'll have the legs to be a winger for much longer. When I've seen him this season he looks slow, but I think he'd be a very effective substitute towards the end of this season. But I really think he's going to be released in June.