If we beat Cheltenham

We will have the same numbers of league wins as we had in the 1st week in November last season. Would also be a 5th league win on the bounce including end of last season.

As crazy as it sounds i think this is more important than Leeds away. I would love to see us get into the habit of beating teams from the lower end of the table.

We will have the same numbers of league wins as we had in the 1st week in November last season. Would also be a 5th league win on the bounce including end of last season.

As crazy as it sounds i think this is more important than Leeds away. I would love to see us get into the habit of beating teams from the lower end of the table.

...and thats the crunch!!! We have some tough away mid-week fixtures at Cheltenham, Gas, Scunny all of which I do not expect to be challenging at the top .. results in games like these really make the difference in the final shake up.

After a great first week of the season it's like Latics to lose 1-0 Sat, a win and I will honestly will start to believe this will be our year.

Its imoportant that we give the same amount of respect to the Cheltenham frontline as we did to Leeds. Our strikers are allowed to score now and again and they are due. A positive result on Sat would ease the lets raise our game for the 'big boys' and lack consistency. I pray that this is not the case and I expect this is not the case ... Come on you blues

I think that the confidence in the team must be high at the moment so hopefully a good start on Saturday - both on and off the pitch.

Another 3 points would be a massive boost ahead of 2 away games. But if we get 5 points+ from the next 3 games I'll be very happy (following the win at home; draw away rule) and wouldn't be bothered where they came from. We would still be in a good position after 5 games.

Of course 5 games and 15 points would be fantastic - especially given 3 away games.

Dont know if people agree or not but personally i happen to think this is a massive game for us. Test to see whether we have learned from last season and games we must win and keep clean sheets. Also i think that playing away on a tuesday night is alot worse than playing away on a saturday would be interested to see the stats but it seems that home teams win alot more on night games especially when large distances are involved.

We might even be top of the league :wink:

thats the great thing about a good start to the season, in the team talk on saturday shez can point out to the players 'remember lads, a win here today puts us/keeps us top of the league!'. When you can say that it gives the players that extra incentive to win, it gives them something to look at, unlike when we start badly and the top seems way off, even if its just 6 points or so...

...i may be stating the obvious but hey, we're all in a good mood so who cares :grin:

:dynamite:

in the team talk on saturday shez can point out to the players 'remember lads, a win here today puts us/keeps us top of the league!'. When you can say that it gives the players that extra incentive to win, it gives them something to look at

Hmmm. I don't agree with that, but it will be the first test of how far we've come from last season. To elaborate, twice last year we had a shot of getting into the playoffs towards the end of the season...at Luton and at Swindon. Both times we turned in gutless performances and got tonked 3-0 by average to poor teams.

From past experience with Shez's teams...when they've had the opportunity to kick on, they've bottled it. Shez has said for the last couple of summers he's going to add character to the team...they've shown resolve so far at Dale and against Millwall, so let's see if they're able to show it on Saturday.

Hmmm. I don't agree with that, but it will be the first test of how far we've come from last season. To elaborate, twice last year we had a shot of getting into the playoffs towards the end of the season...at Luton and at Swindon. Both times we turned in gutless performances and got tonked 3-0 by average to poor teams.

From past experience with Shez's teams...when they've had the opportunity to kick on, they've bottled it. Shez has said for the last couple of summers he's going to add character to the team...they've shown resolve so far at Dale and against Millwall, so let's see if they're able to show it on Saturday.

hopefully if the team plays to its strenghts,with the new players now in and working well,there isnt any reason why we cant win 90% of our home games this season.

there will always be one or two teams come here and beat us fair n square.

but if the fans see the better product and performance on the pitch they will raise the volume which will in turn help lift the players.....these games after a so called big game are vital we get the 3 points,and instill the winning mentality and confidence.

From the Advertiser:

Victory at Elland Road has set a benchmark ahead of Saturday’s home game against Cheltenham Town. Wary that some supporters may be turning up, expecting champagne football and three easy points, (Tommy) Wright maintains the Leeds result now counts for nothing.

He said: "I’d tell people that it’s a good start but that it’s a long season. OK, we’ve beaten the favourites on their own patch but Cheltenham will be a different game. Everyone will be expecting us to turn up and win, but we have to go out there, relax and get the job done."

From the Advertiser:

Victory at Elland Road has set a benchmark ahead of Saturday’s home game against Cheltenham Town. Wary that some supporters may be turning up, expecting champagne football and three easy points, (Tommy) Wright maintains the Leeds result now counts for nothing.

He said: "I’d tell people that it’s a good start but that it’s a long season. OK, we’ve beaten the favourites on their own patch but Cheltenham will be a different game. Everyone will be expecting us to turn up and win, but we have to go out there, relax and get the job done."

Saturdays game will be a good test of how much stronger we are.

Beating Leeds was the equivalent of last season so on that basis we are no better off points wise.

Our failing has always been beating teams like Cheltenham.

In the last 4 seasons we have lost very few points against the top 6 - but the bottom 6 have constantly taken more points off us than we have gained from them.Something that needs to be corrected if we are serious about promotion.

3-0 i reckon with hughsey scoring his first 2 of the season.