5 or 10 game ticket

Lookers_Carl

5 or 10 game ticket  

80 members have voted

1. 1. For people who do not have a season ticket but attend games, if any of the below options were made available, would you buy one?

• A 10 game ticket priced at £155 (£15.50 a game)
    • A 5 game ticket priced at at £80 (£16 a game)
    • Neither, prefer to pay on the day.

This has been discussed numerous times on here, so lets stick it to the test.

Simple question

For people who do not have a season ticket but attend games, if any of the below options were made available, would you buy one?

A 10 game ticket priced at £155 (£15.50 a game)

A 5 game ticket priced at at £80 (£16 a game)

Neither, prefer to pay on day.

How it would work

You buy a ticket for 5 or 10 games, which gives you five/ten vouchers. These tickets are NOT a ticket for the next five/ten consecutive home games after purchase, you can use for ANY game at Boundary Park of your choosing. For most games you simply present your ticket at the turnstile and sit in an unreserved seat. For all ticket games you exchange a voucher at the ticket office for a ticket with an allocated seat.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great for me. It tends to be border line for me each year for the amount of games I can get to buying a season ticket or not. I normally dont get one (last season it prob would have been worth while getting a ST). This year I prob wont get to any games in late Aug and most of Sep (and then odd games during the season) so it prob isnt worth me getting a ST this season but a 10 game one would be ideal.

Is This An Option At Other Clubs, Do You Know?

Stockport offered a 'Super10' for the last two seasons ... probably one of a handful of reasons their crowds increased.

Could somebody amend the poll to include a "No, I'm getting a season ticket which is even better value"?

Stockport offered a 'Super10' for the last two seasons ... probably one of a handful of reasons their crowds increased.

Could somebody amend the poll to include a "No, I'm getting a season ticket which is even better value"?

I considered putting something like that, but decided to just direct the question at non season ticket holders who attend games

Latic Fanatic - Are You On OWTB Of Your Phone Or Something? Is That Why Your Posts Are Typed Like This?

I wouldnt buy either, but that just because im not working, but i think the 10 game idea is better than the 5 game one.

I would also (if its possible) try and get the run of 10 games against the 'lesser' sides, so they come back and pay on the day against the 'big boys' - but thats just me :grin:

Just to point out the 10 game ticket outlined above does not have to be used for 10 consecutive games, the whole idea is they can be used to gain entry to any game played at boundary park throughout the season, league or cup.

Eg if one was bought at the beginning of the season, a ten game ticket is not merely a ticket for the first 10 home games. It can be used for ANY ten home games of the occupiers choosing, throughout the season.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I think this is a superb idea.

Due to working commitments, a very young family and distance away from Oldham, a season ticket is not a viable option for me. However, I aim to attend matches where possible and at moment pay at the gate. As I pay per match, I am sometimes swayed from not attending if something happens at short notice. Buying a five or ten game ticket will secure a financial commitment from me that means that the club benefits even if I can't attend the ten matches in that season.

Has the club commented on this?

Concern is that ST holders may choose this lower priced option but ST holders are those who have the time, live local or don't have outside commitments that prevents them from attending all games. Therefore they'd buy the ST regardless.

I'd buy now if this was offered.

So, instead of a season ticket I could buy a 10 game ticket, see how it goes and then buy another to cover 20 games for the price of a ST? Or for £19 less if you're including the chaddy in this scheme. Or not buy another ticket if things are not going well? I suspect that a lot of ST holders miss at least 2 or 3 games a season, so the missing 3 games would not be a big deal.

Wouldn't this idea therefore have a detrimental effect on ST sales?

Edited by real

Good idea for the league games but i cant see it working for the cup games aswell.

If we drew a big side at home in the 3rd round or even made the 4th round of the FA cup and we had sold a couple of thousand of the 10 game tickets, the club would lose thousands

Just to point out the 10 game ticket outlined above does not have to be used for 10 consecutive games, the whole idea is they can be used to gain entry to any game played at boundary park throughout the season, league or cup.

Eg if one was bought at the beginning of the season, a ten game ticket is not merely a ticket for the first 10 home games. It can be used for ANY ten home games of the occupiers choosing, throughout the season.

Should not include Cup games, they're not even included in STs!

It's a nice idea for the fans but don't think it would make much difference. Most who go to five or ten would go to five or ten anyway, it's great for them as it saves money but I'm not at all convinced it would entice people to more games...and therefore would lose the club money.

This scheme keeps getting bandied about but I think it would result in the club attracting the same amount of punters but (obviously) paying a slightly lower price.

It may suit some fans but it doesn't suit the club.

It's a fine line, but I think it would grow crowds profitably, as it removes the "I can't be bothered this week" approach to Latics.

The key here is finding a way to stop people drifting away - keep renewing their interest. Encourage them to attend that additional midweek game when they wouldn't have done otherwise.

The club certainly missed a trick with a 4 match ticket for £70 the week Royle was appointed!

I think the only way to make this cost effective for the club and not to undermine the benefit of a full season ticket, the 5/10 games would have to exclude the more attractive matches.

Off the top of my head this would include Huddersfield, Leeds, Norwich and Tranmere.

If it's done that way I think you're on to a winner.

I think the only way to make this cost effective for the club and not to undermine the benefit of a full season ticket, the 5/10 games would have to exclude the more attractive matches.

Off the top of my head this would include Huddersfield, Leeds, Norwich and Tranmere.

agreed, just hope TTA do aswell

I think if that was the case less people will buy them

Still think it is workable for any home game at boundary park, for all ticket games simply exchange your voucher for a ticket with an allocated seat

I suppose you could exclude any cup game later than FA Cup round two, or exclude cup games altogether, but you couldnt really exclude league games.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Sorry all, but I cannot agree with this at all. The principle is fine, but the practicalities are that it just would not work for the club, for various and probably many reasons.

Examples are financial, organisational, and upsetting full 23 match season ticket holders.

Financial: More season ticket holders would take up the option therefore reducing income. Those swapping a full season ticket for a 10 match book may not go to some or all of the other 13 matches. Or are you saying that the 10 match tickets should be dearer pro rata than a 23 match season ticket?

Organisational: How do you decide which matches the 10 match tickets apply for? How do you guarantee that a 10 match ticket holder will get into a particular match, say for example the Leeds game or another game that becomes all ticket or may sell out? What if we have a larger crowd than expected and a 10 match ticket holder turns up 5 minutes before kick off and can't get in? oh and they have travelled 100/200 miles. What if we have an all ticket game and we sell out? Will the 10 match ticket holder be peed off that he/she has paid money up front and not been able to get into 1 of the 10 matches that they had chosen? On an all ticket game, how do the club decide how many tickets are available for sale? If say 500 take out the 10 match tickets, then do they have to not sell 500 tickets just in case all 500 happen to turn up for that particular match?

Existing 23 match season ticket holders: If I was a full season ST holder would I be peeved that someone comes to say only 10 games and gets the same rate as me who has shelled out for a full season up front? Would I also be peed that someone could just then choose the 10 most attractive games?

These are just easy examples off the top of my head. I'm afraid it is unworkable. It would cause more grief than any benefit it may bring to a few.

There are other things that can be done for example in the RM season the club offered the last 5 home games in a block booking for a discount. There was a fair take up of this offer and with a successful team that could be tried again, Give a discount, but not the same level as say a season ticket. You could also offer a 1/2 season ticket for 1) the first half of the season or 2) the second half of the season. For the second half of the season, they could re-instate a discount to give an incentive, coming upto Christmas. e'g a ST now is say £328 in the Main Stand and Chaddy End with discount and £399 after the discount period. So they could offer a 1/2 season ticket (11/12 games) for half price with a discount period of say 1 month upto the 20th December. To me that would be more practical and more workable for the club and would not affect finances in a negative way and would not upset full 23 game ST holders. You could also offer a block ticket for 5 particular games maybe even 5 less attractive matches and not necessarily consecutive. These are things that may be worth a try and worthy of consideration.

Cheers,

Harry

Harry is of course right imho, having expanded on my post. People often base the pricing on the ST discount rate, but forget the post-discount rate when looking at figures. In reality the price gaps from discounted ST (£13.40)- non discount ST (£16.50)- pre-purchase(£18) - match day purchase (£20) means that to price above non-discount ST and maintain a worthwhile saving over pre-purchase means it's a non-starter.

However a 5 game ticket for 5 deisgnated games that would otherwise be a poor draw might be do-able? Got to save at least £1 over pre-purchase, maybe could be done at £16? So £80 a ticket

2 games before Xmas (those shopping (pah) saturdays, plus some mid-weeks?

Financial: More season ticket holders would take up the option therefore reducing income.
You don't offer the 10 match tickets until the season is 3 or 4 games old.

Or are you saying that the 10 match tickets should be dearer pro rata than a 23 match season ticket?
The 10 match ticket should be more expensive.

Organisational: How do you decide which matches the 10 match tickets apply for? How do you guarantee that a 10 match ticket holder will get into a particular match, say for example the Leeds game or another game that becomes all ticket or may sell out?
You could exclude certain "A" fixtures or, preferably, have a narrow time window that prioritises tickets for holders of the 10 match ticket. Terms and conditions can say "you are not guaranteed a seat for every game if you don't collect a reserved ticket in the timeframe provided".

What if we have a larger crowd than expected and a 10 match ticket holder turns up 5 minutes before kick off and can't get in? oh and they have travelled 100/200 miles.
An unlikely scenario, but one that could be covered by the exchange option for big games. If you turn up 5 minutes before kick off and the place is full, tough - but you can still use your ticket for the number of remaining games.

What if we have an all ticket game and we sell out? Will the 10 match ticket holder be peed off that he/she has paid money up front and not been able to get into 1 of the 10 matches that they had chosen? On an all ticket game, how do the club decide how many tickets are available for sale? If say 500 take out the 10 match tickets, then do they have to not sell 500 tickets just in case all 500 happen to turn up for that particular match?
Narrow time frame to guarantee a ticket.

Existing 23 match season ticket holders: If I was a full season ST holder would I be peeved that someone comes to say only 10 games and gets the same rate as me who has shelled out for a full season up front? Would I also be peed that someone could just then choose the 10 most attractive games?
Season ticket holders would get a cheaper per game rate, discount vouchers for the club shop and first priority for any big cup match. A clear pricing differential.

Harry, your views are always worth reading. But open your mind a little on this one. The timing of availability (i.e. NOT when the club is selling season tickets) and sensible management of it could easily make this an income generator, not a pain in the arse for the ticket office.

You don't offer the 10 match tickets until the season is 3 or 4 games old.

The 10 match ticket should be more expensive.

You could exclude certain "A" fixtures or, preferably, have a narrow time window that prioritises tickets for holders of the 10 match ticket. Terms and conditions can say "you are not guaranteed a seat for every game if you don't collect a reserved ticket in the timeframe provided".

An unlikely scenario, but one that could be covered by the exchange option for big games. If you turn up 5 minutes before kick off and the place is full, tough - but you can still use your ticket for the number of remaining games.

Narrow time frame to guarantee a ticket.

Season ticket holders would get a cheaper per game rate, discount vouchers for the club shop and first priority for any big cup match. A clear pricing differential.

Harry, your views are always worth reading. But open your mind a little on this one. The timing of availability (i.e. NOT when the club is selling season tickets) and sensible management of it could easily make this an income generator, not a pain in the arse for the ticket office.

Fair points as usual o4u.

Whilst I take your points, my mind is always open to debate and ideas. However, you only have to look at celebration Sunday to see how easily, "good ideas" can easily come unstuck. Ideas like those being suggested have to be looked at from a devils advocate point of view to see where the potential pitfalls are. And they are there.

"a pain in the arse for the ticket office" is probably not a consideration. Many ideas have been suggested and tried previously and with the ticketing software that the club now has in place, it is easier to implement ideas than ever before.

However, the club cannot implement schemes that cause resentment, anger and frustration and that is the basis why I believe the scheme proposed would not work.

I also don't think you could exclude cetain "A" fixtures, where would the incentive be? There are so many questions and not enough answers imho.

Cheers,

Harry

Fair points as usual o4u.

Whilst I take your points, my mind is always open to debate and ideas. However, you only have to look at celebration Sunday to see how easily, "good ideas" can easily come unstuck. Ideas like those being suggested have to be looked at from a devils advocate point of view to see where the potential pitfalls are. And they are there.

"a pain in the arse for the ticket office" is probably not a consideration. Many ideas have been suggested and tried previously and with the ticketing software that the club now has in place, it is easier to implement ideas than ever before.

However, the club cannot implement schemes that cause resentment, anger and frustration and that is the basis why I believe the scheme proposed would not work.

I also don't think you could exclude cetain "A" fixtures, where would the incentive be? There are so many questions and not enough answers imho.

Cheers,

Harry

Other clubs of similar size have offered this sort of scheme, with all the problems you have mentioned - so if it is workable for them, with the right planning it could be workable for us. I mean we didn't sell out once last season and given the geography of the division next season it is highly unlikely we will do so against anyone next year despite the reduced capacity. IMO it is workable and I'm sure if AH devoted his vast expertise to this it could be implemented.

Perhaps once the fixtures are out, choose a window of 15-18 games to base the 10 games on. If you wanted to ensure a none logistical nightmare you could say 'any 10 games - excluding Leeds, Huddersfield, Stockport and Tranmere' or to take it further a book could be issued for specific games - the tickets are printed to order for individual games anyway so give prospective ticket holders a choice, tell 'em their seat is reserved and the club know they have to account for that number alongside ST holders - and potential pay on day customers. A 10 game ticket will work, it needs to be given a chance and let's face it it's a better idea than anything the club have come up with.