Breaking News

Scum accept £80m offer! That'll go some way to paying off some of the Glazers' interest payments.

It's been about for a little while that there was a clause in his contract at that amount (along with the contract with Real that they would have to pay him £25M if they didn't sign him by the end of this month).

In so many ways, I couldn't really care less nowadays.

The Guardian pointed out:

"This is a wide forward who scores goals at the rate of a centre forward: 23 in 2006-07, 42 in 2007-08 and 26 last season, even though he was clearly below his best"

"In his current squad, with only Park Ji-sung, Nani and Zoran Tosic to choose from, he will struggle to find a wide player who scores five a season."

"Goals are the defining currency of the sport."

I think the problem for United is their losing their biggest and often only threat on goal and also the player who creates (directly and indirectly) most of their goals too. I'm not saying United will finish 6th next season or anything stupid like that. Just that for United he will be hard to replace, even with 4 signings - afterall you can only play one of them at a time - that tells you how valuable he is.

The Guardian pointed out:

"This is a wide forward who scores goals at the rate of a centre forward: 23 in 2006-07, 42 in 2007-08 and 26 last season, even though he was clearly below his best"

"In his current squad, with only Park Ji-sung, Nani and Zoran Tosic to choose from, he will struggle to find a wide player who scores five a season."

"Goals are the defining currency of the sport."

I think the problem for United is their losing their biggest and often only threat on goal and also the player who creates (directly and indirectly) most of their goals too. I'm not saying United will finish 6th next season or anything stupid like that. Just that for United he will be hard to replace, even with 4 signings - afterall you can only play one of them at a time - that tells you how valuable he is.

So a wide player who scores 11 in a season is worth a few bob too........

David Villa also reported to be signing on Monday. £40 million as well as an exchange and another purchase.

Xabi Alonso, Gael Clichy, Patrice Evra & Ribery are all supposed to be touted in the coming weeks!

I love Perez thinking he will sell 30 million shirts to cover the cost of the transfers. When you consider Beckham only sold 1.1 million shirts the year he signed for Real then you have to wonder what he has based it on!

David Villa also reported to be signing on Monday. £40 million as well as an exchange and another purchase.

Xabi Alonso, Gael Clichy, Patrice Evra & Ribery are all supposed to be touted in the coming weeks!

Bah! I laugh in the face of your suggestion of actually signing DEFENDERS at Real Madrid. :lol:

Why are defenders needed - they are WEAK and do not score goals... Real are determined to go back to the era of Zidane and Ronaldo... sign the best players in the world up front, and end up playing that fella that got released from Leeds for being abysmal at the back.... that will win things :)

Its all soding pointless.. all the toys will be out of the pram within 6 months and Barca will be laughing themselves to the Championship once more. Dont get me wrong - I cant wait to see them next season.... however unless they pull off the coup of the century and sign Messi, Xabi, and Iniesta - well, they are still going to be second best...

I have to disagree, Pellegrini is a good coach, OK one of many to be tested!

But they are trying to get rid of Heinze as he is a waste, Cannavaro is coming to the end of an amazing career, and they have a few decent defenders coming through.

I know they want to go back to the day ofthe galacticos, but (trust me this made me laugh) they were speaking to the guy in spain on Sky Sports (Graham summatorother) and he made a comment about how Real are signing "Hard Working " Players!

Kaka yes, Villa yes, Clichy yes, Ronaldo erm not on your life!

They're going back to the days of the Zidane's and Pavons. Well that was how they use to describe it, but they dont really have any decent players coming through or not to the same level that Barca produce. The only top player they have produced since the days of Hierro is Casillas. Im not including Raul as he came up through the Atletico system untill they scrapped it.

It will be intersting to see how they work together but really they should buy at least a new back 4 to help Casillas who was also poor last season and is not even a shadow of the player he use to be. Fortunatly for Barca Perez came back and has his veiws that you dont need a defence to win trophys. I just hope Guardiola has a bit more about him than Rjikaard had about him when it comes to freshening things up after a superb season, and i think he will.

I don't think the problem with the Galacticos policy is in the defendrs, it's that if you have 5 players who don't have any responsibility to do anything other than attack, the defence are in it the second you lose the ball. The biggest mistake they ever made was selling Makelele (who reputedly would have stayed if they were willing to pay him £20k a week!!!) to fit Beckham in. Makelele did the work of half a team for them, yet it seems the one outfield position they aren't filling is someone to get the ball for them. I think Alonso if a fantastic player but he isn't the man to screen the back 4 on his own.

Heres hoping Lass can take that role, I agree with the Youth Nav, they had a lot of promising fringe players, as you say Pavon, Portillo, Santi Solari (who was one of my favourite players!) and Cambiasso!

These players went elsewhere and did ok, problem being they had sat on the bench at Real and gone nowhere, they need to at least buy 3 decent defenders, i still think Pepe will come good!

ALso Nav, what do you think about Valdes going to Manure?

Heres hoping Lass can take that role, I agree with the Youth Nav, they had a lot of promising fringe players, as you say Pavon, Portillo, Santi Solari (who was one of my favourite players!) and Cambiasso!

These players went elsewhere and did ok, problem being they had sat on the bench at Real and gone nowhere, they need to at least buy 3 decent defenders, i still think Pepe will come good!

ALso Nav, what do you think about Valdes going to Manure?

Did you forget Sergio Ramos Mr B?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a Formula 1 pit crew made up from Ferrari, Williams, Mclaren etc. Who is going to be happy brewing up?

Not an anti Madrid thing, I prefer them to Barca....

Edited by footy68