latics v brentford

Thought we were poor first half and they were poorer. They were there for the taking but we didn't seem to want to turn the screw. Feeney (who was ok today) should have scored when he headed over.

Then Taylor played the perfect ball through to Tonk, who's curved run was well timed, and he went clean through, scraping the ball past the keeper's legs.

Second half I thought we were a little bit better, but it took the introduction of Morais to liven the game up and he created a chance for Taylor with a brilliant cross but again our man got under the header.

Morais bagged the second latching on to good work from Tonk and a great strike. We looked comfortable for a short period and then from nowhere, they came right back at us and we struggled to keep the ball.

Trotman went off to be replaced by Tarlowski (or whatever he's called) and while the sub wasn't responsible for our demise, and put in a solid enough personal display, we suddenly looked exposed at the back. A series of corsses and their lad found space, turned superbly and finished nicely.

It's Exeter all over again? 10 minutes left, then 4 minutes stoppage time that felt like six. They had corners and the odd loose ball bouncing around our penalty area but we held out.

I wouldn't say anybody had a bad game, but nobody had a particularly special game today. Tonk or Trotman would probably be my man of the match. Black looked reasonably assured at left back.

Two concerns:

We don't win enough headers. That applies to when we're attacking (Stephens landed loads in the danger area today but our lads were nowhere near them) and defensively we're still shaky when it comes in from wide, less so when defending hoofball.

The other worry is our ability to move from total control to none whatsoever. Rochdale away, Exeter at home and today are three examples that spring to life. I appreciate that there's another side on the pitch that wants to do well, but I've never seen a side where it can move from one extreme to another so suddenly and so completely.

Job done. 3 points at home and it was a deserved win without beng a sexy one.

Edited by opinions4u

good win today. played well enough, made chances, scored two good goals, defended well. a pretty standard latics win really with the tense ending.

thought morais changed the game, touks, taylor, stephens, furman all played well. feeney played the best ive seen him IMO and was almost used as a target man, shame he got injured.

brentford were pretty crap though, hoofed it all the time, quite dirty and were lucky to get a goal, good strike though.

Tounkara missed a sitter and takes far too much time before shooting, it happened a number of occasions where he could have got his shot of straight away but didn't and let the defender come and tackle him. That said he took his goal well and really put it on them in the second half. Dickov needs to get him in shooting practice though because Tounkara gets the chances and could be putting more away.

Thought we were poor first half and they were poorer. They were there for the taking but we didn't seem to want to turn the screw. Feeney (who was ok today) should have scored when he headed over.

Then Taylor played the perfect ball through to Tonk, who's curved run was well timed, and he went clean through, scraping the ball past the keeper's legs.

Second half I thought we were a little bit better, but it took the introduction of Morais to liven the game up and he created a chance for Taylor with a brilliant cross but again our man got under the header.

Morais bagged the second latching on to good work from Tonk and a great strike. We looked comfortable for a short period and then from nowhere, they came right back at us and we struggled to keep the ball.

Trotman went off to be replaced by Tarlowski (or whatever he's called) and while the sub wasn't responsible for our demise, and put in a solid enough personal display, we suddenly looked exposed at the back. A series of corsses and their lad found space, turned superbly and finished nicely.

It's Exeter all over again? 10 minutes left, then 4 minutes stoppage time that felt like six. They had corners and the odd loose ball bouncing around our penalty area but we held out.

I wouldn't say anybody had a bad game, but nobody had a particularly special game today. Tonk or Trotman would probably be my man of the match. Black looked reasonably assured at left back.

Two concerns:

We don't win enough headers. That applies to when we're attacking (Stephens landed loads in the danger area today but our lads were nowhere near them) and defensively we're still shaky when it comes in from wide, less so when defending hoofball.

The other worry is our ability to move from total control to none whatsoever. Rochdale away, Exeter at home and today are three examples that spring to life. I appreciate that there's another side on the pitch that wants to do well, but I've never seen a side where it can move from one extreme to another so suddenly and so completely.

I'd agree with all that. Morais looked very sharp when he came on, and gave us in the paddock entertainment with some silky skillz. His goal was superbly well taken - went past his man with ease and plased a shot low to the keepers near post.

Feeney looked great for the hour or so he played, before an awful challenge where their thuggish no. 32 took ball and man ended his input. Turned out to be a belessing in disguise as this allowed Morais to shine..

A great win against a poor, one-dimensional side. For a change we seem to be putting these sort of sides to the sword which has been an achilles heel for us ever since being in this division.

I'd agree with all that. Morais looked very sharp when he came on, and gave us in the paddock entertainment with some silky skillz. His goal was superbly well taken - went past his man with ease and plased a shot low to the keepers near post.

Feeney looked great for the hour or so he played, before an awful challenge where their thuggish no. 32 took ball and man ended his input. Turned out to be a belessing in disguise as this allowed Morais to shine..

A great win against a poor, one-dimensional side. For a change we seem to be putting these sort of sides to the sword which has been an achilles heel for us ever since being in this division.

how is he a footballer? always put his foot through it, could control the ball and missed tackles all day. can we play him every week?

Two concerns:

taylor may have played a good through ball but it looks like feeneys contibution overlooked...fantastic holding up of the ball shielding it and holding it until taylor was in position to play to tonks,who took it well..

second goal total class....needed livening up like moraise did...other than that i thought it was a pretty boring game...we are far too slow off the mark regards keeper getting ball out...lost count of the number of times taylor peeled away in acres of space,free run on goal only for the keeper to kick it opposite way...he has a great throw on him so why not use it...also too slow from throw ins,says it all that lee had to run 30 yards to take the ball because everybody else were like statues...

great 3 points and keeps us in the hunt for playoffs,just prefer us to really go for it at home when the opposition is as poor as they were today.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I know, but it would have been great to see morais have a go at their centre backs from the off. They were pretty poor. Complete thugs who seemed scared of the ball and happier to hack away at anything in a blue shirt. If we'd have been on our game a little more, it would have been a far heavier defeat for them.

A welcome 3pts, not a vintage performance but more than enough against a very poor looking brentford side ( up until their final flurry they were woeful )

Taylor seems to be getting back to somewhere near his best ( that run along the deadball line in the first half was top drawer ) I still think we need a goalscorer though because we should have been out of sight long before their goal.

Anyway a win again......Onwards and upwards.