Home games vs Away games

Think we need to try and recreate the atmosphere we seem to be able to create away from home @ BP - too much negativity at BP for me - we need something to cheer everyone up and this just may bounce back on the team and get them more relaxed - how about a shed load of inflatables or more fancy dress themes - anything to cheer us the frikk up - and let's try and drown out (or simply drown) the moaning factions! COME ON, LET'S ALL HAVE A DISCO!

I just wish they wouldn't give the whole of the Roccy Rd end to Huddersfield. I know we will probably struggle to sell all our tickets to home fans but if the club made this space available from the start, perhaps people would be encouraged to go there. Having home fans there would certainly add to the atmosphere. I also think a full stand of away support gives the oppo a distinct lift. I hated it when Blackpool had it in the play-offs.....

I admit that I don't sing at home games, but I do away.

Reasons :

1. Away, I start drinking at about 9am! Home I spend 2hours in traffic trying to get to BP.

2. Away I sit with mates, at home I sit with my dad.

3. Away most people sing, but at home I sit in the George Hill which is like a morgue.

4. Away I can have a pint at half time, at home I can have a warm coke or a cold pie.

5. Just for the the record! I never boo or complain about players in the way many do!

There not all the best reasons and I'm sure I'll get criticised for them - but that's the truth of the matter.

Reasons :

1. Away, I start drinking at about 9am! Home I spend 2hours in traffic trying to get to BP.

3. Away most people sing, but at home I sit in the George Hill which is like a morgue.

4. Away I can have a pint at half time, at home I can have a warm coke or a cold pie.

5. Just for the the record! I never boo or complain about players in the way many do!

There not all the best reasons and I'm sure I'll get criticised for them - but that's the truth of the matter.

at away games the fans are in a more concentrated area of the ground,all together at one end,there is a seige mentallity and you tend to feel less inhibited,plus usually you are right next to the home support so have the crack with them.

at home people are spread around 3 sides of the ground,and you normally get some numpty sat next to you as hes been there since it was a farmers field,pays his money and is entitled to sit in peace and quiet to watch a game of football.

if you could concentrate all the singers together at bp then you would get some atmoshphere.

maybe once the new stadium is finished and people get there heads together you could actually plan for all singers together,as there will be an unrestricted view of the game.then people who want the main stand can have it and people who want the family stand can have theres.

at the end of the day everybody moans about it,but wont change were they sit to improve it,untill that happens you will just have this vicious circle

at the end of the day everybody moans about it,but wont change were they sit to improve it,untill that happens you will just have this vicious circle

Yep!

I hate sitting in the Chaddy. I just don't like the view one bit.

I don't like sitting behind the goal at all really, but make do if needs be. If the 'singing section' was on the side of the ground I'd happily sit in it ( once it's got a cover on it :wink: )

Yep!

I hate sitting in the Chaddy. I just don't like the view one bit.

I don't like sitting behind the goal at all really, but make do if needs be. If the 'singing section' was on the side of the ground I'd happily sit in it ( once it's got a cover on it :wink: )

thats right,i have always sat in the chaddy,but the view is horrible,but i prefer it over the main stand as its full of moaning coffin dodgers,and i dont like the smell of embalming fluid with my bovril!!

it has been mentioned before,and i think in all honesty it is something that maybe the powers that be on owtb,get together with the club,and come up with an idea for the redeveloped stadium,and introduce a section purely for singers and atmoshphere makers.take on board the clubs view,the players view and the fans view,roll it all into one and get a great atmosphere going for home games......call it the owtb section if you like.all got one aim and desire,to back the players on the pitch.

its cause its a s**t hole i dont like saying it but it is!!!

and people get on the players backs more at bp its as simple as that

You obviously have travelled around the lower leagues watching Latics then ............................................ way off the mark

You obviously have travelled around the lower leagues watching Latics then ............................................ way off the mark

Exactly!

Also, Goodison and Elland Road where :censored: holes! Would prefer going Boundary Park!! Better toliets, better catering!

it has been mentioned before,and i think in all honesty it is something that maybe the powers that be on owtb,get together with the club,and come up with an idea for the redeveloped stadium,and introduce a section purely for singers and atmoshphere makers.take on board the clubs view,the players view and the fans view,roll it all into one and get a great atmosphere going for home games......call it the owtb section if you like.all got one aim and desire,to back the players on the pitch.

I think that's a great idea! :idea:

Guest sheridans_world

I wouldnt, for one of your reasons above. I sit with my dad at home matches, always have done and always will do and he wont move into any singing section.

There are a group of 7 or 8 of us that have sat in the same seats for the last 8 seasons or so, we all know each other and all get behind the team but none of us will move to a singing section...

Now away games a different, i really enjoy away games, all the singers are together (by choice or not!) and alot of people have really got to know other people through this message board which means rather than people going down in 4's and 5's, you could easily have 20 or 30 people that either know each other by name or by sight. All having a damn good time!

I think we're being harsh on the home atmosphere, if we're honest, when youre sat in the Chaddy End at times the atmosphere can be really good, but we all know we cant hear it at the other end of the ground, simple as.... Really is hard to make ourselves heard from the Chaddy. We make more noise at BP than Ive heard from MANY of the home fans from many other grounds.

I don't think the Lookers singers / Chaddy singers will ever sit together again.

Many guys who sing (especailly away from home ) have gradually moved into the rocky side of the Lockers away from the Chaddy. I did this year and best thing I have ever done ....... even though I get soaked at lot.

Personally after the trouble / anti-Ricketts songs coming from certain sections of the Chaddy ..... wouldn't touch that stand with a barge poll at the moment.

Reasons :

Think this is the story for so many of us - I would give the exact same reasons for why home games for me, are a bit of a let down... (However change 2 hours in traffic to 3, Dad to Mum, and george hill to George hill padock :wink: ) I also really like the people around where I sit, and have sat with them for years.... but they dont like a sing song... so it is very hard to get things going...

I think we underestimate the role of booze in any atmos.... a couple of pints before the game in the stand and at half time would do wonders for peoples voices...

... and I would also never sit in the chaddy... for a start, i cant sit in there... my legs are too bloomin long... shambles of a stand and cat wait for it to be replaced! I would definitely love to sit in a home "end" - i think it add so much more to an atmosphere when you get the most passionate fans behind each goal... I hope they really take this into consideration when the new chaddy is built... booze, great sight lines.. and good leg room!

Reasons :

1. Away, I start drinking at about 9am! Home I spend 2hours in traffic trying to get to BP. - do same at home

2. Away I sit with mates, at home I sit with my dad. - buy him some earmuffs

3. Away most people sing, but at home I sit in the George Hill which is like a morgue. - sit in chaddy

4. Away I can have a pint at half time, at home I can have a warm coke or a cold pie. - bring a flask of 'special' coffee

5. Just for the the record! I never boo or complain about players in the way many do! - good, glad 2 hear it!

Lots of reasons why atmos aint as good but really think we need to be showing up at BP smiling a bit more - bit too much doom n gloom - maybe performance related, but not all - anyone got any inflatables? What about the Huddersfield shoe song - that would create a giggle or two - come on enuff about why things are not as positive, more suggestions about how to create a positive atmos!

at home people are spread around 3 sides of the ground,and you normally get some numpty sat next to you as hes been there since it was a farmers field,pays his money and is entitled to sit in peace and quiet to watch a game of football.

I had a plank like that away on Saturday :mad:

The reduction in atmosphere at home games (and some away games, to be honest) is something that has really got me down in recent times. I don't go to as many matches as I used to, and most of the matches I do go to are away from home. If I'm going to BP now I don't particularly look forward to it, as a good atmosphere is integral to my enjoyment of a match.

I must admit, in the last few weeks I'm starting to feel a lot more positive. Through reading OWTB it is clear that I'm not in as small a minority as I thought I was. Certainly when the new ground opens I love the idea of an OWTB section and would sit anywhere in the ground if surrounded by like-minded Latics fans who are:

1) Positive

2) Supportive of ALL members of the team

3) Vocal

It's something I think we need to do, and I'm sure the club will do what it can to help.

The reduction in atmosphere at home games (and some away games, to be honest) is something that has really got me down in recent times. I don't go to as many matches as I used to, and most of the matches I do go to are away from home. If I'm going to BP now I don't particularly look forward to it, as a good atmosphere is integral to my enjoyment of a match.

I must admit, in the last few weeks I'm starting to feel a lot more positive. Through reading OWTB it is clear that I'm not in as small a minority as I thought I was. Certainly when the new ground opens I love the idea of an OWTB section and would sit anywhere in the ground if surrounded by like-minded Latics fans who are:

1) Positive

2) Supportive of ALL members of the team

3) Vocal

It's something I think we need to do, and I'm sure the club will do what it can to help.

Agreed. Feel the same way and I much prefer going to aways. The whole atmosphere thing is a problem at a lot of clubs even when they fill the ground. Really hope the new BP will help with this but it seems to be at the new grounds where the detrimental effect on atmosphere is worst.

This was supposed to be a positive thread, so all I can say is that if you are a singer, don't give in to the moaners!!

Heard a report on the radio in the light of the Funeral comments by fergie on what clubs are trying to do to improve the atmosphere. Many clubs have introduced singing sections including city that have worked well. We could do that with Rocky but im sure that people would rather do nothing as I have been told many thousands of times.

I've thought for ages that there should be a section of the ground that, although you can buy season tickets or a ticket on the day, there are no reserved seats - so that everyone can mingle and get an atmosphere going, which was the case when we had the old terracing. Probably contravenes hundreds of health and safety regulations :mmm: