Today's Chron

ATHLETIC are facing a battle to keep hold of their key players during the January transfer window.

With three weeks still left until the window closes, the Chronicle understands there have been enquiries for at least two members of John Sheridan's squad. Both are first-team regulars who have drawn attention from clubs with significant spending power.

The approaches could now be followed up by official bids – but Athletic insist they want to sign players, not sell them, after reaching mid-table in League One and the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Their cup run has eased the financial burden, with another good pay-day expected against Huddersfield after Athletic made around £170,000 from playing Everton.

The club's owners have told Sheridan, who wants to bring in a striker, a midfielder and a left-sided defender, that money is available.

Athletic could not refuse a vast fee for any of their players, but they are determined to keep the team together after a run of just one defeat in 14 games.

Their mettle was tested at a similar stage last year when they turned down Plymouth's bid for striker Chris Porter.

Meanwhile, Les Pogliacomi was due to play his first match for four months this afternoon when Athletic's reserves met Stoke City, at Newcastle Town.

The goalkeeper had a knee operation in September and only returned to training a short time before Christmas. He has been back in the senior squad as cover for Mark Crossley but needs games to test his knee and improve his sharpness.

Athletic haven't had a reserve-team fixture since November 21 so the likes of Paul Black, Matt Wolfenden, Lewis Alessandra and John Thompson – all of whom were on the bench at Everton on Saturday – have been short of match action.

Squad: Pogliacomi, Walsh, Black, Chalmers, Knight, Thompson, Thaker, Pearson, Alessandra, Wolfenden, Dawson, Kilcourse, Fitzgerald, Brooke, Owen, Bell.

Athletic are back on duty in Coca-Cola League One when they meet top-10 side Brighton at Boundary Park on Saturday.

Tickets for the FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Huddersfield are now on sale to season-ticket holders, who are reminded to use their Team Card when purchasing as they will receive 20 points per ticket.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see Hughes being one. Still only had a relatively few games back at fitness, is 31 and still has perceived baggage. More likely to be Eardley, Davies, and , despite not having had a wonderful season, Taylor.

PS The Chron says they are first team regulars. Now there's a surprise - I thought it might be players who can't catch ....

Edited by LaticsPete

if it is hughes dont think hes going anywhere, hes settled in the area and likes it here.

Concur'd. Doesn't he have to see out the remainder of his contract anyway as part of his parole?

If one of them is Davies and we sell then we should try and beat Brighton to Glenn Murray from Dale.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Their mettle was tested at a similar stage last year when they turned down Plymouth's bid for striker Chris Porter.

So who could blame them this year if they get a nice fat offer for one of our talented youngsters?

Thanks for that, Chris.

So who could blame them this year if they get a nice fat offer for one of our talented youngsters?

Thanks for that, Chris.

But we have Eardley and Taylor under long term deals. Last year TTA were under the impression Porter was going to sign a new contract......seeing how the guy said himself that he would. Eardley signed a new deal before the new year and Taylor last season.

Can't see Hughes being one. Still only had a relatively few games back at fitness, is 31 and still has perceived baggage. More likely to be Eardley, Davies, and , despite not having had a wonderful season, Taylor.

PS The Chron says they are first team regulars. Now there's a surprise - I thought it might be players who can't catch ....

Plus Hughes has a question mark over his groin problem. Still, he'd be a cheap gamble for a club like Preston who might be willing to try anything. I'm guessing Eardley and Davies though

PS, on second reading it makes sense about them being first teamers, as there have also been rumours of people being after that 7 year old lad in the youth team.

But we have Eardley and Taylor under long term deals. Last year TTA were under the impression Porter was going to sign a new contract......seeing how the guy said himself that he would. Eardley signed a new deal before the new year and Taylor last season.

That is certainly one thing we have in our favour BBP.

I would certainly sell Eardley if we get a bid of £500k plus. Lomax or Hazelle slips in then get the lad from Coventry for left back.

Chris Gunter, who's behind Eardley in the Welsh pecking order, has been sold to Spurs from Cardiff for £1M potentially rising to £1.5M.

Rumours down this way are that Crewe have rejected bids of £1.5M from Sunderland and Middlesborough for Danny Woodards (Exeter have 20% sell on clause).

So seeing as £1.5M seems to be the going rate for young right-backs at this level we should look for at least that if we are to sell Eardley (+ sell ons and appearance fees).

I think Davies or Taylor are the other two most likely to be sought after.

That is certainly one thing we have in our favour BBP.

could be trotters,hes playeed well and is a regular...might also be hazell..he has played well all season.....and you could also say gary mc is now a regular and been playing well.or even allott......lets face it,could be anyone of them.......im guessing leeds would be one club looking at us.

I know a guy who lives in Blackpool and he was telling me a couple of weeks back that Blackpool wanted Taylor and had offered Vernon, Adrian Forbes and £50000 to secure Taylor. That deal could not happen now because I believe Forbes has been sold but maybe they are still sniffing ?

Drphibes

I know a guy who lives in Blackpool and he was telling me a couple of weeks back that Blackpool wanted Taylor and had offered Vernon, Adrian Forbes and £50000 to secure Taylor. That deal could not happen now because I believe Forbes has been sold but maybe they are still sniffing ?

Drphibes

could swap forbes for parker though.lol