Today's Chron

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They just signed a bucketload of players though. Trotters and One Size would be one of the better ex-Latics pairing I can think of mind you. Better than some combos Peterborough have had off us.

Oh, I dunno. Mark Arber is doing OK at Stevenage and Guy Pickle ....

... OK, I can't keep a straight face any longer.

:lol:

Clubs like us that operate on a week to week financial loss will always need to sell to survive.

TTA dont have a bottomless pit of cash and have to try at some stage to balance the books and recoup some of their investment in the club, which must be quite substantial.

Having a good youth set up is what keeps clubs like Latics afloat, bringing on young players like Eardley, Taylor and Trotman and inevitably selling them for profit, its the only way we can survive, unfortunately.

As a result of getting Planning Permission that pot is suddenly very deep. Even if it is not bottomless. All I'm saying is that the club shoulld be ambitious, not stuck in a day to day existence. Im sick of seeing clubs like Tranmere and the Bristols going past us up the leagues and clubs like us contunually stuck in this cycle of selling our talented youth and bringing in older players past their prime.......

Especially where you are talking about higher division clubs I think it’s ridiculous to blame players who leave. Frankly I would lack a little respect for a player who had the talent to play at a higher level but who was content to drift along with his first club because he felt at home there. It’s all well and good wanting to play at a higher division with said club, but there’s no saying that it might not take 2, 5, 13 years to get promoted, or your side might even get relegated. Let’s not forget that Championship and Premiership sides also sell their better players to teams higher up and better off than them.

What a load of B*****cks. What is wrong with a group of talented younsters saying to the club who nurtured them."Right boss, We're going to stay here at this club and develop it alongside ourselves. We will work our wotsits off and move up through the divisions together....." Thats called loyalty and ambition. There is nothing stopping the players saying " If we get promotion we insist on re negotiating our contracts." I believe that is what happens anyway.

Edited by happyterryb

What a load of B*****cks. What is wrong with a group of talented younsters saying to the club who nurtured them."Right boss, We're going to stay here at this club and develop it alongside ourselves. We will work our wotsits off and move up through the divisions together....."

As footie fans this is what we all want, sometimes a player can look a class act thanks to the team around them, when they move to a bigger pond they don't quite live up to their potential or reputation - Serrant, Milligan, Anelka, Heskey..etc...

Quite often players move too soon before they have learned their trade and it doesn't work out for them and they end up slipping back down the leagues, usually they have their heads turned by agents.

It is a short career so it is understandable that they want to make as much cash and have the potential to play at as high a level as possible, it is also a fact of life that at the moment we have to sell for the good of the club but as Exile says nowt wrong in selling a player as long as we move forward with the related signings.

..................but as Exile says nowt wrong in selling a player as long as we move forward with the related signings.

That's the point I was trying to make earlier Tony. We need another striker, an other winger and another midfielder. If we were to let Eardley go for £750k or whatever you can add a new RB to that list. OK, Hazell will do a solid job at RB but with Gregan long term crocked and Stam not having the best of injury records, it leaves us short of cover to partner Trotters.

I doubt all of the £750k is gonna be made available for signings, and even if it was, it wouldn't go all that far if we need to buy/replace 4 players.

I'm not sure how we move forward on that basis. If we HAVE to sell Eardley, then lets make sure we get what he's worth compared to the rest of the current market.

Very few players get sold for anything like the £500K - £1M from League 1 level, if they do they are usually strikers. If we lose defenders such as Eardley I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't more like the £250K - £300K mark maybe with a sell on clause and I would expect the same if it were Taylor also.

Very few players get sold for anything like the £500K - £1M from League 1 level, if they do they are usually strikers. If we lose defenders such as Eardley I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't more like the £250K - £300K mark maybe with a sell on clause and I would expect the same if it were Taylor also.

hasnt eardleys wales understudy just moved from cardiff to spurs for £1.5m?

Could always stick Black in at left back, he seems to be a prospect and Lomax at right back, freeing up Rubes for CB.

Simon Corney on Laticsworld suggests that we should use the players we already have, big gamble relying on youth all the time but the last few to come through haven't let anyone down. Could even stick Wolfie in as the creative midfielder, KK was pretty lightweight and Wolfie is a similar build.

Suppliment the squad with a few old heads on loan and blood the youths and we could be looking at a tasty young home grown team next season.

Someone, mentioned that at this level having a fancy full back isn't so important, at the time I thought he was talking out of his hat but after watching the Walsall full backs stiffle our wingers yet not get forward much themselves I think there might be a lot of truth in this. We rely on our full backs too much in an attacking sense and sides have learnt that if their full backs defend up the pitch they can negate our threat. We get caught a fair bit on the break by sides who then stretch our centrebacks apart leaving space in the middle. We conceed a lot of goals from the D area usually due to centrebacks covering for full backs.

I really can't see us selling our best assets unless a completely stupid offer comes in that is too good to turn down (and that's probably a lot more than what we were offered for Porter because we've learnt from that lesson and in a more stronger position in respect of finances and future).

These assets have come in for very little outlay - either as freebies or youth players - so we can afford to bide our time. Also, these kids will only get better and will become more valuable whilst with us and whilst we're succeeding. Eardley for instance is adding to his value via the Wales games as well as the performances for us and will continue to play for Wales even whilst we're still in this league.

We also haven't budgeted for this cup run this season and the planning permission approval has given the club a major boost in terms of future revenue; not only securing the future of the club but most probably wiping out the club's operating debts (admittedly over time).

The future of our club was pivotal on us getting this planning permission and following this decision there is new found optimism and ambition from the owners regardless of the Everton tie i.e. comments like "money will and has always been available to Shez".

I can only see us building for success rather than ripping the heart out the team. References to our operating debt is still made by the board but not as negative as it once was.

The impression I get is that the owners and board can sense that Shez has turned a corner, "his" players have started to come good, we are close to offloading the likes of Ricketts who not only is a poor signing but will free up sizeable funds to carry on the rebuilding.

The future's bright and ignore the doom mongering from the Chron.

Wolfie as a creative midfielder?? As he is a similar build?!!

Sean Gregan is a similar build to a tug boat, but we won't see him on the thames!! :D

Touche!

You know what I mean! Wolfie has the skills but with some of the Tugboatesque defenders in this league he might be better moving into midfield?

He has but with Championship experience and also he is likely to be ahead of Eardley in the pecking order in future.

But many Cardiff fans were surprised by the amount they recieved and he is not even been a regular starter often coming off the bench. Plus with Neal being captain (and obviously a first team regular), although playing at a lower level we should be looking for a similair amount, if not more.

Touche!

You know what I mean! Wolfie has the skills but with some of the Tugboatesque defenders in this league he might be better moving into midfield?

Ok i'll take a :yellowcard: for that one.

Though i just couldn't imagine Wolfie At all in a centre midfield role..though you do have a point about some of the "tugboatesque" defenders :D