LOTW - 10/01/08 - Jack Rowley

Stevie_J

lotwrowleyrt7.jpg

Welcome to the 28th Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's a man without whom, arguably, Latics would never have enjoyed the success they did under Frizzell and Royle. He paved the way by signing the likes of Johnstone and Lister (I think! He was slightly before my time!)

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

The manager when I first started watching in 1960 and the architect of the revival that saw us move out of perennially near the bottom of Div 4 to promotion with an average home gate of 14000.

Brought some very astute signings to the club - the star was Bobby Johnstone of course, but others like Bert Lister, Ken Branagan, Alan Williams, Jimmy Frizzell, Johnny Colquhoun - and they not only won promotion in 1963 but gave Liverpool a fright in the Cup in 1962 in front of 41733 at Boundary Park.

Fell out with the directors and went to coach at Ajax! Returned in late 60s but didn't have the same success. Ran a newsagents in Shaw for a while.

Always approachable and had a massive influence on the history of the club. Without his excellent management from 1960-63 the Latics may have gone out of the league.

Brother of the legendary Arthur.

the song of the time says it all

we are supporters of the latics

jack rowley is our king

with alun williams in the centre

and peter phoenix as the wizard on the wing

ken branagan is our full back

bobby johnstone's at inside right

and lister is the crasher

for the boys in blue and white

jack rowley is our king

That's ace.

jack rowley is our king

Oh what memories. I seem to remember when we signed the left back John McCue (from Stoke, if I remember correctly), we changed one line of the song to:

"Branagan and McCue at full back"

Wasn't it also the era when the Zigga Zagga chant started?

Jack was a fantastic manager, who had the knack of bringing players together who could play bright, attacking football and as for bringning Bobby Johnstone to BP, what a master stroke. Not another manager in the lower leagues could have done that. Shows the measure of the man.

jack rowley is our king

Brilliant! They don't write 'em like that anymore! To what tune was it sung?

It was a military maching tune, but I'm damned if I can remember what it's called. It sort of went :

De dee de dee dee dee dee dee de

:D

Thanks for trying. I'll get Diego to hum it to me!

Edited by oafc_ok

Oh what memories. I seem to remember when we signed the left back John McCue (from Stoke, if I remember correctly), we changed one line of the song to:

"Branagan and McCue at full back"

And when we signed Colin Whittaker he went in as the wizard of the wing. Colin was another class act ,I well remember him slamming in a goal at the Rochdale Rd end which stuck behind the stanchion,the keeper never moved.

My 5 year old grandson would have been Jack's great grandson had the great man lived. Sadly Jack passed away in a nursing home suffering from dementia.

Jack Rowley = Latics Legend no doubt.

The manager when I first started watching in 1960 and the architect of the revival that saw us move out of perennially near the bottom of Div 4 to promotion with an average home gate of 14000.

Brought some very astute signings to the club - the star was Bobby Johnstone of course, but others like Bert Lister, Ken Branagan, Alan Williams, Jimmy Frizzell, Johnny Colquhoun - and they not only won promotion in 1963 but gave Liverpool a fright in the Cup in 1962 in front of 41733 at Boundary Park.

Fell out with the directors and went to coach at Ajax! Returned in late 60s but didn't have the same success. Ran a newsagents in Shaw for a while.

Always approachable and had a massive influence on the history of the club. Without his excellent management from 1960-63 the Latics may have gone out of the league.

Brother of the legendary Arthur.

He blotted his copybook second time around. Took us to the bottom of Div 4....knocked out of cup by SouthShields...beaten 8-1 at Peterboro.....

Oh and for good measure he signed the legend that was David Down