Greatest performance at Boundary Park by any player?

Theres been some greats over the years, both latics and visitors- bobby johnston, bobby collins, st john,hunt,weah,vialli,zola,cantana,robson,rush,ritchie,palmer,fowler,giggs and Sheridan. A Ritchie hat-trick against wolves i remember as a faultless and stunning 90 mins, giggs 92ish 6-3 was class, weah in that friendly in 2000- the best touch of any footballer id seen. But i remember warhurst '90 against oxford 4-1 i think, he could have beat anybody in the world that night- the best (ricky h wasnt bad either that night

Theres been some greats over the years, both latics and visitors- bobby johnston, bobby collins, st john,hunt,weah,vialli,zola,cantana,robson,rush,ritchie,palmer,fowler,giggs and Sheridan. A Ritchie hat-trick against wolves i remember as a faultless and stunning 90 mins, giggs 92ish 6-3 was class, weah in that friendly in 2000- the best touch of any footballer id seen. But i remember warhurst '90 against oxford 4-1 i think, he could have beat anybody in the world that night- the best (ricky h wasnt bad either that night

Tricky Ricky bagged a hat-trick that night.

Frank Bunn v Scarborough wasn't bad

Pogs vs City and Bradford was awesome

Stitch, Sharp, Carlo and Clyde all bagging four were great performances too (vs Torquay, Luton, Wrexham & Mansfield Respectively)

Scott Vernon's hat-trick v Grimsby was pretty special

Adam Griffin having SWP in his pocket was one of the best full-back performances I've ever seen

Anytime stitch was in his pomp (worth the admin fee alone but ESPECIALLY against Arsenal he oozed class that night)

For the opposition:

Le Tissier Final Day '93

Brian Parkin for Bristol Rovers in '91 was pretty special

Mark Robins' for Norwich when he bagged a hat-trick

Juan Ugarte

Cantona twice, once for Leeds ('92 2-2) once for Man Utd ('93 5-2)

But for me the clear oppo winner was Peter Beardsley vs Newcastle in '93, although Cole scored a brace and PB scored one he won that game on his own he was absolutely awesome! Although he was run very close byDavid James throwing two in against Liverpool!!!!

Tricky Ricky bagged a hat-trick that night.

Frank Bunn v Scarborough wasn't bad

Pogs vs City and Bradford was awesome

Stitch, Sharp, Carlo and Clyde all bagging four were great performances too (vs Torquay, Luton, Wrexham & Mansfield Respectively)

Scott Vernon's hat-trick v Grimsby was pretty special

Adam Griffin having SWP in his pocket was one of the best full-back performances I've ever seen

Anytime stitch was in his pomp (worth the admin fee alone but ESPECIALLY against Arsenal he oozed class that night)

For the opposition:

Le Tissier Final Day '93

Brian Parkin for Bristol Rovers in '91 was pretty special

Mark Robins' for Norwich when he bagged a hat-trick

Juan Ugarte

Cantona twice, once for Leeds ('92 2-2) once for Man Utd ('93 5-2)

But for me the clear oppo winner was Peter Beardsley vs Newcastle in '93, although Cole scored a brace and PB scored one he won that game on his own he was absolutely awesome! Although he was run very close byDavid James throwing two in against Liverpool!!!!

That Adam Griffin shout is a cracker! Plus aided by Eyres that day who set the goal up. Two of the finest displays, backed up by Pogs in net. TBH, sadly, this is difficult as a lot shade into insignificance compared to some of the away performances (Armstrong silencing Joe Cole in the Lge Cup and Hazell at Everton being two of the best I've ever seen from our lads.)

Edited by boundaryblue80

That Adam Griffin shout is a cracker! Plus aided by Eyres that day who set the goal up. Two of the finest displays, backed up by Pogs in net. TBH, sadly, this is difficult as a lot shade into insignificance compared to some of the away performances (Armstrong silencing Joe Cole in the Lge Cup and Hazell at Everton being two of the best I've ever seen from our lads.)

chris waddle for bradford a few years back and for spurs in 87 class player

Armstrong pocketing Cole, great shout. Nervy first minute when they broke away (much like Everton) after that Stretch had him sorted no problem.

As for BP, too many opposition players and not enough of our own!

The day we played Chelsea and they had Desailly in defence who'd won the World Cup just six months prior. Fair enough he'd faced bigger challenges than Allott and Whitehall but he just strolled round the pitch, total control. Everything perfectly timed, knew when to clear and when to pass it on. I remember Allott and Whitehall trying to rough him up (in the limited ways they could) but he just brushed them off. Just the one slip that let in Whitehall but he got lucky. Winning World Cups gets you that I guess!

For the opposition, I remember Mickey Quinn coming on late in a match 5-0 down and we in the chaddy ended up whistling for the final whistle at 5-3 hoping that he wouldn;t score again. I seem to recall him scoring twice setting up the other (possible pen - my memory is playing tricks) and hitting the woodwork.

Anybody else help me out on that one.

I still say that the best goal I've ever seen at BP was Adam Griffin's against Grimsby on Celebration Sunday. Has anyone got a video clip of it so I can check whether it was as good as I believe?

I've just dug the DVD out - I'll bring it round on Sunday

The late, great Alan Groves.

Too long ago for my dicky memory to give precise details but I remember him running at a fullback, stopping and sitting on the ball before taking it past him. Also remember him scoring a superb goal (against Blackburn I think). Took a corner which cam back to him, took the ball to the corner of the penalty area and then leathered it into the top corner. Can't remember who their goualie was but he was a big name at the time.

The late, great Alan Groves.

Too long ago for my dicky memory to give precise details but I remember him running at a fullback, stopping and sitting on the ball before taking it past him. Also remember him scoring a superb goal (against Blackburn I think). Took a corner which came back to him, took the ball to the corner of the penalty area and then leathered it into the top corner. Can't remember who their goalie was but he was a big name at the time.

There was a Wycombe keeper that seemed to always play brilliantly against us.. Taylor I think his name was.

It was Martin Taylor who made his name with Derby County. Short spells at Carlisle, Scunthorpe and Crewe followed before he went to Wycombe Wanderers, where he spent seven years winning the Player Of The Year award three years running and was part of the Wycombe side which got to the F.A. Cup semi-final.

Martin lived in Burton-on-Trent and, after a spell with Telford United, he joined Burton Albion as goalkeeping coach, often providing cover on the substitutes' bench.

There was a Wycombe keeper that seemed to always play brilliantly against us.. Taylor I think his name was.

I remember Farrell at Posh ripping us to pieces when they beat us 4-1.

Actually, I misread..I thought this was about Latics players. In that case, the best ever performance from a player I've seen at BP is from Mark Tyler from Posh (did you mean him Butter?...just wondered)....

After Jason Lee's pineapple forced a last minute equaliser in R2 of the FA Cup at London Road costing us a trip to Chelski in R3, Posh turned up with Tyler in net and he was simply awesome! Posh took the lead 5mins into the game, we then proceeded to leather them for the rest of the match. I'm sure I read somewhere we had EIGHTEEN shots on target that night.....but Tyler stopped one, after the other, after the other! Was absolutely gutted....but that for me was the best individual performance I've ever seen at BP.

EDIT:

Just found an old report I wrote for the game:

Dec 19th 2000

"Tyler produced near identical stops several times, with hands and legs and sometimes anything that would get in the way of the ball. It denied reason and looked beyond belief that such a display could be performed, but if any side should come up against it, it would be Oldham Athletic"

"This game was fast becoming a one-man freak show. Again, seconds later, he made an out of this world stop."

Edited by boundaryblue80

Greatest moment for me was Alan Groves at the corner flag with his back to two defenders and kicking the ball over the top of them but instead of crossing the ball he went back to the corner flag to do the same again. The full back was taken off shortly after.

Ricky Holden against Villa in the FA cup (I think) when he turned their fullback inside out for the first 30 minutes, the fullback tried to sythe him on a couple of occassions but couldn't get close enough and looked a baffoon and got taken off - it could have been the League Cup Semi against the hammers but was too drunk to remember either.

Actually, I misread..I thought this was about Latics players. In that case, the best ever performance from a player I've seen at BP is from Mark Tyler from Posh (did you mean him Butter?...just wondered)....

After Jason Lee's pineapple forced a last minute equaliser in R2 of the FA Cup at London Road costing us a trip to Chelski in R3, Posh turned up with Tyler in net and he was simply awesome! Posh took the lead 5mins into the game, we then proceeded to leather them for the rest of the match. I'm sure I read somewhere we had EIGHTEEN shots on target that night.....but Tyler stopped one, after the other, after the other! Was absolutely gutted....but that for me was the best individual performance I've ever seen at BP.

EDIT:

Just found an old report I wrote for the game:

Dec 19th 2000

"Tyler produced near identical stops several times, with hands and legs and sometimes anything that would get in the way of the ball. It denied reason and looked beyond belief that such a display could be performed, but if any side should come up against it, it would be Oldham Athletic"

"This game was fast becoming a one-man freak show. Again, seconds later, he made an out of this world stop."

No didn't mean him but was going to edit my post as Tyler was the same, he kept them in the game down at London Road as well.

Taylor was the same for Wycombe but did it consistently!

Farrell was the little whippet winger that skinned I think Prenderville all day long.

Can tell I missed out on the good years, most are on about Paul Merson, Eric Cantona etc. And I mention a bloody keeper from Wycombe Wanderers!!

Edited by Butter

No didn't mean him but was going to edit my post as Tyler was the same, he kept them in the game down at London Road as well.

Taylor was the same for Wycombe but did it consistently!

Farrell was the little whippet winger that skinned I think Prenderville all day long.

Can tell I missed out on the good years, most are on about Paul Merson, Eric Cantona etc. And I mention a bloody keeper from Wycombe Wanderers!!

Think we're in the same boat, era-wise! Lol...:censored:, ain't it?!?! Oh well...

Some more Performances that stand out (maybe not the best, but ones I remember)

Latics:

1. Craig Fleming vs Man United home (won 1-0) - Kept giggs quiet and nearly popped up with a goal

2. Kilkenny vs Bradford away (won 3-1)

3. Pogliacomi vs Stockport away (drew 1-1)

Opposition:

1. Beardsley and Cole for Newcastle @ BP (lost 3-1) - I know its a pair, but they mullered us like no-one I've ever seen.

Edited by pukka

Forget them all

Alan Mcneill on his debut....Signed from Hudds for 7k.... mudbath...Aldershot I think......went 2 down in no time....Mac took over......pulled one back himself

and laid the rest on...great take control of the game performance.....did a lot more.......one of the most gifted midfield players I have ever seen.

60 yard goal against blackburn counts too