Longest without The Latics

I currently have my dad staying with me and yesterday he was bemoaning the fact that he would miss a lot of Latics matches whilst he was here. (Stop smiling, Diego!!) As he, and my mum, are season ticket holders who go to every home game but very few away matches we calculated that they would miss six, or possibly seven (Port Vale away).

As I pointed out to him, my last match was Scunthorpe away in the League Cup, August 2003, it has been nearly five years since I last saw Oldham Athletic "in the flesh".

I was wondering, what is the longest anyone on here has gone without watching The Blues? And you'd better have a good enough excuse. Like mine!!!

Last Season I Missed One Game And That Was Rotherham Away In Carling Cup. I Was Visiting My Dad Down South.

This Season I Have Missed All The Games Between Crewe ( League ) To tranmere Because I Was Playing For Oldham Town Who Have Same Kick Off Times.. It Killed Me Not To Watch Latics

Edited by OaFcLee

I once went three months without watching Latics in 1994.

I was working in India and couldnt get scores or anything, so used to ring the then girlfriend at around full time and ask her to look on teletext for the scores for me.

Unfortunately she soon twigged that the main reason for the phone calls was the Latics result and not just to speak to her, suffice to say that relationship did not stand the test of time. :grin:

Seasons 1998 to about 2001 are very hazy for me, given I only attended about 20 matches then due to working and personal circumstances at the time. I suspect the longest I went was a few months probably.

I used to have regular strops too when we went 0-2 or 0-3 down early and left before half-time on some occasions. Thankfully age has pacified me, so much that the 1-7 horror show against Cardiff I was still there when the final whistle went.

From 8th Sept 2001 to Feb 21 st 2004 :disappointed:

Came up from London for the Oldham 2-1 Blackpool win on the sat ... Sept 11 th happened on the Tues and got made redunant on the followng friday ..

So I moved to oz for a while B)

Apart from when I was a kid (From May '87-May '88) the longest as an adult was when I worked in retailing and worked every weekend. I only got the odd Saturday off so the longest was November '96-Feb '97. I still managed 21 games that season but only saw us win 3 times and I missed all the good results we had that year, including City at home and the double over Wolves and as I worked bank holidays too I was even more gutted to miss the 5-1 vs Swindon. On the plus side I saw our 1-0 win at QPR, but the game that broke my three month absence was probably the most abject performance I have ever seen - the 3-0 defeat at home to Grimsby, Sharp's last game and my 20th Birthday, joy!

Thankfully age has pacified me, so much that the 1-7 horror show against Cardiff I was still there when the final whistle went.

Walked out at 0-6, by the time I arrived in a packed Clayton arms it was 1-7, a true horror show. Remember one thought going round my head for a week until we kicked off at Reading, it was basically along the lines of WTF jut happened there?

My history has been somewhat patchy.

Went to quite a few as a nipper with my Dad. Main memories from that era are Carl Valentine and the fact the only record we seemed to have was Leo Sayer's Greatest Hits.

Wasn't much into footy as a yoof, and only started going regularly early on in the 1989 season (before things started to go crazy, but what a season to choose! :lol: ). Had a season ticket for 90/1 to 92/3, but by the start of 93/4 was working away. Managed to get to a fair few games when I was home, and the Wembley semi. Was working away for a year or so after that, and mostly lost interest. From 94/5 to 2001/2 I reckon I saw about half a dozen games. Only really started regularly again in the last month or two of Ritchie's reign.

I stayed the 90 to watch Stuart Balmer prod home and send 5,000 crazed latics barmy :dance::pray:

Yeah I did the same, that was worth the entrance fee alone, text book toe poke. Must have only been about 500 or so latics fans left in the ground at the most. Looked like there were about 15 in the chaddy lol.

Apart from when I was a kid (From May '87-May '88) the longest as an adult was when I worked in retailing and worked every weekend.

Is that the shortest childhood in Human History??? You must have done a lot of schooling in that year!!! fair play!

:wink:

On the note of the thread.... the only time I havent been a season ticket holder is when i was at uni betwen 1999 and 2002 - hear I didnt miss much... :wink: .... oh and this season..... :disappointed:

I currently have my dad staying with me and yesterday he was bemoaning the fact that he would miss a lot of Latics matches whilst he was here. (Stop smiling, Diego!!) As he, and my mum, are season ticket holders who go to every home game but very few away matches we calculated that they would miss six, or possibly seven (Port Vale away).

As I pointed out to him, my last match was Scunthorpe away in the League Cup, August 2003, it has been nearly five years since I last saw Oldham Athletic "in the flesh".

I was wondering, what is the longest anyone on here has gone without watching The Blues? And you'd better have a good enough excuse. Like mine!!!

Longest I have gone without watching Latics is 3 months.

It is the gap between one season and the next!!

:grin:

Seasons 1998 to about 2001 are very hazy for me, given I only attended about 20 matches then due to working and personal circumstances at the time. I suspect the longest I went was a few months probably.

I used to have regular strops too when we went 0-2 or 0-3 down early and left before half-time on some occasions. Thankfully age has pacified me, so much that the 1-7 horror show against Cardiff I was still there when the final whistle went.

that was the worst 25mins i've ever witnessed at bp.

I stayed the 90 to watch Stuart Balmer prod home and send 5,000 crazed latics barmy :dance::pray:

I wasn't too happy when he scored TBH (I know a few others who weren't either)....As we were losing 6-0 I realised what 7-0 would mean. When it happened, I decided that I wanted to be part of history of the club so that I could one day tell my grandkids that I saw us lose 7-0 in our biggest ever home defeat....then that pie eating :censored: who was at fault (as well as Goram) for most of the goals pops up and ruins it all! Grrrr!!!

Watched Latics from 82 - relegation from Prem - stopped going to BP when they made the Chaddy End all seater - had a massive sulk - went to one or two game in between but only started coming back around the nearly extinct time - now back as ST holder and feel as excited at watching Tics as back in 82!