Ricketts leaves Walsall!

Taylor's girlfriend's mum did exactly that but it didn't seem to stop the rumours. A mate of Smalley also said that the rumours about that fight were rubbish. I don't think the club should lower themselves to answering every groundless rumour on a message board, it would be a full time job and people still wouldn't believe them.

To be fair Andy, I think that most of the "statements" that we saw reflected the agreed "no comment" policy that was in place between OAFC and Ricketts.

Totally agree though that Club Officials shouldn't be using any Messageboard to quash rumour.

Woah, hold on there IC! Not having that one!!!

There's a whole world of difference than a public dirty linen washing smacking of utter unprofessionalism compared to a well-scripted, mutually agreed official news release to cover up a situation. The club and Ricketts should have agreed to that, not stonewall silence leading to libellous rumour mongering.

Ok I'll grant you it is different but as has been said, any statement would have meant Ricketts finding another Club would have been nigh on impossible.

To be fair Andy, I think that most of the "statements" that we saw reflected the agreed "no comment" policy that was in place between OAFC and Ricketts.

Totally agree though that Club Officials shouldn't be using any Messageboard to quash rumour.

Was never suggesting they use the board to quash the rumour. Was saying that they will have known about the rumours because they READ these boards.

There wouldn't have been the need for it had on Friday 2nd November 2007, when Ricketts left, a mutually agreed piece of PR came out. I said it that day and I'll say it forever more.....slack IMO. Anyway, that scapegoats gone now.....roll on the next one....

Was never suggesting they use the board to quash the rumour. Was saying that they will have known about the rumours because they READ these boards.

So if they issue a press release to confirm that a player did not smack another player, or Shez did not have a huge fall out with someone, or that there is not a clique in the dressing room, what happens the next time the rumours start? These things happen all the time, but false rumours and true ones. Who would have believed a denial anyway? "Oldham can confirm that Michael Ricketts is a great bloke and is loved by everyone within the club. No incidents have taken place. He has just left on loan to Walsall and will probably never be seen here again."

I guess what you are saying is that they should have quashed the rumours by posting something on the Official Site. Agreed that is different to posting it on a MB. Sorry.

I go back to what I was saying before though. I think the Club would have struggled to quash any rumours due to the Confidentiality agreement with Ricketts.

There wouldn't have been the need for it had on Friday 2nd November 2007, when Ricketts left, a mutually agreed piece of PR came out. I said it that day and I'll say it forever more.....slack IMO. Anyway, that scapegoats gone now.....roll on the next one....

I'm really not following the logic of this.

Are you suggesting that some sort of agreed 'PR' announcement would have been dealt with any differently by the rumour mongers than silence has? That everyone would lap up some empty words that don't really say anything and leave it at that?

Not a chance.

Fortunately, the club were smart enough to realise what kind of gamble Ricketts would be when they signed him. And that means that now we've had to call that gamble in we're not out of pocket.

I don't expect anything further to come from the club. Ricketts is gone. Episode over.

I'm really not following the logic of this.

Are you suggesting that some sort of agreed 'PR' announcement would have been dealt with any differently by the rumour mongers than silence has? That everyone would lap up some empty words that don't really say anything and leave it at that?

Not a chance.

Fortunately, the club were smart enough to realise what kind of gamble Ricketts would be when they signed him. And that means that now we've had to call that gamble in we're not out of pocket.

I don't expect anything further to come from the club. Ricketts is gone. Episode over.

Recalling that Friday afternoon and the :censored: that was being peddled, yep....I am saying breaking the silence would've dampened that. A simple, mutual, things haven't quite worked out for both parties etc. Many were baying for Rico's blood back then anyway (the untrained eye :wink: saying....) how he was lazy, couldn't find the net etc.....they would've simply said, nice one, didn't want him here, good riddance. Instead, the silence added to it and allowed the poisonous minds to conjure up all sorts of additional monstrosities he'd got up to......even eating my cat!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I still think the poisonous minds would have done their work anyway.

Must admit, I hadn't heard that he'd eaten your cat. Can't be all bad then... :grin:

I agree, even a few words saying "everything was ok, didn't work out" would have still stirred up the rumours.