Chris Taylor's views on his 100 games, Hoooof football and the future

From tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

100 not out ! Landmark for local lad Chris

MICHAEL YARWOOD’S weekly look behind the scenes at Boundary Park

TIME flies when you are having fun — and Chris Taylor can already celebrate 100 senior appearances for Athletic.

Taylor racked up the century at Bristol Rovers last week, almost two years to the day since making his debut in a thumping win against Nottingham Forest.

Now aged 21, he has hardly missed a match in the intervening period, although there has been a positional change from right wing-back to the left of midfield.

It’s well known that Taylor is a lifelong supporter of the team he represents, to the extent that he once held his birthday party at Boundary Park.

Taylor said: “It seems weird that I’ve been in the side for two years, but I’m really proud to have played 100 games.

“The time has gone quickly, but I’m loving it more than ever and I hope there will be another hundred, then another.

“I remember my debut well because we had a big squad at the time and I didn’t think it was going to happen.

“John Sheridan was managing the reserves and he told Ronnie Moore I was worth a chance in the first team, but I was still surprised to be called up.

“I got my chance when Terrell Forbes was injured, and then last season I managed to stay involved for nearly all the games.

“This time I’ve only missed three — one through suspension and two with injury — so I’ve been lucky to stay fit, apart from the odd problem with my hamstrings.

“When I first got in the side I felt like a kid, but you get used to playing in front of crowds and you always know the fans want you to do well.

“There’s pressure to win games, but I was a young lad who used to watch from the stands and now I’m playing for Oldham Athletic, so it’s hard to describe how proud that makes me feel.

“It’s strange that I’m probably one of our senior players, but we have a lot of young lads at the moment so the club must be doing something right.

“You’ve got myself, Lewis Alessandra, Deane Smalley, Kelvin Lomax, Matty Wolfenden and Neal Eardley, who must be coming up to 100 games himself.

“There are others waiting for their chance, so it would be brilliant if we all stayed together and helped the team to a higher level.

“I would love to be playing in the Championship — and Neal Trotman has already got there, which shows what can happen — and I want to do it with Oldham Athletic more than any other club.”

Taylor, who is naturally right footed, has had to adapt his game since being switched to the opposite flank early last season.

And he said goalscoring was another area in need of work as he has only found the net six times.

He explained: “You learn a lot in two years and I do think I’ve come on a bit since I played 14 times under Ronnie Moore.

“There’s still loads to improve and I need to concentrate on my finishing because I’m capable of scoring more often.

“My heading could be better as well, and I’ve spent a lot of time practising crossing with my weaker left foot.

“Maybe in time I would like to play on the right, but I’m just happy to be in the team and I’m doing my best to improve.”

Of the current squad at Boundary Park, Taylor has made more appearances for Athletic than everyone except Mark Allott (220 in two spells), Les Pogliacomi (187 in two spells) and Andy Liddell (106).

And he has seen the team undergo major surgery in the space of his two years.

He said: “The side I came into was about no-nonsense defending and trying to play in the opposition half as much as possible.

“Ronnie Moore didn’t really want the ball in our own half, which was fair enough because all managers have their own style.

“John Sheridan likes us to express ourselves every week, although there are other times when you have to dig in and battle.

“Last season it got us into the top six and we had good, confident players like Richie Wellens, Chris Porter and Sean Gregan, who were playing all the time.

“During the summer a lot of people left and we had all sorts of changes, which meant we took a while to settle down again.

“But things are coming together now and, if we keep our home form strong enough, it’s going to be interesting for the play-offs again.”

“My heading could be better as well, and I’ve spent a lot of time practising crossing with my weaker left foot.

“Maybe in time I would like to play on the right, but I’m just happy to be in the team and I’m doing my best to improve.”

so its not just us then that thinks he is playing well outside his positional comfort zone. the sooner he gets on the right the better imo. lose liddell in the summer and get a natural left winger in (possibly Livermore, with Lomax at left back? or is that radical? :o )

Its good that tayls is getting so much experience on his weaker side while hes young. We do need a decent left winger for next season. Not Livermoore someone younger and quicker who has a decent cross and is decent on set plays lol.

But yes maybe for this season that could work.

Lomax is a good left back for us. He is good coming forward which we lack abit.

Most are attacks come from the right and usually end in a cross from Eardley.

Get lomax in on the left to do the same job.

What a shocking attitude he has got, he is an absolute disgrace to the club and everything the club stands for.

A local lad wanting to play for his local team and wanting to progress and do well with them, unbelievable what is the world coming to.

Also trying to work on and improve the weaker areas of his game like his crossing with his left foot and his heading, and playing out of his preferred and better position, showing a flexible and willing approach for the good of the team.

I'll tell you what they don't produce players today like they did back in my day, its all me me me nowadays.

And while I'm at it he's a rubbish player as well who contributes little or nothing to the team and gives us no options going forward and he doesn't work anything like hard enough during games.

Goodnight.

What a shocking attitude he has got, he is an absolute disgrace to the club and everything the club stands for.

A local lad wanting to play for his local team and wanting to progress and do well with them, unbelievable what is the world coming to.

Also trying to work on and improve the weaker areas of his game like his crossing with his left foot and his heading, and playing out of his preferred and better position, showing a flexible and willing approach for the good of the team.

I'll tell you what they don't produce players today like they did back in my day, its all me me me nowadays.

And while I'm at it he's a rubbish player as well who contributes little or nothing to the team and gives us no options going forward and he doesn't work anything like hard enough during games.

Goodnight.

I think you missed out "Big Time Charlie" Htc. :grin:

Like a few lines in tomorrows chip wrapper are going to make me change my mind :grin: .

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

Wilson you are a k**b. Save your time lambasting the likes of beavers and let us have a bit o' peace and quiet. This Taylor issue shows you know f**k all bout football. Do one if you cant talk sense.

Wilson you are a k**b. Save your time lambasting the likes of beavers and let us have a bit o' peace and quiet. This Taylor issue shows you know f**k all bout football. Do one if you cant talk sense.

That comment added something constructive to this thread didn't it - NOT.

For what it is worth, in my opinion Chris Taylor has been well below par this season compared to last season. He is such a frustrating player. I would put him in the Craig Davies mould of player, as IMO he is also very much a confidence player this showed more so the other week when he scored, he ran straight to the Main Stand and applauded them however when he returned the the NSM side he just put his head down and didn't want to know. This kind of reaction is not good for a young player like him, but I do understand why he did it.

To many people are to quick to get on these young lads backs, this kind of behaviour nearly destroyed Pog's the other year when game after game people where constantly on his case. This kind of behaviour DID destroy Butcher. It isn't good or clever for anyone to do this. The negative comments that need to be made be it about Shez, TTA or the players should be made away from the ground ie, in the pub, in the car on the way home or wherever you what but not directly at the players.

Football is a game of opinions, which makes it more interesting. Everybody has opinions about players, managers etc and everyones will be different, it would be very boring if they were all the same. Just because Mr Wilson doesn't rate Chris Taylor doesn't make him a Kn0B if that what he thinks then so be it. From what I know of Mr Wilson he is 100% Oldham.

Were all in this for the same reason and we all want the same thing.

Edited by AMO