The End For Pogs?

All the best Les!

When confident, he was up there with the best 'keepers in the football league! Lots of great memories from the playoff seasons and survival season and of course the Man City cup game!

Does anyone know where the highlights of the Bradford game are? I never saw the saves he made in that game.

My guess is that, when fit again, he'll play in the A league and I hope he'll recover to play a few more seasons!

I remember one save that he made against Bradford with his foot after there striker headed down from inside 6 yards. Truly amazing reaction, made one very similar in the City game as well. As others have said legend is used to loosely on here but in im eyes that is how I will always remember Pogs. Showed us such loyalty and cared about every kick of every game he played in just as much as us, which is amazing for someone who came here with no affinity for the club.

Really sad news that he won't play for us again (I very much doubt he will anyway), never met him but always seemed very down to earth and 'one of us'. An icon of that great season under Dowie, and one of the few glimmers of hope in the dark days that followed. Good luck in your recovery Les.

Pogliacomi was on his day the best Australian keeper (at one point he was their official third choice) but alas his consistency was that great. He did deserve to play at a higher level and if it wasn't for Adrain Littlejohn I think he would have (his injury not only cost us but i think it stopped some of the clubs who came poaching from making an offer). He came over here before the A-league really got going but its now quite popular and they get crowds larger than the average at our level and getting games there will be a step-up to sitting on our bench. Its a pity that he'll more than likely never pull on an Oldham shirt again. His performance against City was the true star that day as he made remarkable save after remarkable save against some good talent.

Thanks very much Pogs and I hope the club can at least get him on the pitch for half-time so the fans can do it properly.

What can be said that isn't on here already? Les came here as an unknown, but proved his worth time and time again. Yes, he had his wobbles, but the best in the world have 'em too. But 19 clean sheets in a season will really take some beating. I think it was Mike Yarwood in the Chron who once said, "Defenders know where they are with Pogliacomi. Usually underneath him as the big Aussie takes yet another cross out of the air."

I will never forget his heroics on one leg at QPR in the play offs. Who will forget his dignity when he got that ridiculous red card against Brentford when their player went down after he'd been shot by a sniper in the crowd? And as for his black tights, not many 6' 5" keepers would have got away with that!!

So many memories, so many great performances, and the odd bad one. But that's what you get with Pogs and that makes his latest bad news such a gut wrencher. So sorry for the guy; a true Latics star, well loved and never forgotten. He has to be given a reet royal send-off if he decides to go back to Oz.

Good luck Les, wishing you a full and speedier recovery than the docs have predicted. Thanks for all you have done for the club and the fans. Just hope to God your career isn't over. :imnotworthy::applause1: :applause1: :applause1: :applause1: :applause1:

Everything's been said has been said really, a quality GK who, although prone to the occasional error, was a steady pair of hands...especially in the Dowie season.

The two Pogs moments that stand out for me are his general performance against Stockport (without doubt the best GK performance I've ever seen), and when he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate Eyre's goal against QPR. He felt the elation everyone else did that day!

Best of luck Poggi...the man deserves the a huge send off. Give the bloke a testimonial! I like the idea about playing an Aussie eleven...or maybe we could get the 2002/03 season team back together?

I'm guessing Pogs wouldn't play though? What's Misstheballkelly up to?

We could get...

Stretch

One Size

Clint

Low

Eyresy

Dux

Muzza

Wayno

Beharall

Mini Shez

Carss

Julian

John Eyre?

and maybe even Carlo!

Littleturd could turn up for the half time entertainment...I'm sure we could think of something.

or maybe we could get the 2002/03 season team back together?

I'm guessing Pogs wouldn't play though? What's Misstheballkelly up to?

We could get...

Stretch

One Size

Clint

Low

Eyresy

Dux

Muzza

Wayno

Beharall

Mini Shez

Carss

Julian

John Eyre?

and maybe even Carlo!

Littleturd could turn up for the half time entertainment...I'm sure we could think of something.

Now that IS an idea! Would be a great day if we could get that team back together for a testimonial for Les and there isn't one player on there who you would say left the club on bad terms so i'm sure the vast majority of them would be happy to be a part of it. Maybe just not include Miskelly though, apparently he bad mouths the club quite a lot! Who was goalkeeping coach in the Dowie season, Rhodes?

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron Shez gives Les advice and admits to being arrogant about playing too long himself.

Shez’s warning for injury-hit ’keeper

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

LES POGLIACOMI has been warned to consider his longer-term life beyond football as he prepares for a mammoth spell out injured.

The Athletic ’keeper could be sidelined for 12 months with knee problems, effectively ending his Boundary Park career as he is out of contract in the summer.

Athletic boss John Sheridan knows all about serious injury, and he urged Pogliacomi (31) to look further than his days as a player.

There is a danger that the popular Australian may be forced to hang up his gloves.

Sheridan said: “I know how Les feels because I had my knee operated on in 1992 and the surgeon told me I would never be 100 per cent.

“I kept on playing longer than I should have done and I’ve suffered for it – I’m 43 and I need a knee replacement.

“You’ve got to think about these things. If I hadn’t been so arrogant in my attitude of wanting to play and play, I would have packed in four or five years earlier.

“It’s my own fault, but I wish someone had sat me down and talked to me because there were times when I shouldn’t have played.

“In Les’s case, he has to think about the future. He has a family to consider and needs to think about how it would affect him if he carried on.

“It’s a shame for him and a shame for us, but the important thing is to get the right advice and do what’s right for his future.

“He has had these knee injuries on and off for a couple of years, so he needs to get to the root of the problem and sort it out.

“It would be nice if he could get back playing again in a few months, but he has a lot of years ahead of him.”

Pogliacomi needs surgery to regenerate cartilage and, although he could delay the operation, the current condition of his knee is not up to the rigours of professional football.

Athletic are set to rely on number-one Mark Crossley, with Sheridan adding: “There are plenty of ’keepers out there if we need to bring somebody in.”

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Reply from AH after I emailed him saying I hoped Pogs will get a testimonial...

Joshua

Thanks for your email.

The club will do all they can to ensure Les is looked after.

I am sure we will be able to get him on the pitch before the end of the season so that fans can show him their appreciation.

Alan

Reading between the lines...we're definately not giving him a new contract and we're not giving him a testimonial...