Attention Broadway Standers!  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want to move to?

• Rocky Road End
    • Main Stand
    • Chaddy
    • Leave me alone, I don't even go in the NSM Stand

Yes that was the case.

In my opinion at Blackpool too many people believed the myth that no roof = no atmosphere and therefore didn't bother singing. A fraction of the numbers at Bristol Rovers a few weeks ago disproved the myth, and that wasn't a play off semi final.

It's not the roof or lack of it that's the problem, it's the number of people singing. I realise that not everyone wants to give positive vocal backing to the team- that's their prerogative and I gave up the hope that more people would share the responsiblity a long time ago. Unfortunately in larger crowds those that want to make some noise are just too thinly spread, never more so than at BP.

In reality there aren't that many sound waves within the Chaddy End to be reflected by the roof these days. I wish it was different, and wouldn't particularly care whether the fans in the wing stands could hear us. We're not doing it for you - make your own entertainment!

For one reason or another (most well documented) many of those prepared to create an atmosphere have drifted away from the Chaddy. The redevelopment of the ground gives us the opportunity to do something about it, by being organised and grouping together, wherever it may be.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion at Blackpool too many people believed the myth that no roof = no atmosphere and therefore didn't bother singing. A fraction of the numbers at Bristol Rovers a few weeks ago disproved the myth, and that wasn't a play off semi final.

It's not the roof or lack of it that's the problem, it's the number of people singing. I realise that not everyone wants to give positive vocal backing to the team- that's their prerogative and I gave up the hope that more people would share the responsiblity a long time ago. Unfortunately in larger crowds those that want to make some noise are just too thinly spread, never more so than at BP.

In reality there aren't that many sound waves within the Chaddy End to be reflected by the roof these days. I wish it was different, and wouldn't particularly care whether the fans in the wing stands could hear us. We're not doing it for you - make your own entertainment!

For one reason or another (most well documented) many of those prepared to create an atmosphere have drifted away from the Chaddy. The redevelopment of the ground gives us the opportunity to do something about it, by being organised and grouping together, wherever it may be.

Firstly I cannot comment on Bristol because I wasn't there and I don't know what the ground is like. However I do know enough about how sound waves work to say that both the Chaddy and Blackpool stand reduce the amount of noise that can be produced. In regards to Blackpool, people were trying to sing but the noise produced was rubbish. The fact that there was no roof to give shelter from the high winds meant that the chants did not carry very well.

At the end of the day I am in complete agreement that more people need to sing and I have said that for many a year. However, to just say that is the only issue is foolish. When it comes to most problems there are nomally several contributing factors and to increase the success of the solution, all factors should be looked at. In this case a stand with better acoustics would be better and in a Rocky Vs Chaddy fight, rocky would win. At the end of the day though, if we get the chaddy sorted out then this discussion becomes null and void.

Hmm you don't care if the wing stands can't hear you. Well how does that improve the overall atmosphere at the game????? I'm also a lot more noiser on my own than most of the chaddy anyway.

On a different note, went to see Sale play last night. Was in Stockports new end stand. Pretty impressive, good views and accoutics but absolultley no room what so ever.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

At the end of the day I am in complete agreement that more people need to sing and I have said that for many a year. However, to just say that is the only issue is foolish. When it comes to most problems there are nomally several contributing factors and to increase the success of the solution, all factors should be looked at. In this case a stand with better acoustics would be better and in a Rocky Vs Chaddy fight, rocky would win. At the end of the day though, if we get the chaddy sorted out then this discussion becomes null and void.

Hmm you don't care if the wing stands can't hear you. Well how does that improve the overall atmosphere at the game????? I'm also a lot more noiser on my own than most of the chaddy anyway.

I'm not claiming it is the only issue, but to me blaming the acoustics is putting the cart before the horse. The quality of the acoustics is only relevent if any noise is made.

It is apparent that the Chaddy End is struggling to provide an atmosphere, even within the Chaddy End. To add the pressure of producing the atmosphere for the whole ground is a little unfair, in my opinion. Sometimes I get the impression that some people (not suggesting you are one of them) in the wing stands are sitting in silence in order to judge whether the RRE is louder than the Chaddy rather than making a contribution themselves :) .

As you say, there is more to improving the atmosphere than acoustics and when a move does happen I believe that it will need some organisation (and assistance from the club) to ensure singers can group together more effectively than at present.

It's not as much to do with acoustics than it is with the amount of people who actually chant. There's the group at the left side (if you are looking at it from RRE ) of the Chaddy who make noise, you can hear them when they start chanting, but they are a minority, it's less than half of the left half of the stand you've got around 3 quarters of the stand who just sit there making little noise. The problem is primarily down to the amount of people chanting, not the architecture of the stand.

I will agree 100% that people need to chant for their to be noise. People are chanting though, not enough maybe but nonetheless people are chanting. Therefore if we give the chanting fans the tools to make there chanting more efficient then maybe we will see an improvement in noise levels throughout the ground.

I'm pretty sure I am the missing link though - just need a decent stand to be built first :grin:

Like I said early on in this thread (or maybe it was the other one), don't get your hopes up on moving to the RRE, it's not exactly the most simple move for the club to make.

I understand it's the one the club would like to make though!

I understand it's the one the club would like to make though!

why is it so difficult? would fans not bother to go to matches anymore just because they can't sit in the chaddy end? it only has historical value. the club should just announce the change before season tickets go on sale. give people the summer to get over it.

It's not as much to do with acoustics than it is with the amount of people who actually chant. There's the group at the left side (if you are looking at it from RRE ) of the Chaddy who make noise, you can hear them when they start chanting, but they are a minority, it's less than half of the left half of the stand you've got around 3 quarters of the stand who just sit there making little noise. The problem is primarily down to the amount of people chanting, not the architecture of the stand.

if you put the same group of fans into the rre i think they would be a lot louder and that surely would be down to acoustics do you not think?