Awards Dinner - A complaint

First I want to make it clear, this isn't a pop at anyone in particular. I posted the same thing last year on Jk and now that this is the official messageboard I will post the same.

The player of the season award should not be given out at some awards dinner. It should be given out on the last game of the season in ront of the home supporters who have watched them all season. As a Kid, (and to be fair as an adult) I have looked forward to seeing who would get it and or the last few years I have been really dissapointed that the club have chosen to do this at an awards dinner.

Some fans cant afford to go, some fans cant go and some just dont want to.

Home fans should have the right to aknowledge the player of the season at the last game. But only a few do.

I am not saying there shouldn't be some sort of fans dinner. If the club and some people want to do that then fine - but the player of the seaosn award should not be given out then. Its not their place to give it in front of 300 or so. Season ticket holders and fans who have supported the club all season deserve that, and the player himself deserves to be recoginised on a bigger scale.

It is something that has really annoyed me over the last few seasons and I do wonder why this trend has started? Is it so that the same people get to give out awards, get themselves in the paper, get closer to players and make themselves look as if they are important? Or am I cynical?

Everyone knows that its always the same people that go to these type of occaisions. Thats in all clubs from Local cricket teams, to the biggest teams in England. There is a Clique at all clubs. Latics is no different. I'm not slagging anyone off - but all clubs have it.

Since the awards dinner has started, I've not voted for my player of the season. And I wont. It does smack of a "Lets have a night out with our mates" Rather than including everyone - yes I know anyone can go, but most obviously wont and this is known what organising such occaisions.

The obvious response is - come to the dinner then. First - I can't afford it. But if all 3000 season ticket holders wanted a ticket would there be space? No. But if you asked every season ticket holder do they want the chance to aknowledge their player of the seaosn and see him be handed the award, I would suspect 99% would say yes.

I'm not saying this is a big burning issue - but its got my goat for a few years.

Guest M_OAFC

I suspect it has a lot more to do with trying to generate a few quid than a cliquey night out, which is probably a more valid reason but doesn't change the fact that most people don't get to see it so I can see your point and I've heard a lot of other people voice the same concern.

In fairness to the club, I recall that this time last year they were getting moaned at by people saying why haven't we organised an wards dinner yet, surely we've got to have one of those, what sort of a mickey mouse club are we etc etc so they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The obvious solution, as you touched upon, is to present it on the pitch and then still have an awards dinner anyway. But if you do have an awards dinner then the player of the season is obviously the "showpiece" award that gets presented at the end of the night and it would all become a bit of a farce if everybody already knew who'd won it before they got there.

I'm not saying I have the answers, just that it's a thorny issue and I can sympathise with both sides of the argument.

Guest M_OAFC
So, could you not have the fans player of the season award on the pitch at the last home game of the season and the players/sponsors player of the season award at the dinner?

Good idea

Or both? Have the dinner to raise money for the club and have all the presentations of the tinpots then at the last home game of the season have another presentation where say a cheque for £100 to the players favorite charity is presented, everyone's happy.

Alternatively what the hell are the club playing at having dinners like this for the players while the season is on? If we needed proof there is a drinking culture at our club, well not that we needed it! - then there it is. SHEZ OUT!

I am in agreement with this view point and also would like it presented on the pitch at the last Home Game of the season when all the fans can see it.

I am also in favour of a awards dinner if only to generate a few quid for the coffers but not at the expense of other fans missing the most important award of the season.

The awards night is Wednesday 23rd April. The last home game is Saturday 26th. Therefore the winner can be presented to the fans at the last game. Or am I missing the point? It doesnt matter if people already know who has won - everyone knows it will be Mark Allot anyway!

Guest M_OAFC
The awards night is Wednesday 23rd April. The last home game is Saturday 26th. Therefore the winner can be presented to the fans at the last game. Or am I missing the point? It doesnt matter if people already know who has won - everyone knows it will be Mark Allot anyway!

Blimey, didn't realise it was that early. There you go then, problem solved this year.

Or will fans object to knowing who's won before they see the on-field presentation :grin:

The being made was that the Player Of The Season should be revealed at the last home game of the season so everybody finds out at the same time

Or both? Have the dinner to raise money for the club and have all the presentations of the tinpots then at the last home game of the season have another presentation where say a cheque for £100 to the players favorite charity is presented, everyone's happy.

Alternatively what the hell are the club playing at having dinners like this for the players while the season is on? If we needed proof there is a drinking culture at our club, well not that we needed it! - then there it is. SHEZ OUT!

The reason why im not goin is because it is midweek. If they did it on a weekend after the season had finished then id def go!

So, could you not have the fans player of the season award on the pitch at the last home game of the season and the players/sponsors player of the season award at the dinner?

Good idea x 2!

I can't imagine the awards/end of season dinner would be any less well supported if the fans' awards were made on the pitch at our last home game.

i think the boundary blues player of the season is presented on the last home game of the season. i think it is anyway.

Tbh im a little dissappointed the awards dinner is on a wednesday night again. how many fans want to go to this type of event, and then have to get up for work the next morning? ill probably will still go, but it would be better on a friday night post season

But if you do have an awards dinner then the player of the season is obviously the "showpiece" award that gets presented at the end of the night and it would all become a bit of a farce if everybody already knew who'd won it before they got there.

Everybody will know who's won it before they get there anyway :grin:

To be honest, I don't think it matters when it's done, and the club can just present Mark, I mean 'whoever wins', with the award before the Cheltenham game so everyone can show their appreciation.

Wasn't it only the other day when some people were suggesting ideas how the club could generate a bit of money? Then a few days after the club get stick for trying to do something to generate a bit of money. TTA should build a brick wall at BP so they can bang their heads on it.

Wasn't it only the other day when some people were suggesting ideas how the club could generate a bit of money? Then a few days after the club get stick for trying to do something to generate a bit of money. TTA should build a brick wall at BP so they can bang their heads on it.

Yeah! Good point.

Shez out. He has go to pay for this. It is a joke, he just hasn't got a clue.

Edited by Rick

ill probably will still go, but it would be better on a friday night post season

Player awards dinners on a Friday night post season................when all the players have gone on holiday with their families? :wacko:

Leave it as it is on the Wednesday night, and then re-present the trophy to the winning player(s) on the pitch on the Saturday. Those that stump up to go to the awards get to see what they paid for then the rest of us get to show our appreciation to the player on the Saturday.

There hasn't been that much that I have ever complained about like that as even if I dont agree with an idea, I understand that TTA have the best interests of the club at heart (as we all do) Some posters to this board need to remember that we all do and we all want the club to succeed.

Thats not a pop @ you teets, I was talking generally.

I just feel and have felt for a few years that this isn't right.

Player awards dinners on a Friday night post season................when all the players have gone on holiday with their families? :wacko:

Leave it as it is on the Wednesday night, and then re-present the trophy to the winning player(s) on the pitch on the Saturday. Those that stump up to go to the awards get to see what they paid for then the rest of us get to show our appreciation to the player on the Saturday.

These players have such a hard life don't they. Change to the end of the season. A player isn't contracted just to perform on the pitch. Im sure they could move it to the end of the season and put their holidays back a week. The night would generate much more interest that way and maybe the players would have a better night too.

mock all you want, this is how it was done up until last year. And I very much doubt all the players will be rushing to go on holiday as soon as the final whistle on the season is blown.