Ernie Cooksey

Erm, could ourselves, or more likely Rochdale, not have a playoff game that day?

It's great that the club are doing it, but I can see it possibly having to be moved.

Maybe the idea is that we would get a later playoff match and have the Ernie one before in that case?

Maybe the idea is that we would get a later playoff match and have the Ernie one before in that case?

TV make the choice though don't they? If SKY want us or Dale to play on the Sunday afternoon, I'm not sure either side can refuse.

It would affect the attendance.

Not drastically. Realistically we have no chance of getting in the playoffs. Dale on the other hand only brought 500 (+ 1 :grin: ) in the away end for their 1st team friendly at BP the other year. He's held in high regard by them but it's hardly likely to have Dale fans rushing to a game between a select 11. You'd probably see about 100/200 Dale fans tops if they didnt have a game.

The likely playoff date already given to Dale is the saturday anyway.

I'll be popping along for that one. Not being funny though; we didn't/haven't done anything for Gary Kelly in a similar situation?

It's a tricky one that....and I don't want to do any injustice (or come across as insensitive to Gary's plight) but I'd suggest the difference is possibly that Gary Kelly has been in professional football for most of his footballing career and has a bit more behind him to battle his cancer. Whereas Ernie gave up a better paid job to give it a shot in football and won't have earned anything close to enough to fight this. Infact, he probably won't have earned much at all from football considering it was only a brief few years at lower levels in the game. I know it's a difficult comparison and I don't want to do anyone down......I'd be at both, if 2 were arranged.

Edited by boundaryblue80

It's a tricky one that....and I don't want to do any injustice (or come across as insensitive to Gary's plight) but I'd suggest the difference is possibly that Gary Kelly has been in professional football for most of his footballing career and has a bit more behind him to battle his cancer. Whereas Ernie gave up a better paid job to give it a shot in football and won't have earnt anything close to enough to fight this. I know it's a difficult comparison and I'd be at both, if 2 were arranged.

Fair points Ross. I'm also sure that when this news originally broke, Gary and his family wanted very little publicity and so maybe that has been taken into consideration as well.

Can't make the game as I'll be in Chicago, but will happily donate the admission fees for myself, the missus and the nipper.

You never offered us tickets to your theatre debut :grin:

Doh! If someone hadn't walked in the office yapping then I'd have got it!

Well done IC :lol:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Which Theatre are you on at Dan - I may come and watch? Are you playing Roxie Hart?

:grin:

How very dare you? :redcard:

I'm not bleaching my hair for anybody (it's changing colour at an alarming rate of it's own accord anyway)! :blush:

It's a tricky one that....and I don't want to do any injustice (or come across as insensitive to Gary's plight) but I'd suggest the difference is possibly that Gary Kelly has been in professional football for most of his footballing career and has a bit more behind him to battle his cancer. Whereas Ernie gave up a better paid job to give it a shot in football and won't have earned anything close to enough to fight this. Infact, he probably won't have earned much at all from football considering it was only a brief few years at lower levels in the game. I know it's a difficult comparison and I don't want to do anyone down......I'd be at both, if 2 were arranged.

TBH I was thinking about it after I posted and I'm in agreement. Obviously we won't ever know, but I guess Gary Kelly is in a better financial situation than 'our' Ernie.

Best wishes to both them in the battle they have ahead.