new season,fresh start

ok,little dissapointed we didnt manage to force the late surge,although deep down i really knew our season had finished weeks ago.

ok then next season.

think we seriously need to get in maybe 6 players,keeper a must,left winger a must left back a must.someone to help out allot in the middle he cant do it all himself.

what i would like to see is the manager now putting his foot down,and getting rid of these so called players that wont do as he says or tells them.

if the players dont respect the manager,you get nothing from them,and therefore let the team and the fans down whilst infuriating the manager.

admit he maybe needs help in some form from an old expoerienced head regarding transfer targets and so on.

next season is his watershed season,if he hasnt learnt anything from his first 2 seasons,then he wont make it as a boss.

bring it on,cant wait.

ok,little dissapointed we didnt manage to force the late surge,although deep down i really knew our season had finished weeks ago.

ok then next season.

think we seriously need to get in maybe 6 players,keeper a must,left winger a must left back a must.someone to help out allot in the middle he cant do it all himself.

what i would like to see is the manager now putting his foot down,and getting rid of these so called players that wont do as he says or tells them.

if the players dont respect the manager,you get nothing from them,and therefore let the team and the fans down whilst infuriating the manager.

admit he maybe needs help in some form from an old expoerienced head regarding transfer targets and so on.

next season is his watershed season,if he hasnt learnt anything from his first 2 seasons,then he wont make it as a boss.

bring it on,cant wait.

I would lose Gregan and Liddell, And in their place get in:

Keeper

Left winger

Centre Half

Striker

Central Mid

I also feel we dont need a left back, Kelvin has made that spot his own and deservedly so. We also have Black in as back up and Livermore (who i think would be the most important signing of the summer if he were to come) is more than capable of providing cover there as well.

obviously if we lose any squad players we need to look at replacing them as well. I would go after Jarrett and Livermore definatly. Livermore has the quality needed to get out of this league and Jarrett is awsome on his day. granted we havent seen enough of those days yet. I wouldnt say Shez needs anybody in with experience to give him a helping hand. he proved last year he can do it between him and Tommy. we have just had an awful lot of bad luck this year.

The most important signing this summer will be a physio. one who actually wants to be here.

but things arnt that simple and we will probably see our squad decimated by signings in the summer, AGAIN!!!!

I would lose Gregan and Liddell, And in their place get in:

Absolute rubbish... Liddell can sling his hook, but for me again Gregan was the best player on the park today... yet again... Hazell and Gregan is our CB back pairing next season......

Gregan is class, determined, aggrssive, and is the best CB in this division... I just cant understand anyone who doesnt see that...

Absolute rubbish... Liddell can sling his hook, but for me again Gregan was the best player on the park today... yet again... Hazell and Gregan is our CB back pairing next season......

Gregan is class, determined, aggrssive, and is the best CB in this division... I just cant understand anyone who doesnt see that...

gregan does have the ability i agree, but far too often he plays the stupid pass back, plays the oppo on side, blames everyone but himself and hasnt got the pace. you cant really knock our defence this year. we have had the odd slip at Hartlepool, Luton and Today, but overall they have been steady imo. Hazell and Stam are the first choice in my eyes, with someone else as cover. weather that is Thommo or A.N.Other i dont know, but Gregan will not be happy playing back up and if thats the case he can go for me.

gregan does have the ability i agree, but far too often he plays the stupid pass back, plays the oppo on side, blames everyone but himself and hasnt got the pace. you cant really knock our defence this year. we have had the odd slip at Hartlepool, Luton and Today, but overall they have been steady imo. Hazell and Stam are the first choice in my eyes, with someone else as cover. weather that is Thommo or A.N.Other i dont know, but Gregan will not be happy playing back up and if thats the case he can go for me.

Again, utterly disgree... stam will make far more mistake over the season than gregan... gregan offers leaderhip, control and skill, stam offers surface abilty, that a physical CF will abuse... test him, and he will be caught out positionally, in the air, and strenght wise...

Gregan is a better player in every department, he is stronger, better on the ball, and mentally more focused.... Stam is a bach up to gregan... anyone who doesnt see that just has a very short memory, or is distracted by superficial elements...

Gregan i sour club captain, and will be first choice next year.

Again, utterly disgree... stam will make far more mistake over the season than gregan... gregan offers leaderhip, control and skill, stam offers surface abilty, that a physical CF will abuse... test him, and he will be caught out positionally, in the air, and strenght wise...

Gregan is a better player in every department, he is stronger, better on the ball, and mentally more focused.... Stam is a bach up to gregan... anyone who doesnt see that just has a very short memory, or is distracted by superficial elements...

Gregan i sour club captain, and will be first choice next year.

But Stam's got a lovely girly hairstyle though.

Im not saying Thommo over Gregan BB, i would have gregan as back up every time to Stam and Hazell, but i dont think he will be happy with that at this stage in his career. Hazell and stam have done well this year together, and im a firm believer in the younger developing player, rather than someone who is basically playing for their pay cheque and realistically only has one season left with us at most. It is perfectly feasable Stam and Hazell could forge a partnership which will last us the next five or six years. you certainly couldnt say that about Gregan.

I have always said the same about this sort of arguement, and this is why i dont like the fact Beckham is still concidered for the England team. he has no future at that level and is holding back younger players who could do a good job there.

I'd keep Gregan defo his pace issue was heightened when he was alongside fellow slow buggers like Stam and Haining. Hazell has the pace to cover Gregan.

Not sure about Livermore, sure theres much better (and cheaper) options available. At times he reminded me of Rob Scott!!

I'd definitely get a left back in, Lomax is a good player but for me doesnt look comfortable on the left hand side.

Im not saying Thommo over Gregan BB, i would have gregan as back up every time to Stam and Hazell, but i dont think he will be happy with that at this stage in his career. Hazell and stam have done well this year together, and im a firm believer in the younger developing player, rather than someone who is basically playing for their pay cheque and realistically only has one season left with us at most. It is perfectly feasable Stam and Hazell could forge a partnership which will last us the next five or six years. you certainly couldnt say that about Gregan.

I have always said the same about this sort of arguement, and this is why i dont like the fact Beckham is still concidered for the England team. he has no future at that level and is holding back younger players who could do a good job there.

sorry but greegan will be captain next season,alongside hazell,to say stam n hazell can form a 5 year partnership,given stams injury problems is sheer lunacy.

yes greegan may have one year left,so do you not think he will have a storming season as player and captain and help take us up to the championship,where he would be offered a one year rolling contract???

develop the youngsters by all means,but you cant get his sort of experience overnight.

Yeah, I re-read what you put before and along with this, I get what you're saying. Personally though, it's a tough one. I'm a Stam fan, but even I've seen his errors and ability to switch off this season. Gregan has his faults too, I've been vocal about them in the past, but I can accept his mistakes just as long as he quits this having a go at others for his mistakes. For me, that's the one thing he has done this season when he's played (quitted that trait he had last season.) Ok, he's still fannied about on the ball at times and got himself stupidly booked, but that's why he's at our level. You have to accept he'll do that....one thing I won't accept is destroying the confidence of others around him which he did last season and I think he's been told to quit that. On the contrary he's addressed that, with comments like after Accy Stanley. For me, Gregan possibly noses back above Stam to partner Hazell and Stam is back up. And if Gregan does go back to blaming others for his errors, a rocket and a benching is the result which is all part of Shez and his management. No way I'd be getting rid though or saying to him that he's only here to play back-up. Do that and we're committing transfer suicide again.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Absolue rubbish. You pick player on their abilty, and what they offer the team.... not what player could do in a coule of years, its the same as the 'if they are good enough they are old enough debate' ... if they can do the job, they are in the team...

To say we should play a mistake ridden dutchman ahead of the best centre-back in this division purely because he will still be playing in 4 years is just wrong... Gregan is our leader, and is a better player now than stam will ever be... the fact that stam will still be playing loner than gegan makes no difference...

Absolue rubbish. You pick player on their abilty, and what they offer the team.... not what player could do in a coule of years, its the same as the 'if they are good enough they are old enough debate' ... if they can do the job, they are in the team...

To say we should play a mistake ridden dutchman ahead of the best centre-back in this division purely because he will still be playing in 4 years is just wrong... Gregan is our leader, and is a better player now than stam will ever be... the fact that stam will still be playing loner than gegan makes no difference...

obviously you play the older guy if its a choice between a 34/35 yr old or someone who should be playing on a sunday morning for the dog and duck, but if you have the choice 2 players of similar ability, both have their weaknesses, you choose the younger option in my eyes. You talk as though Stam isnt capable to lace Gregans boots. Gregan is not God like you seem to think. He was awsome up until we gave him a contract, then its been down hill since.

To say Gregan is the best centre back in the league is tosh. He isnt even the best centre back at the club.

obviously you play the older guy if its a choice between a 34/35 yr old or someone who should be playing on a sunday morning for the dog and duck, but if you have the choice 2 players of similar ability, both have their weaknesses, you choose the younger option in my eyes. You talk as though Stam isnt capable to lace Gregans boots. Gregan is not God like you seem to think. He was awsome up until we gave him a contract, then its been down hill since.

To say Gregan is the best centre back in the league is tosh. He isnt even the best centre back at the club.

Yes he is! :tongue:

Its a cyclical debate matey, and those are my opinions - for me, on this seasons evidence, Stam isnt fit to lace Gregans boots, I'm sick of Ruubes time and time again having to cover for his mistakes and lack of concentration... you say greegs make mistakes - he does, but he also knows his weaknesses and compensates for his lack of pace with his touch and positioning... Stam just does terrible stuff and believes (as do a lot of latics fans) that he has more ability than he has...

And again... Gregan and Ruubes was our best CB partnership this season... it only lasted for 4/5 games but it was flawless - and what changed our fortunes... and it will be the CB pairing next season... to say he hasnt performed since he got his contract is a selective generalisation...

... I'm bored of watching Stam, and couldn care less if he is with us next season.... I see Thommo as being a similar player, so would be inclined to see what he can do, IF he makes it through pre-season... and that s a big if!

Sheridan didn't sound very happy, did he? His match comments gave a lot away. I think we could see a clear out. I'm not gonna say where we need to improve. I'm gonna sit back, and see what Shez is gonna do.

"Players that play brilliantly last week and then play this way this week are no good to me, and there's that magic word again -- consistency," he said."

He might get rid of the entire squad, then...

Sheridan didn't sound very happy, did he? His match comments gave a lot away. I think we could see a clear out. I'm not gonna say where we need to improve. I'm gonna sit back, and see what Shez is gonna do.

"Players that play brilliantly last week and then play this way this week are no good to me, and there's that magic word again -- consistency," he said."

yes but to be fair he has made these comments all season long hasnt he,in some form or other....i would like to see him drop said players,even if it means blooding some more young ones,i would also like to see if doncaster dont go up wellens return to play alongside allot.

shez is still a big fan of his,although i doubt it would happen.

next season hopefully we wont have as many injuries,but i want him to start standing by his comments next season,and if they dont perform drop them,make em train with the kids,show them who is in charge and if they dont do as there asked and trained to do...so long,get rid

He's he genius that Shez isn't he.

I nearly said in the first half that Stam hadn't put a foot wrong all game, but stopped myself before I transfered the curse that I gave Rubes at Luton over to him. It didn't work though, he completely needlessly got himself into trouble again. He's just a little bit less good than he thinks he is and it gets us into bother. Greegs and Rubes are both much better defenders than Stam.

Very worrying though that I remember those exact comments this time last year, as we dropped like a stone from 2nd and treaded water around 6th. He has to get it right this summer....or else....

Yes he is! :tongue:

Its a cyclical debate matey, and those are my opinions - for me, on this seasons evidence, Stam isnt fit to lace Gregans boots, I'm sick of Ruubes time and time again having to cover for his mistakes and lack of concentration... you say greegs make mistakes - he does, but he also knows his weaknesses and compensates for his lack of pace with his touch and positioning... Stam just does terrible stuff and believes (as do a lot of latics fans) that he has more ability than he has...

And again... Gregan and Ruubes was our best CB partnership this season... it only lasted for 4/5 games but it was flawless - and what changed our fortunes... and it will be the CB pairing next season... to say he hasnt performed since he got his contract is a selective generalisation...

... I'm bored of watching Stam, and couldn care less if he is with us next season.... I see Thommo as being a similar player, so would be inclined to see what he can do, IF he makes it through pre-season... and that s a big if!

Bigfin, while you do have some valid comments on all 3 defenders I'm quietly getting a bit miffed at your slagging off of Stam to prove just how highly you rate Gregan. Yep, it's clear who the better player is but you're being extremely unfair on Stam IMO. He's finally proved his fitness (which originally got his detractors backs up) and came in a covered well for a time. Ok, he's struggled at times for form (so has Gregan at times in his Latics career) but games like Everton away show just what Stam can do. He does have it in his locker. Yep, he's making mistakes at the end of his first full season for years.....it's going to happen. Give him some slack tho eh?!? Love Gregan all you want, but try and be a bit fairer.....you usually are a lot fairer than you're being on this one. IMO, of course :wink: