Should Cardiff play in Europe?

Haven't seen this discussed on here...as far as I see the issue, all three Welsh clubs entered the FA Cup knowing that they wouldn't qualify for the UEFA Cup if they won it. They never bothered challenging it because they never envisaged that they'd make the final. That's their own fault...they know the rules at the start of campaign and they should therefore abide by them.

In the end, I can't see it mattering. I reckon Pompey will beat them, and even if Cardiff do lift the Cup and the FA say they won't let them in, then UEFA will grant them a wildcard like they did for Liverpool and the Champions League to avoid controversy.

This maybe my Welsh heritage showing through but as far as I'm concerned Cardiff are an English club which just happens to be in Wales. They are in our league, they play in our cup (and they don't play in the Welsh one). If it was say Llanelli who were in the final of the FA cup then I'd say no they shouldn't be allowed into Europe but Cardiff don't play in any FAW competetions as far as I'm aware so should be classed as an English club which just happens to be in Wales. Kind of like how Berwick are a Scottish club which just happens to be in England (for the moment). But honestly I can't see it mattering as i think Pompey will beat them but stranger things have happened in this year's competition

Edited by rudemedic

If it does happen Cardiff should definately be in UEFA cup, if they will let the welsh top team go in europe, then cardiff should be allowed in,

they join our competitions so are an english club and should be treated the same,

otherwise what have they got to look forward to??

if they get to premiership and this rule stands then they have nothing to play for apart from the league championship (which will always be uniteds, chelseas arsenals or liverpools) so they cant play for a spot in europe, thus no big names will want to join,

very unfair

If it does happen Cardiff should definately be in UEFA cup, if they will let the welsh top team go in europe, then cardiff should be allowed in,

they join our competitions so are an english club and should be treated the same,

if they get to premiership and this rule stands then they have nothing to play for apart from the league championship (which will always be uniteds, chelseas arsenals or liverpools) so they cant play for a spot in europe, thus no big names will want to join,

very unfair

So you'll be on the side of allowing Celtic and Rangers into English football then? Seriously, :censored: em! They shouldn't be in the English leagues anyway....and the rules are already outlined. It'd be an absolute joke if they got into Europe through it. Be a bit like Wigan doing so :wink::grin:

Go on Pompey.....put the Welsh back in their box!

PS Hope people supporting Cardiffs plight haven't forgotten Ridsdale's words when it looked like we were going under!!! Phookem!!!

This maybe my Welsh heritage showing through but as far as I'm concerned Cardiff are an English club which just happens to be in Wales. They are in our league, they play in our cup (and they don't play in the Welsh one). If it was say Llanelli who were in the final of the FA cup then I'd say no they shouldn't be allowed into Europe but Cardiff don't play in any FAW competetions as far as I'm aware so should be classed as an English club which just happens to be in Wales. Kind of like how Berwick are a Scottish club which just happens to be in England (for the moment). But honestly I can't see it mattering as i think Pompey will beat them but stranger things have happened in this year's competition

very unfair

I agree with the principle that when they play in English competitions they should be treated the same as an English club. However when they transgress in English Competitions, and there was the classic in the F.A. Cup at home to dirty Leeds, with Sam 'the Man' whipping up the hooligans behind the goal, it is ruled that they are outside the F.A.'s jurisdiction, and therefore have to be dealt with by the F.A. of Wales. Each time the Welsh F.A. has 'dealt' with them it has only amounted to a mild slap on the wrist.

So Cardiff have the best of both worlds - the club plays in England but is outside the F.A.'s jurisdiction, which is like having an unexploded bomb in our midst. Their fans have a bad reputation and they hate the English, which is their prerogative but, if allowed into Europe representing England, it could result in those fans getting English clubs banned from Europe and the England national team banned from UEFA and even FIFA competitions.

So the simple answer to the question in this thread is NO!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

So you'll be on the side of allowing Celtic and Rangers into English football then? Seriously, :censored: em! They shouldn't be in the English leagues anyway....and the rules are already outlined. It'd be an absolute joke if they got into Europe through it. Be a bit like Wigan doing so :wink::grin:

PS Hope people supporting Cardiffs plight haven't forgotten Ridsdale's words when it looked like we were going under!!! Phookem!!!

Spot on, they where aware of the rules at the start of the season so if they don't like it go and play in the league of Wales.

Play Up Pompey

There are precedents for this situation, such as when English clubs have won the Welsh Cup.

Can you guess what the outcome was on those occasions?

The UEFA bigwigs who have sympathy for Cardiff have obviously never watched a match from the away end at Ninian Park. Play Up Pompey!

One crucial difference there BB80, Scotland is a separate country, whilst Wales* is a subjugated province of England.

*Excluding the Independant People's Republic of Anglesey

Cardiff do play in the welsh fa cup but l do think they should be entered into the uefa cup. They should be taken out of the welsh fa cup.

Cardiff do play in the welsh fa cup but l do think they should be entered into the uefa cup. They should be taken out of the welsh fa cup.

I'm pretty sure none of the teams in the English pyramid (I think there's 6 teams in all) are allowed in the FAW Cup these days.

They actually play in the FAW Premier Cup which is different to the FAW cup. The FAW Cup is the Welsh FA Cup which offers a place in Europe, whilst the FAW Premier Cup is an invitational cup including Wrexham, Swansea and Cardiff, and no Uefa place.

no way should they be let in the UEFA Cup - well not with one of the places allocated to the English FA anyway. If UEFA want to give them a wild card (in the, God forbid, eventuality they win) then that's up to them.

They want it both ways - when Cardiff used to qualify for Europe on the strength of winning the Welsh Cup the English teams who used to win it (Shrewsbury definitely, Hereford?) were never allowed to qualify for Europe.

They actually play in the FAW Premier Cup which is different to the FAW cup. The FAW Cup is the Welsh FA Cup which offers a place in Europe, whilst the FAW Premier Cup is an invitational cup including Wrexham, Swansea and Cardiff, and no Uefa place.

Wrexham have a star on their shirt for every time they have won the FAW Premier Cup - how sad is that?

On a similar topic, once Wrexham are out of the League, do we ever have to let them back in? :devilish:

no way should they be let in the UEFA Cup - well not with one of the places allocated to the English FA anyway. If UEFA want to give them a wild card (in the, God forbid, eventuality they win) then that's up to them.

They want it both ways - when Cardiff used to qualify for Europe on the strength of winning the Welsh Cup the English teams who used to win it (Shrewsbury definitely, Hereford?) were never allowed to qualify for Europe.

Since European participation began the following English clubs have won the Welsh Cup, and been denied entry to Europe

Shrewsbury 84-85, 83-84, 78-79

Hereford 89-90

In the 1933-34 season the two Finalists were Bristol City and Tranmere - an all English Welsh Cup Final!