A John Harbin figure

After thinking about consistency and determination to win the only time I can remember this sort of happenings behind the scene was when Dowie was here and John Harbin was the sort of "fitness" coach. All the slogans and will to win was always seen in the games. Maybe this had something to do with our achievement of reaching the playoffs and looking like a solid team that year.

I think with Shezs comments recently about not being mentally strong enough if someone could be brought in to take over that role for us now. It cant do any wrong and on past achievements seemed to work. The key to this league is consistency and if players are consistently motivated and have a consistent desire to win then theirs no reason we cant do what Carlisle have done this year and what Scunthorpe and Colchester have done in recent seasons.

The team we had under Dowie wasnt a lot better than what we have now and their is also a hell of a lot of potential in this squad. If we got the young players enjoying fotball instead of being moaned at each week then we could be in with a big shout next year.

After thinking about consistency and determination to win the only time I can remember this sort of happenings behind the scene was when Dowie was here and John Harbin was the sort of "fitness" coach. All the slogans and will to win was always seen in the games. Maybe this had something to do with our achievement of reaching the playoffs and looking like a solid team that year.

I think with Shezs comments recently about not being mentally strong enough if someone could be brought in to take over that role for us now. It cant do any wrong and on past achievements seemed to work. The key to this league is consistency and if players are consistently motivated and have a consistent desire to win then theirs no reason we cant do what Carlisle have done this year and what Scunthorpe and Colchester have done in recent seasons.

The team we had under Dowie wasnt a lot better than what we have now and their is also a hell of a lot of potential in this squad. If we got the young players enjoying fotball instead of being moaned at each week then we could be in with a big shout next year.

What exactly was the Infrastructure of the back room set up under dowie? was it just a case of the same as now plus John Harbin (fitness conditioner)?

What exactly was the Infrastructure of the back room set up under dowie? was it just a case of the same as now plus John Harbin (fitness conditioner)?

I think so yes, besides Shez and T. Wright were youth team, Philliskirk reserves and I have a memory blank as to who was Dowies assistant.

I think so yes, besides Shez and T. Wright were youth team, Philliskirk reserves and I have a memory blank as to who was Dowies assistant.

It was David Cross I think up untill itwas announced we were in dire financial straits, then cross was released as part of cost cutting

Edited by Lookers_Carl

there must of been something about having a bloke like that!!

you only have to look at some of the players we had then, and what one or two of them are doing now........

thing is you could argue he hasn't been able to replicate it anywhere else (well apart from that initial run at palace! ??)

also i think that harbin was more than an added 'extra' sort of thing...i remember the ugly one being interviewed on tv, and the reporter got him a bit wound up... harbin could be heard in the background saying stuff like..."look, what have we talked about?, don't get mad..get...." etc etc etc

Harbin is a psychologist who also does the fitness side of things rather than a trainer with good motivational skills. Although him and Davros did have the players seeming very determined, which you could see from the number of games where we earned the win or draw in the last few minutes, I’m not sure that’s all there was to it. IMO it’s nonsense to say that that team was on a par with ours, it was a lot stronger, and especially so in it’s depth. There was a wealth of experience in his squad, combined with a selection of some of the most promising young players at our level. And John Eyre. No doubt Harbin helped but I think the fact is that Davros was able to sign a lot of players who already had the winning mentality he was looking for.

agree about the youngsters but your never going to get the boo boys to cheer, ive tried and failed miserably.

im a shez in but if we did lose shez i would like to give dowie another go, he did the job before without any money, he even wasnt geting paid himself and still managed to motivate players to get to a playoff place, so would be interesting to see how he does when he has money to spend

agree about the youngsters but your never going to get the boo boys to cheer, ive tried and failed miserably.

im a shez in but if we did lose shez i would like to give dowie another go, he did the job before without any money, he even wasnt geting paid himself and still managed to motivate players to get to a playoff place, so would be interesting to see how he does when he has money to spend

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is that a whoosh? He got us into the play-offs with the second highest wage bill in the division, and he was the highest paid manager in the division, despite not having a contract. Shame he still felt the need to “forget” to leave his car when he sneaked off to Palace.

I thought he wasnt getting paid towards the end of the season? :S o well scratch that last comment then!

Even if Dowie wasn't getting paid, he'd still had a huge amount of cash to splash at this level.

£150,000 for Beharall

£200,000 for Killen

£250,000 for Hill

Add to that the money that we'd already spent on Armstrong (£100,000) and the wages that went with attracting the likes of Wijnhard and Low etc.

That's waht always gets me when the pundits suck up to Dowie about how he did it at Oldham on a shoestring! Shoestring MY ARSE!!

I thought he wasnt getting paid towards the end of the season? :S o well scratch that last comment then!

We never defaulted on wages, although they were delayed at times and it’s fair to say that they faced the prospect of being left with nowt if the club did go under. I think old melted lego face was only in the same boat as the players. I got a bit of a jolt when I saw that old article that someone posted up the other day from when Ridsdale declined an interest in us (praise the Lord!), I had forgotten that Fitz had served notice that he would walk if we missed the deadline to pay delayed wages, as that lad at Rotherham did the other week. He also took up an offer that got us a lot less than Everton were willing to pay, so a bit of a sour taste left by someone who was a real favourite at the time.

The team we had under Dowie wasnt a lot better than what we have now

No offence like, but that is the most ridiculous comment I've read on here for a long, long time and I'm amazed no-one else has picked up on it. Nope, it wasn't much better......it was universes apart!

He got us into the play-offs with the second highest wage bill in the division, and he was the highest paid manager in the division, despite not having a contract.
He also tried to sue the club after he left,claiming they owed him wages.

I can't see him ever being invited back TBH.

He also tried to sue the club after he left,claiming they owed him wages.

I can't see him ever being invited back TBH.

They did owe him wages. Just like they owed the players, which they honoured but didn't honour what Dowie was owed. You wouldn't sue your former employers who owed you money....or is the excuse that the "company" changed hands means he shouldn't still be owed the money?

No offence like, but that is the most ridiculous comment I've read on here for a long, long time and I'm amazed no-one else has picked up on it. Nope, it wasn't much better......it was universes apart!

:stupid::tongue1:

IMO it’s nonsense to say that that team was on a par with ours, it was a lot stronger, and especially so in it’s depth. There was a wealth of experience in his squad, combined with a selection of some of the most promising young players at our level. And John Eyre. No doubt Harbin helped but I think the fact is that Davros was able to sign a lot of players who already had the winning mentality he was looking for.

We've been over the Dowie wages/grand theft auto business enough times over the years, so I will restrict myself to pointing out that he is a lying turd who steals children's toys.

I had forgotten that Fitz had served notice that he would walk if we missed the deadline to pay delayed wages, as that lad at Rotherham did the other week. He also took up an offer that got us a lot less than Everton were willing to pay, so a bit of a sour taste left by someone who was a real favourite at the time.

loyalty doesn't pay the mortgage though eh? a young lad getting started in the game (ok had been a youth somewhere or other and a bit part on a prety bizarre film!!) must have been knocked sideways when it all went pear shaped!

i don't think you can blame him for looking after number one, when we days away from extinction....

see where you're coming from though.... but personally, i wouldn't hold it against him...

loyalty doesn't pay the mortgage though eh? a young lad getting started in the game (ok had been a youth somewhere or other and a bit part on a prety bizarre film!!) must have been knocked sideways when it all went pear shaped!

i don't think you can blame him for looking after number one, when we days away from extinction....

see where you're coming from though.... but personally, i wouldn't hold it against him...

i think it was the fact that he got on the microphone at the benefit game and announced he was going nowhere then promptly went somewhere that did it for most people