Player positions

today we saw a few players playing out of their standard positions, but did they come off? Although I would say they all did well enough, I personally wouldnt say they all did well enough for me to say " I would give him a spot there every week".

Smalley - Although in the youth and reserve teams he is considered a striker, at first team level, he should be considered a winger. Therefore he was out of his region today, and i must say that is the best game he has had in that position in the first team. The assist for Taylors goal was one of the best I have seen this season and he ran at, and turned his man time after time. was my man of the match today, and This move definatly came off.

Eardley - Did well in the centre today. battled hard in an unfamiliar position and won a far few challenges. along with Allott, sured the midfield up to such an extent the play was almost entirely played in the Leyton Orient half. ten out of ten. However, Im not sure a midfield of Allott and Eardley would give you the creative flair you require, and for me, in a midfield role, they are too similar. Eardley and Allott both had good games, but I wouldnt be sure about that midfield against a Swansea or a Leeds. too defensive. wouldnt conceed many, however, how many would we score? Well played to both of them tho.

Hazell - Again, Like Eardley, had a good game, but doesnt look any where near as comfortable at right back as he does in the centre. In a competition with Eardley, Eardley would win every time. Not That I dont like Hazell, far from it, He has run Allott very close for player of the season this year, but im not too sure i like him at right back. He can do a job, but full time? no thanks.

All in all, I think the team looked balenced today, and they all performed well without ever coming out of second gear. none of the gambles disgraced themselves and they would all be worth another shot in them positions, but with a fully fit squad, they wouldnt be playing their again. Well done lads, I think you showed today this team has more flexability than we give them credit for.

Don't agree Hazell was out of position. He is known to play both CB and RB, just as Gregan can play CB and CM. Hazells played RB many times this season....most notably Leeds away. Scoring a screamer in the process.

As for Eardley....it's clear why he was played there today IMO. Sadly, like I see the captaincy thing with him, this just seemed a stunt of playing him there to increase his "stock" value. He's gone from being a very good RB for us, to a Welsh international, to a team Captain at 19, to now a midfield playmaker. He did well today, but he's not going to be playing that for us next season if he's still here, injuries or not. Simply done to raise the asking price, IMO. Fair enough I suppose.....we've nothing else to do in these last few games. And if we do sell, I'd hope a chunk goes back into the playing side to push on.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Don't agree Hazell was out of position. He is known to play both CB and RB, just as Gregan can play CB and CM. Hazells played RB many times this season....most notably Leeds away. Scoring a screamer in the process.

As for Eardley....it's clear why he was played there today IMO. Sadly, like I see the captaincy thing with him, this just seemed a stunt of playing him there to increase his "stock" value. He's gone from being a very good RB for us, to a Welsh international, to a team Captain at 19, to now a midfield playmaker. He did well today, but he's not going to be playing that for us next season if he's still here, injuries or not. Simply done to raise the asking price, IMO. Fair enough I suppose.....we've nothing else to do in these last few games. And if we do sell, I'd hope a chunk goes back into the playing side to push on.

Id disagree didnt go to the game yesterday but i think Eardley does possess a lot of attributes useful to the middle of the park. He can tackle, he is full of energy, his short passing isnt too bad (especially compared to his longer balls), he is comfortable at carrying the ball forward and he has a powerful shot.

Id disagree didnt go to the game yesterday but i think Eardley does possess a lot of attributes useful to the middle of the park. He can tackle, he is full of energy, his short passing isnt too bad (especially compared to his longer balls), he is comfortable at carrying the ball forward and he has a powerful shot.

Agree there – both me and BP1960, who I taught every he knows about scouting, have advocated giving Eardley a run in the middle of the park. He’s got bags of energy, comfortable on the ball, he can tackle. Also, if he gets a few opportunities to crack a ball from distance one of them is going to fly in, it gives us another option with balls breaking from set plays. Maybe next season we could play Lomax at RB and move Taylor to LB? :peepwall: I agree with BB80 that Eardley probably won’t play there next season, but you just never know. I think he was tending at times to drift deeper than he ought to have done but that’s hardly surprising being so far removed from his normal spot.

Rueben does a job at RB, I’ve no concerns about him filling in there but he clearly offers more in the middle. I think he could also step into a midfield position if needed, although a more defensive one than Eardley showed. As for Smalley, I don’t really think he has a problem playing anywhere in the forward line. None of us really know where he will end up playing, he might be a Warneyesque utility man. I still think he could do a lot of damage picking the ball up behind the front two.

Guest oa_exile
Eardley - Did well in the centre today. battled hard in an unfamiliar position and won a far few challenges. along with Allott, sured the midfield up to such an extent the play was almost entirely played in the Leyton Orient half. ten out of ten. However, Im not sure a midfield of Allott and Eardley would give you the creative flair you require, and for me, in a midfield role, they are too similar. Eardley and Allott both had good games, but I wouldnt be sure about that midfield against a Swansea or a Leeds. too defensive. wouldnt conceed many, however, how many would we score? Well played to both of them tho.

Well, Allott scored, and Eardley forced their 'keeper into a very good save. They could've had a goal apiece there, and we also looked a threat in other positions, so I don't think goal-scoring would be a problem.

Agree there – both me and BP1960, who I taught every he knows about scouting, have advocated giving Eardley a run in the middle of the park. He’s got bags of energy, comfortable on the ball, he can tackle. Also, if he gets a few opportunities to crack a ball from distance one of them is going to fly in, it gives us another option with balls breaking from set plays. Maybe next season we could play Lomax at RB and move Taylor to LB? :peepwall: I agree with BB80 that Eardley probably won’t play there next season, but you just never know. I think he was tending at times to drift deeper than he ought to have done but that’s hardly surprising being so far removed from his normal spot.

Rueben does a job at RB, I’ve no concerns about him filling in there but he clearly offers more in the middle. I think he could also step into a midfield position if needed, although a more defensive one than Eardley showed. As for Smalley, I don’t really think he has a problem playing anywhere in the forward line. None of us really know where he will end up playing, he might be a Warneyesque utility man. I still think he could do a lot of damage picking the ball up behind the front two.

Some interesting snippets there , dont disregard the potential of an Allott-Eardley midfield partnership at this stage.

Worth another look or two IMO , couple ferett's in midfield , win the ball and distribute it out the wingers (decent one's required).

Remember Milligan and Henry ? :wink: worked well in "dem der days" :)

Some interesting snippets there , dont disregard the potential of an Allott-Eardley midfield partnership at this stage.

Worth another look or two IMO , couple ferett's in midfield , win the ball and distribute it out the wingers (decent one's required).

Remember Milligan and Henry ? :wink: worked well in "dem der days" :)

Yes. Bearing in mind that we were looking very like starting the season with Allott and JP in the middle – on yesterday’s performance I think Eardley and Allott offers more going forward and not necessarily anything less defensively. Them two with a pair of flying wingers (obviously Liddell and A N Other :wink: ) and it could be a handy midfield. Or... some arrangement with Liddell in front of those two? There’s certainly options worth thinking about.

Doncaster manager O'Driscoll was at BP on Saturday. Could he have been looking at Eardley and/or Taylor for a possible move to the Keepmoat if they get promoted?

If so he will have been impressed with both.

There again he could have been watching a Leyton Orient player and gone away very disappointed

drw1909

Yes. Bearing in mind that we were looking very like starting the season with Allott and JP in the middle – on yesterday’s performance I think Eardley and Allott offers more going forward and not necessarily anything less defensively. Them two with a pair of flying wingers (obviously Liddell and A N Other :wink: ) and it could be a handy midfield. Or... some arrangement with Liddell in front of those two? There’s certainly options worth thinking about.

Think everyone is forgetting the 4-5-1 formation that worked so well for us at Donny and Huddersfield - I like this formation, and is the new 'in formation' as used by Liverpool and england... to play this formation you need the two anchoring midfield players - which eardley and Allott would do admirably - as you say MR lids could do this role... but if we could hold on to Jarrett, that would be a better option as he has already proved...

What this formation also does is takes out the need for anyone particulalry creative in the centre... its all about pressure and husltle... and the attacking player bringing the ball forward and playing the link role to support the striker... something else which makes me think that a Jarrett would be better than a liddell...

You also need two flying wingers who will cut inside and make a 4-3-3 ... meaning also playing a wide player on the wrong side would work...

for me, a 4-5-1 looking like the following would be a great formation - and really exciting.....

.......Allott ........ Eardley

Davies..... Jarrett........Taylor

................Hughes

However - I dont for a second think Eardley will be here next year! But that formation looks great to me....

Edited by BigfinLatic

................Hughes

never really thought about playing with that formation before hudds, but i do agree it looks very good. would cut out the need for the extra striker as well because lewis and davies could cover it with liddell possably covering the wing? what would it mean for macca though?

never really thought about playing with that formation before hudds, but i do agree it looks very good. would cut out the need for the extra striker as well because lewis and davies could cover it with liddell possably covering the wing? what would it mean for macca though?

I think it fits us really well.... Hughesy can play the lone striker easily at this level - with Taylor, Davies and (JJ, lids whomever) bombing forward, knowing there is a solid cental midfield to cover them - you would also need two stay at home full backs, and Lomax and Ruubes (with Greegs in the centre) would cover that...

I think Macca would still have a future.... he could play the forward playing central midfielder - he is always best when he is just told to get into the box... the formation sort of takes away the creating elsement which he is terrible at, as all it really means is get the ball to the feet of the attackers and watch them run... would be really exciting to see it working with Taylor, Davies, Hughes and Jarret essentially just told to interchange and attack.....

As you say... Lewis, Lidds and Smalley could then cover for any of the 'forward three' midfield positions.... I think you would need another striker though... still need a 'big lump' to give another option up top... as I dont think Davies, Smalley or Ales have the physical presence or experience yet to play that role.... a Clareke or Constantine defo could though.... It also would allow a place in the squad for JP.. instead of eards if he moves on....

... I like it....

Edited by BigfinLatic

I think it fits us really well.... Hughesy can play the lone striker easily at this level - with Taylor, Davies and (JJ, lids whomever) bombing forward, knowing there is a solid cental midfield to cover them - you would also need two stay at home full backs, and Lomax and Ruubes (with Greegs in the centre) would cover that...

I think Macca would still have a future.... he could play the forward playing central midfielder - he is always best when he is just told to get into the box... the formation sort of takes away the creating elsement which he is terrible at, as all it really means is get the ball to the feet of the attackers and watch them run... would be really exciting to see it working with Taylor, Davies, Hughes and Jarret essentially just told to interchange and attack.....

As you say... Lewis, Lidds and Smalley could then cover for any of the 'forward three' midfield positions.... I think you would need another striker though... still need a 'big lump' to give another option up top... as I dont think Davies, Smalley or Ales have the physical presence or experience yet to play that role.... a Clareke or Constantine defo could though.... It also would allow a place in the squad for JP.. instead of eards if he moves on....

... I like it....

Agreed with most of what you said with the exception of 2 small items:

1) Liddell - BOMBING forward. Ambling more like.

2) Either of the 2 'big lump' forwards would be good, but that depends on how we play with them. Constantine likes the ball to his chest or feet whereas Clarke appears to be the 'big and daft' sort of forward who would make himself a real handful by any means possible.

KEEP THE FAITH

Agreed with most of what you said with the exception of 2 small items:

1) Liddell - BOMBING forward. Ambling more like.

2) Either of the 2 'big lump' forwards would be good, but that depends on how we play with them. Constantine likes the ball to his chest or feet whereas Clarke appears to be the 'big and daft' sort of forward who would make himself a real handful by any means possible.

KEEP THE FAITH

:lol:

Totally agree! Having liddell play there would chance the pace and er... dynamic of the formation, but it still could work, especially with two others just behind him doing all his running... for me it is the only position he has a future at the club in (he aint a winger no-more - and defo not in that formation)... but also you would need a first choice ahead of him, but he would b a good last 20 minutes/10 starts a season player....

Agree too with the forwards - however, my statemmetn of a big lump may have been a little wide... you just need a player exactly as you put - that is a handful... can occupy the defenders, and drag players out of position for the wide players to run into space... Rooney does this brilliantly for United... Hughes is ideal for this role... but you just need someone who has a bit of strength about then, and is experienced enough to pull it off...

Morrell did this for the lashers very well last season... and he aint exactly big... I could see ales doing it in a couple of years, but he needs a bit more strength and experience...

Guest oa_exile

Lump = Ricketts 2007/08 season

I have any idea for Shez let's blow all our transfer kitty and a big % of the playing budget on a lump , any ideas ?

Lump = Clarke 2008/09 season

Lump = Ricketts 2007/08 season

I have any idea for Shez let's blow all our transfer kitty and a big % of the playing budget on a lump , any ideas ?

Lump = Clarke 2008/09 season

Clarke is my first choice - always has been....

Constantine would do for me too...

Elding was also highly rated... however dirty Leeds got in there first...

Horsfield - Cant remember if he landed anywhere...

Showumni - However we would never get him...

Beckett - not for me, however some would like him back...

Poul Hubertz - Always thought this guy can cause trouble - fits the bill exactly....

Andy Kirk - Doubt we will get him from Yeovil - but like him a lot..

Steve Brooker - If city go up - he will defo be available..

Dennis Oli - Random one this - but liked him every time i've seen him... On TV and at BP - causes trouble...

Freddie eastwood - Not a big lump - but can play up top on his own...

Its all a mtter of opinion exile - I think we need that type of player and I think so does shez - some of the ones above would cost a lot.. some wouldnt... but I think one is needed in the squad...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Guest oa_exile
Clarke is my first choice - always has been....

Constantine would do for me too...

Elding was also highly rated... however dirty Leeds got in there first...

Horsfield - Cant remember if he landed anywhere...

Showumni - However we would never get him...

Beckett - not for me, however some would like him back...

Poul Hubertz - Always thought this guy can cause trouble - fits the bill exactly....

Andy Kirk - Doubt we will get him from Yeovil - but like him a lot..

Steve Brooker - If city go up - he will defo be available..

Dennis Oli - Random one this - but liked him every time i've seen him... On TV and at BP - causes trouble...

Freddie eastwood - Not a big lump - but can play up top on his own...

Its all a mtter of opinion exile - I think we need that type of player and I think so does shez - some of the ones above would cost a lot.. some wouldnt... but I think one is needed in the squad...

Add

Peter Thorne we were linked with him last season

Phil Jevons top of my shopping list last season

Clarke comes way down your list and my few additions , IMO of course :) but I agree we do need another Striker unfortunatly Ricketts didnt work out but understand the thinking behind it.

It's a pity it also didnt work out with Chris Hall , he had the potential but didnt come through consistently enough.

Add

Peter Thorne we were linked with him last season

Phil Jevons top of my shopping list last season

Clarke comes way down your list and my few additions , IMO of course :) but I agree we do need another Striker unfortunatly Ricketts didnt work out but understand the thinking behind it.

It's a pity it also didnt work out with Chris Hall , he had the potential but didnt come through consistently enough.

Both are good players - I would love Jevo here - but think he might be one of the few players to ecape the cutting of the dross from that town team - which is why i think Beckett would be available, and would be cheap... if we wanted a Hughes stand in, then we could do a lot worse (and a lot more expensicve) than the identikit, slower, less composed, slightly less skillful version... :wink:

We are looking for a 2nd/3rd choice striker... so I agree it would be stupid to break the bank... and wouldnt stop all transfer activity to prat about waiting for a clarke to make up his mind ... so I would like a gamble on a Houbertz, Oli or a beckett... and see what happens...

Guest oa_exile
Both are good players - I would love Jevo here - but think he might be one of the few players to ecape the cutting of the dross from that town team - which is why i think Beckett would be available, and would be cheap... if we wanted a Hughes stand in, then we could do a lot worse (and a lot more expensicve) than the identikit, slower, less composed, slightly less skillful version... :wink:

We are looking for a 2nd/3rd choice striker... so I agree it would be stupid to break the bank... and wouldnt stop all transfer activity to prat about waiting for a clarke to make up his mind ... so I would like a gamble on a Houbertz, Oli or a beckett... and see what happens...

We need another good striker , no doubt about it , if the new man is first choice or sitting on the bench , who knows ? but i would be surprised if Davies and Hughes can play 46+ games.

I am sure Shez is doing his homework as we type :wink:

Think everyone is forgetting the 4-5-1 formation that worked so well for us at Donny and Huddersfield - I like this formation, and is the new 'in formation' as used by Liverpool and england... to play this formation you need the two anchoring midfield players - which eardley and Allott would do admirably - as you say MR lids could do this role... but if we could hold on to Jarrett, that would be a better option as he has already proved...

What this formation also does is takes out the need for anyone particulalry creative in the centre... its all about pressure and husltle... and the attacking player bringing the ball forward and playing the link role to support the striker... something else which makes me think that a Jarrett would be better than a liddell...

You also need two flying wingers who will cut inside and make a 4-3-3 ... meaning also playing a wide player on the wrong side would work...

for me, a 4-5-1 looking like the following would be a great formation - and really exciting.....

................Hughes

However - I dont for a second think Eardley will be here next year! But that formation looks great to me....

Looks decent. However, it's common knowledge that Shez doesn't want Davies in the wings. He wants him in the box, because he regards him as a striker. Also, restricting him to the right also means, when he does drop deep and moves into the channels, he won't be able to get onto the left of the park.

I don't think we'll see the 4-5-1 much next season, tbh. I think it was used because it's all we had which fitted naturally with the lads we had at the time.

Agree there – both me and BP1960, who I taught every he knows about scouting, have advocated giving Eardley a run in the middle of the park. He’s got bags of energy, comfortable on the ball, he can tackle. Also, if he gets a few opportunities to crack a ball from distance one of them is going to fly in, it gives us another option with balls breaking from set plays. Maybe next season we could play Lomax at RB and move Taylor to LB?

Thanks Grandad :grin:

The 4-5-1 looks good - its a 4-2-3-1 really.

Whilst we're suggesting forwards I quite like the look of Gary Alexander.

I think whoever we get (within reason) will do though and complete our strongest collection of strikers for quite some time (like when we had Ricketts) :)