Sign Him Up!

Wotton among five to leave Argyle

Wotton made his Argyle debut as a 17-year-old in 1995 (Getty)

Club captain Paul Wotton is among five senior players set to leave Plymouth when their deals expire this summer.

The 30-year-old has played 439 games for Argyle, and captained his only club to two promotions in 2002 and 2004.

Striker Nick Chadwick, 25, will also be released, along with veterans Lilian Nalis and Lee Hodges.

Goalkeepers Luke McCormick and Romain Larrieu have signed extended deals, but full-back Paul Connolly is set to leave after refusing a new contract.

Youngsters Reuben Reid and Jake Moult are also set to depart after not being offered new deals.

I have never worked with a more dedicated or honest footballer

Paul Sturrock on Paul Wotton

Speaking to the club's website, manager Paul Sturrock said his decision not to offer a new contract to Wotton was taken after a lot of soul-searching.

"He was in the first Argyle side I ever picked, for an FA Cup-tie at Chester in 2000, and the fact that he was the last-man standing from that team - eight years and three divisions later - speaks volumes for the man," said Sturrock.

"I can honestly say that I have never worked with a more dedicated or honest footballer. His commitment to his profession should be held up as an example to anyone who wants to play the game.

"I toyed with offering him a short-term contract, but, in the end, I felt that would have been an insult to someone who has played nearly 450 games for the club. I have too much respect for him to do that.

"He may prove my judgment wrong - and that wouldn't be a first for him - and come back to bite us on the bum, but managers are paid to make big calls, however tough, and I have made mine."

Wotton among five to leave Argyle

Wotton made his Argyle debut as a 17-year-old in 1995 (Getty)

Club captain Paul Wotton is among five senior players set to leave Plymouth when their deals expire this summer.

The 30-year-old has played 439 games for Argyle, and captained his only club to two promotions in 2002 and 2004.

Striker Nick Chadwick, 25, will also be released, along with veterans Lilian Nalis and Lee Hodges.

Goalkeepers Luke McCormick and Romain Larrieu have signed extended deals, but full-back Paul Connolly is set to leave after refusing a new contract.

Youngsters Reuben Reid and Jake Moult are also set to depart after not being offered new deals.

I have never worked with a more dedicated or honest footballer

Paul Sturrock on Paul Wotton

Speaking to the club's website, manager Paul Sturrock said his decision not to offer a new contract to Wotton was taken after a lot of soul-searching.

"He was in the first Argyle side I ever picked, for an FA Cup-tie at Chester in 2000, and the fact that he was the last-man standing from that team - eight years and three divisions later - speaks volumes for the man," said Sturrock.

"I can honestly say that I have never worked with a more dedicated or honest footballer. His commitment to his profession should be held up as an example to anyone who wants to play the game.

"I toyed with offering him a short-term contract, but, in the end, I felt that would have been an insult to someone who has played nearly 450 games for the club. I have too much respect for him to do that.

"He may prove my judgment wrong - and that wouldn't be a first for him - and come back to bite us on the bum, but managers are paid to make big calls, however tough, and I have made mine."

I'd go along with that, wages and all allowing - would give the experience we've lacked at times this season, and from memory (and football manager) i think he can operate from CB / RB & DM:CM - would be like signing 4 players in 1!!

Chadwick might be worth a punt too - lost his way slightly since leaving Everton, but still only 25, and has scored goals in the Prem & Champ???

I'd go along with that, wages and all allowing - would give the experience we've lacked at times this season, and from memory (and football manager) i think he can operate from CB / RB & DM:CM - would be like signing 4 players in 1!!

Chadwick might be worth a punt too - lost his way slightly since leaving Everton, but still only 25, and has scored goals in the Prem & Champ???

Looking at Woorons stats on http://www.pafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profi...4~10544,00.html loks like he can chip in with a fair few goals from midfield too with 12 in one season! I would expect him to stay down south though if he has been there all his life it would be a big change coming up north.....i think definately Chadwick and even Nallis could do a job here even if he is 36!

Looking at Woorons stats on http://www.pafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profi...4~10544,00.html loks like he can chip in with a fair few goals from midfield too with 12 in one season! I would expect him to stay down south though if he has been there all his life it would be a big change coming up north.....i think definately Chadwick and even Nallis could do a job here even if he is 36!

How many were penalties? Didn't he used to take them for them?

Chadwick as well though - yes!

he's a southerner...and i'll wager he'll stay there.

Yeah, you're right. Would be a cracking signing, but Plymouth born and bred I think so very doubtful he'd come to us. The likes of Yeovil or Swindon could be in with a shout though.

And I had an eyebrow raised about Chadwick but his strike rate's been pretty sheite at Plymouth in all honesty. Could be worth a punt as back up to our main strikers though.

Yeah, you're right. Would be a cracking signing, but Plymouth born and bred I think so very doubtful he'd come to us. The likes of Yeovil or Swindon could be in with a shout though.

And I had an eyebrow raised about Chadwick but his strike rate's been pretty sheite at Plymouth in all honesty. Could be worth a punt as back up to our main strikers though.

has chadwick been a regular this season,if so i don't think he'll be willing to come here and sit on the bench and play second fiddle for a club a division lower imo.

Sounds like the same type of player as Allott, do we need another player like that in the centre of midfield. Very good player yes but too similar to Allott and I can't see either being happy fighting over the same starting place.

I think Leeds confirmed a play off palce tonight.

If they did go up, are there any players we would like to bring in, even of they didn't go up for that matter.

Wages permitteing, of course.

They have got this player whose name begins with K... cant quite remember his name, but heard he is pretty decent.. :wink: (oh.. and I dont mean Kandol!)

Think leon will defo be available if they go up... and love to have him back, however i'm sure there will be a fight for his signature... to be honest, pretty much all of Leeds' team would be an asset to any league 1 side...

Wouldnt think Prutton would make the step up either - could be the experience we need in midfield...

has chadwick been a regular this season,if so i don't think he'll be willing to come here and sit on the bench and play second fiddle for a club a division lower imo.

as is said, no where near a regular... and strongly associated as part of a bid for Porter ages back... I just think there may be deeper issues with him, great pedigree, but no-one has looked at him, I'd imagine his wages are stupid after coming from the prem, and that might be a stumbling block to league 1... Like the rumoured wages Clarke is on, it may just leave him in limbo, and needing a wage cut if he wants employment next year...