Alan Groves RIP

In a seperate post Greganator highlights the marvellous relationship between Grovesey and the Ford Stand Paddock.

Due to age struggle to remember AG but obviously aware of his massive part in our history.

One question, could anyone inform why such an influential player was sold to a rival, simply a case of money ?????

Very interested.

Just asked my dad, he says that even after being a regular in the side for so long, he was suddenly left out for a few games.

Then when he did get on the pitch, funnily enough against Blackpool, he lamped one of their players after being hacked down a few times, and was soon sold to Blackpool!

So it looks like Jimmy Frizz fell out with him, possibly due to Alan's temper.

I saw him come on as substitute for Bournemouth and tear Latics apart, why a player of such immense talent was only sub no one seems to know.

Maybe if he hadn't played that day Latics wouldn't have been alerted to his skills and he would have signed for someone else.

Some call it luck, some call it fate.

Just asked my dad, he says that even after being a regular in the side for so long, he was suddenly left out for a few games.

Then when he did get on the pitch, funnily enough against Blackpool, he lamped one of their players after being hacked down a few times, and was soon sold to Blackpool!

So it looks like Jimmy Frizz fell out with him, possibly due to Alan's temper.

bit like allan smart... lamped one of ours (shez me thinks!) and then came in on loan within a few days

In a seperate post Greganator highlights the marvellous relationship between Grovesey and the Ford Stand Paddock.

Due to age struggle to remember AG but obviously aware of his massive part in our history.

One question, could anyone inform why such an influential player was sold to a rival, simply a case of money ?????

Very interested.

Certainly wasn't for the money. Seem to recall it was only a nominal fee we got. At the time we sold him he seemed to have fallen out of favour with Sir Jim. Was still gutted when he was sold though.

Guest oa_exile
cant remember that. he didnt come in on loan did he?

No he didnt come on loan , we signed him from Watford for £225K , sacked him , and he signed for Dundee Utd

Guest oa_exile
My memory may be failing me but wasn't he on loan at Stoke when he did the lamping, then signed for us shortly after?

He "lamped" Darren Sheridan in a reserve game playing for Stoke V's Latics

Actually it was John Sheridan in a First XI game at the Britannia. Smart came on as sub with literally seconds remaining. Lamped Shez, got a red card the ref blew his whistle. Pillock! Worst thing about the whole Smart debacle was that he wasn't a bad player. Scored some belters for us but obviously never really wanted to be here and been on a downward spiral since scoring in Watford's Play Off triumph vs Bolton in '99.

Guest oa_exile
Actually it was John Sheridan in a First XI game at the Britannia. Smart came on as sub with literally seconds remaining. Lamped Shez, got a red card the ref blew his whistle. Pillock! Worst thing about the whole Smart debacle was that he wasn't a bad player. Scored some belters for us but obviously never really wanted to be here and been on a downward spiral since scoring in Watford's Play Off triumph vs Bolton in '99.

Do I get half a point for right team , same surname ? :grin:

My memory may be failing me but wasn't he on loan at Stoke when he did the lamping, then signed for us shortly after?

wasn't far off the mark then was i??