Polish target....

Any ideas left winger in his 20's playing for a polish top flight club?

Athletic target Polish player

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC have targeted a Polish midfielder in their quest to discover fresh talent for next season.

Assistant manager Tommy Wright revealed that a recent scouting trip unearthed the left-sided player, who could be brought over to Boundary Park as Athletic want to take an extended look.

The player, in his mid-20s, made a big impression on Wright when he watched two games in Poland’s top division.

Athletic are keen to strengthen their left side during the summer and are now seeking ways to pursue their interest.

Wright said: “Poland has become quite a popular place for finding players, although it can be difficult to get them away from their clubs.

“I saw a couple of decent players when I was over there, and we would like to bring one lad in particular over here.

“I’m not saying anything would definitely would come of it, but he did very well and is well worth looking at again.

“It’s awkward because the season in Poland is still going on, but we are in contact with agents and we’ll do what we can.”

Athletic have enquired about several players as they look to make early moves into the transfer market.

They have also brought in trialists over the last few weeks and given them a chance to impress at reserve-team level.

Last night, however, the reserves ended their season with a 5-0 drubbing at Bradford City.

It ended a miserable season in the Pontin’s Holiday League, with Athletic collecting only six points from 22 fixtures.

They achieved one victory and three draws, scoring 20 goals, conceding 70 and finishing with 10 consecutive defeats.

But the club’s massive injury problems filtered down beyond the first team and coach Lee Duxbury often struggled to raise a side, even using members of the under-16 squad against opposition players with vast experience.

Athletic will not be entering a league next season as they plan to arrange regular friendlies according to their own needs.

“Poland has become quite a popular place for finding players, although it can be difficult to get them away from their clubs.

Judging from the amount of Polish workers there are over here, I doubt that is true! Hell... I suppose its as per the norm, Poles are well known for coming over here and working very hard in jobs the Britsh dont want to do - Playing for Latics would definitely suit then!

Judging from the amount of Polish workers there are over here, I doubt that is true! Hell... I suppose its as per the norm, Poles are well known for coming over here and working very hard in jobs the Britsh dont want to do - Playing for Latics would definitely suit then!

So that's it then - our left side midfielder solved, as no bugger else wants it!!!!

Jarko Sweetleftfootovic on the left and Taylor on the right, sorted!!!

It could help attendances, although probably more at certain away games as I don't think Oldham has that big a Polish population compared to other areas (although I could be wrong).

Also, if his missus looks anything like the Polish women at my work there could be a rush for main stand season tickets :gorgeous:

Also, if his missus looks anything like the Polish women at my work there could be a rush for main stand season tickets :gorgeous:

well theres a polish girl who works in the shop now and i bet shes on a cheap wage and they thought hmmmm polish players = small wage bill = less money going out and more money in our pocket

well theres a polish girl who works in the shop now and i bet shes on a cheap wage and they thought hmmmm polish players = small wage bill = less money going out and more money in our pocket

They can buy players from whatever country they want. This will be cheaper way of buying players. As long as we do not become like Arsenal :lol:

It could help attendances, although probably more at certain away games as I don't think Oldham has that big a Polish population compared to other areas (although I could be wrong).

I think you are wrong, theres loads of them!

The only thing is, they all have very low paid jobs, so cant see them paying £20 to come to a footy game.

They can buy players from whatever country they want. This will be cheaper way of buying players. As long as we do not become like Arsenal :lol:

Do we have to BUY players from outside England or can they do a Porter, or was that 'cos it was within the UK, I can't remember. Does any one with a younger brain than mine know?

Guest sheridans_world
Do we have to BUY players from outside England or can they do a Porter, or was that 'cos it was within the UK, I can't remember. Does any one with a younger brain than mine know?

No, you can sign anyone who is out-of-contract (as Porter was) without paying a fee. If the player is under contract, the two clubs agree a fee or the polish club cuts its losses stating that Sweetleftfootovic is rubbish anyway and we get him on a free :grin:

Guest M_OAFC
I think you are wrong, theres loads of them!

The only thing is, they all have very low paid jobs, so cant see them paying £20 to come to a footy game.

There's loads of them where I live. I've never seen their bank statements but the jobs they do, the cars they drive and the phones and sky digitial set ups etc belonging to the ones I know well enough would suggest they are no worse off than most people in Oldham.

However, even if they can afford it I just don't think that a Polish player or two at BP would be enough persuade them to part with £20 to watch a club they otherwise know little and care little about. Would be fantastic if I'm wrong though

So that's it then - our left side midfielder solved, as no bugger else wants it!!!!

Jarko Sweetleftfootovic on the left and Taylor on the right, sorted!!!

I've put this Jarko Sweetleftfootovic fellas name into soccerbase and can't get a match. :grin:

Maybe its a mis-spelling. :wink:

Guest oa_exile
I've put this Jarko Sweetleftfootovic fellas name into soccerbase and can't get a match. :grin:

Maybe its a mis-spelling. :wink:

That's because his first name cant be Jarko >> J << :wink:

Pick one :grin:

Jacek -- see Hiacynt

Jacinta -- see Hiacynta

Jadwiga (Hedwig, Hattie) -- Blessed Hedwig, Queen of Poland February 28; Hedwig, patroness of Silesia October 16

Jakub (Jacob, James) -- James the Lesser Apostle May 1 and 11; James the Greater, Apostle July 25

Jan (John) -- John Chrysostom January 27; John of Matha February 8; John of God March 8; John Damascene March 27; John Capistran March 28; John the Apostle, Before the Latin Gate May 6; John Lithuanian, April 14; John of San Facundo June 12; John Gualbert July 12; John of Dukla, patron of Poland and Lithuania July 10 and September 28; John of the Cross November 24; John, Apostle and Evangelist December 27

Jan Baptysta, Jan Chrzciciel (John the Baptist) -- birth of June 24; beheading of August 29

Jan Jozef (John Joseph) -- March 5

Jan Kanty (John Cantius) -- patron of Poland and Lithuania October 20

Jan Nepomucen (John Nepomucene) -- patron of Czechoslovakia May 16

Januariusz (Januarius, January, John) -- September 19

Jerzy (George) -- patron of England and Germany April 23

Joachim, Joakim (Joachim) -- August 16

Joanna (Joanne, Jane, Jean, Joan, Jennie) -- Joan of Arc May 30; Jane Frances de Chantal August 21

Jolanta, Jolenta (Yolanda) -- Blessed Jolenta (Helen of Poland), Polish/Hungarian, June 12 and 14

Jozef (Joseph) -- Joseph, father of Jesus March 19; Joseph the Workman May 1; Joseph of Cupertino September 18

Jozefa, Jozefina (Josephine) -- feminine of Jozef

Jozefat (Josaphat) -- Polish/Lithuanian, November 14

Julia (Julia, Julie) -- May 22

Julian (Julian) -- January 9

Juliana (Julianna, Julie) -- Juliana Falconieri June 19

Justin, Justyn (Justin) -- April 14

Justina, Justyna (Justina) -- September 26

However, even if they can afford it I just don't think that a Polish player or two at BP would be enough persuade them to part with £20 to watch a club they otherwise know little and care little about. Would be fantastic if I'm wrong though

Slightly pedantic of me as I get the point you are both making but cheapest matchday ticket price next season will be £17 (if bought in advance), not the quoted £20.

Thought it was worth mentioning so we know the true prices when trying to persuade Jarko Potentiallaticsfanovic to come to BP :grin:

Slightly pedantic of me as I get the point you are both making but cheapest matchday ticket price next season will be £17 (if bought in advance), not the quoted £20.

Thought it was worth mentioning so we know the true prices when trying to persuade Jarko Potentiallaticsfanovic to come to BP :grin:

Just to say - anyone know what squad number Jarko Potentiallaticsheroontheleftovic is going to be??

need to start saving up/get a second mortgage to get his name put on the back of my shirt... and let the club shop they might have to get some extra letters in...

Just to say - anyone know what squad number Jarko Potentiallaticsheroontheleftovic is going to be??

need to start saving up/get a second mortgage to get his name put on the back of my shirt... and let the club shop they might have to get some extra letters in...

Better just to have 'Jarko' on the back. I'd hold fire if I was you - I think Jarko Potentiallaticsheroontheleftovic may just be a made up name to throw other clubs off the scent.

Jarko Potentiallaticsheroontheleftovic - the new Danny Knight :D

Edited by oafc_ok

Does anyone know what part of Poland they went off to Wasn't it players playing in the top Polish division, as well? If we could get the area, we could then check the sides within that area who are in the top division, and we could get a translation on their sites, and there might be a little rumour on them. :D

Does anyone know what part of Poland they went off to Wasn't it players playing in the top Polish division, as well? If we could get the area, we could then check the sides within that area who are in the top division, and we could get a translation on their sites, and there might be a little rumour on them. :D

Probably just easier to keep an eye on Donnys website... sure they will announce the signing before we know about it!

.. we could look on the polish websites.. see if a strange english midget with TW on his sweatshirt has been snooping around... or we could just look for which team has a player called Jarko Tommywrighthasspottedmeandicankicktheballwithmyleftfooovic and we could be on to a winner...

Probably just easier to keep an eye on Donnys website... sure they will announce the signing before we know about it!

.. we could look on the polish websites.. see if a strange english midget with TW on his sweatshirt has been snooping around... or we could just look for which team has a player called Jarko Tommywrighthasspottedmeandicankicktheballwithmyleftfooovic and we could be on to a winner...

Or a Scottish midget...